SY-300 - Why so few patches

Started by sleidia, May 04, 2016, 04:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleidia

Hi,

I'm on Windows Vista and since Boss Tone Studio can't be installed on this version, I have to upgrade to Windows 7.

I'm willing to go through this hassle only if Boss Tone Studio offers lots of patches produced by its users and not only the patches found here : http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/sy-300/

Is it the case? Do people share lots of patches within this piece of software?

Elantric

QuoteDo people share lots of patches within this piece of software?

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=191.0

sleidia

Thanks Elantric but the questions was :

"Do people share lots of patches within this piece of software?"

If I have to look for new patches on this forum or on other places instead of having them directly shared inside Boss Tone Studio, I think I'll pass.

Elantric

If you want "official" Boss Tone Central patches for SY-300 go here
http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/sy-300/

If you want user created SY-300 Patches that VGuitarforums members created or want to share SY-300 patches you created  - go  here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=191.0

We use Boss Tone Studio for SY-300 to save/ load SY-300 patches from either source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista
Learn how by reading the BTS for SY-300 Tutorial / User Guide
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15397.0

I dont know of any alternative. ( And Windows Vista is 10 years old)

sleidia

I see. Thanks. But not to sound rude here, the number of patches available in this forum is veeeery limited ... and they're not the type of sounds I'm looking for anyway (too classic, no originality). Looks like I'll have to continue producing them myself if Boss Tone Studio isn't able to offer a proper sharing platform by itself :(

Elantric

QuoteBut not to sound rude here, the number of patches available in this forum is veeeery limited

Then find a better tool that fits your expectations and needs - or get to work and make new SY-300 patches and share them 

The Boss SY-300 is still relatively new  - less than a year old.

Today's popular Roland GR-55 had a similar "low patch count" during its first year after release too.
http://web.archive.org/web/20120415062848/https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=67.0

QuoteLooks like I'll have to continue producing them myself if Boss Tone Studio isn't able to offer a proper sharing platform by itself :(

Roland / Boss in USA have never provided a means or platform for user to user patch sharing, and they have no intentions to alter that position anytime soon.  Roland / Boss in USA do not have anything equivalent to the broad user to user patch sharing resources available from their competition. Being a frustrated Roland / Boss user was the principal reason we created VGuitarforums

Story of VGuitarforums
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7912.0

sleidia

hmmm the "better tools" don't seem to exist :(

I wish Boss would be smart enough to allow patches sharing from within Boss Tone Studio so that their customers don't have to search the web for patches scattered everywhere.

I'd bother installing Windows 7 and sharing my existing patches if the sharing functionality did exist within the software  ... but unfortunately it isn't the case.

Elantric

QuoteI wish Boss would be smart enough to allow patches sharing from within Boss Tone Studio so that their customers don't have to search the web for patches scattered everywhere.

me too

tell them

https://www.facebook.com/BOSS

Autana

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

BBach

To me the SY-300 is the kind of instrument where you design a patch to fit the music that your working on. I suppose there are patches that have universal utility or ones that lend themselves to minor tweaking to make them your own, but the patches respond to your playing technique in such a way that you might miss a gem if you don't have an intimate sense of how they were meant to be played and the musical context envisioned during their creation. It's a very personal instrument. You probably won't use it all the time, but it's really nice to have.

sleidia

Maybe they should ask some help from Yamaha :
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/01/09/yamaha-debuts-soundmondo-a-social-sound-sharing-site-for-synths/
https://soundmondo.yamahasynth.com/
... who seem to know one or two things about sharing platforms.

Quote from: Autana on May 04, 2016, 07:44:59 PM
Yes, tell them and sign the book

sleidia

Personally, I use the SY-300 as a synth, not as a guitar effect.
I mean that my guitar sounds like anything but a guitar when I play my sounds which are more like acid/noisy synths.

The sounds I've found here are too close to a guitar sound.

I really enjoy the "not from this earth" kind of sounds you can produce with the machine.

And each of such sounds forces you to play the guitar in totally new ways.

Beside that, I don't produce any music :)

Producing weird sounds and fooling around with them with my guitar is enough to keep me happy.

Quote from: BBach on May 04, 2016, 08:04:24 PM
To me the SY-300 is the kind of instrument where you design a patch to fit the music that your working on. I suppose there are patches that have universal utility or ones that lend themselves to minor tweaking to make them your own, but the patches respond to your playing technique in such a way that you might miss a gem if you don't have an intimate sense of how they were meant to be played and the musical context envisioned during their creation. It's a very personal instrument. You probably won't use it all the time, but it's really nice to have.

chrish

Quote from: sleidia on May 04, 2016, 08:44:40 PM
Personally, I use the SY-300 as a synth, not as a guitar effect.
I mean that my guitar sounds like anything but a guitar when I play my sounds which are more like acid/noisy synths.

The sounds I've found here are too close to a guitar sound.

I really enjoy the "not from this earth" kind of sounds you can produce with the machine.

And each of such sounds forces you to play the guitar in totally new ways.

