Review: BOSS DR880

Started by myksara, January 22, 2013, 03:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbob

There is a Yahoo DR-880 user group with some very helpful knowledgeable members.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/BossDR880/

Not a lot of activity lately but when a question is posted responses and answers seem to appear pretty quickly.

You have to apply to be a member of the group.

Bob

myksara

Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Zeebop-1

Thanks for the help.  Appreciate it.

Athelstan12

Quote from:  myksara on August 28, 2013, 11:11:52 PM
This dvd is a must buy for this complex device
http://proaudiodvds.com/store/drum-machines/roland-boss-dr-880-dvd-tutorial/

Your not kidding! I've had one for 3 years now,wouldn't be without it- but I'm still learning stuff I never discovered before,it's one complex machine for sure.

Athelstan12

Quote from: myksara on July 07, 2013, 06:57:10 AM
@athelstan12: Sounds great! Can you please add more details around how you link them up and use?

@myksara....sorry about the late reply,I'd forgotton about this thread,I'm not that 'high techie' enough,to utilise the DR880 as a Midi tool,all I do is simply this:-feed my guitar into my GR-55, then out through the Headphone socket to the input of the DR 880, and the headphone socket out from there, as I said,I'm not utilising its full potential,I suppose,but it does me,sorry I can't be of any more help.

tekrytor

I have a Jam Station and it is not bad but it is not user friendly by today's standards. I really like EasyBand Studio on Android for similar functionality as accompaniment. It is so easy to use and has enough features to make it a great deal for the money, I think I paid $6.99, as a "poor man's Jam Station". And, I can carry it around on my phone so instead of playing Angry Birds or whatever when I'm waiting somewhere, I pop in my ear buds and work on a tune, or four or five. It's really fast and easy to compose on and I use the headphone out into the aux-in on my GR-55 or via Bluetooth for wireless. Most accompanist apps or boxes have their unavoidable "canned catfood odor" patterns IMO, and EasyBand is no exception, but it has some creative ones too. I've used most, e.g. Roland, Yamaha, Casio, etc. and IMO, you won't find more bang for the buck than EasyBand for fighting one-man-band syndrome. I'm sure there are similar apps for Apple campers.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

ZenSonic

myksara

One of the major shortcomings of DR880 is that there is no A/B pattern and fills that you can use on the fly live. I believe the alesis has that feature. If BOSS could come up with a new drum machine with all the current features of a DR880 plus the live A/B patterns, fills,intro,outro and memory card slot it would be unbeatable! BOSS always falls short of being the BOSS!
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2