Beside that, I don't produce any music :)

Producing weird sounds and fooling around with them with my guitar is enough to keep me happy.
From what you describe here, i would say that you are producing music. That happens when you create a sound and hit a note. Just happens that way. Consider some of the positive points. Internet searches are fast, so patches are not hard to find. More patches will be available as time goes on as long as folks are willing to share them on sites like this. Once you get a bank of the type of sounds that you enjoy, you have then programed the parameters neccessary for randomness (within the blender function) to work in your favor in creating many more (fast) patches of a simular type that may also be further tweeked to your liking. This creates  even more parameters for randomness. The total number of different sounds that can be created in this manor is mind boggling. It is very cool, imo, that Roland company policy inadvertanly leads to the creation of sites like this outside of the corporate structure.  I like the crazy sounds also, such as the ones that are just about to get out of control if you pick the string a little to hard.    One other positive, you are now a member of this forum, where you are at this very thread moment providing a different point of view that furthers  education. Just happens that way.

Brak(E)man

Im wondering why there's not more patches.
I know that I should be programming mine
and I wonder why I'm not ?
With VG 8, 88 , 99 I was programming sounds from day one.
And I've been around synths since prophet 5 , mini moog , korg ms20 , oberheim , Waldorf etc etc
So I'm used to programming synths and using them with a guitar

So why ?

Anyone ?
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

sixeight

With the GP10 there were only a few patches at the beginning as well.  Then Ainsoph joined in and generated a lot of patches which inspired others in turn.

The same hopefully will happen with the SY300.

acousticglue

It took me a bit to discover that the Live Sets are the way to import and export. I am not a synth creative type mind but I have fiddled about and am enjoying the unit moreso. It is a 70s type synth? Absolutely! But is fun. I wish they were adding even more routing and oscillator sounds in it. Or make into a rompler. Cool thing is you only have 99 user presets but can create many live sets and pull in and out of rotation.

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Autana on May 04, 2016, 07:44:59 PM
Yes, tell them and sign the book

I love this, but will not be holding my breath ???

Rhcole

The SY-300 is great fun to program. I have a number of patches to load, but all of my stuff is in boxes from a recent move.
Will get to them soon.

JeffVolume

I too am waiting on third party sy-300 patches...  I got a korg Minilogue which was only relased earlier this year and there are already several third party patch sets available...there seems to be a market for the gifted programmers to exploit here :)

Elantric

QuoteI too am waiting on third party sy-300 patches...

Not to single anyone out - but I suggest dont wait for patches or wait for perfection. Life is too short, learn to program the sounds you seek by posting any of your "work in progress" SY-300 patches, and allow other members of the forum to review with Boss Tone Studio, make edits and help polish them up and make them better. In this manner we all learn and benefit. Same routine as we did with VG-99 and GR-55 and GP-10 and . . .

Kevin M

Try Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook for some great tips (almost step by step) for building some of the classic sounds.

chrish

Let's not forget that this thing has a blender function that will produce many interesting patches. First replace as many of the user patches with all the patches in the patch exchange and the roland artist live sets that interest you.  Combined with patches that are already stored in the 'P' banks, you will have the most number of variables for the blender function random selection of fx chains and oscs chains. If the blender produces something that you like, write down the blender number settings for the 3 oscs and fx chain from the patch where the blender  made the randon selection. Then try  manually changing just the fx chain or one of the oscs until you find another patch that you like. Save that patch that you just created. Then go to a patch that you don't like, press the blender button and  enter the ocs and fx chain settings numbers that you wrote down.. Save. You now have two new patches that you can further edit the modulation, and all the other synth parameters contained in the unit. A simple change is just changing the wave form or the pitch of one of the oscs or the fx routing. Save that new creation that you like.Continue this process and the blender will start making more of the patches that you enjoy.  Since i'm into pads and ambient tones i found that the patches that i enjoy are made  up of the fx chains from the roland and rhcole pads.  One thing about some pads is that they can be used as simply as just adding a quite tone 'color' to fx like reverb and delay. If you listen to acoustic instrument reverb and delays in nature, there are many tones color reflections which, besides the instrument tone, are further shaped by the surfaces that bounce the waves (and air).  I'll try to post a patch and example, but that means a trip to the library for computer internet access, and it's hard to leave the bee farm this time of the year. edit spelling

Rhcole

Imagine the SY-300 as a kitchen stocked with foods that need to be prepared and cooked. If you expect somebody else to cook for you there may be a few missed meals.

I don't expect anybody else to program patches for me because I have my own tastes, and I make patches that make me happy. I share some of my best with this forum because it is a way that I can give back for all of the help and camaraderie that I receive here. 

Boss has patches available online via Tone Studio, but I don't even check them out. I'm getting close to the point where I can make the SY do anything I want it to do or know that it is incapable.

The SY is not a home organ with preset cha-cha rhythms. It is designed for tweakers and experimentation. In that way it reminds me of the VG-99.

It might be worth learning to cook.

chrish

Rhc,Your patches do make good food stuff for the blender. And tasty on their own. :-) Thanks again for sharing them.