Show us your VGuitar gear ...

Started by GrinPicker, March 09, 2009, 12:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanti

Thanks Code Smart  a bit closer of this beauty,hope you enjoy it :)  tracks so fast!! & easy to play...
Variax 300,Roland GI20,Roland XV202,Yamaha VL70m(Patcham) Akai EWI 4000s,Roland GK3,Sonuus I2M,Fisham FTP,Iconnect IMIDI4+,Kontakt 5
Sax & flutes as well--main instr.

vxboogie

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

alexmcginness

Quote from: DML on September 20, 2015, 01:53:55 AM
Finaly, here is the info :)

The whole construction consists of 18mm plywood (birch).
The lower board is 835 x 375mm.
The upper board is 835 x 185mm.
The sides are also 18mm thick and 68mm high. Left side measures 100mm wide, right side is 60mm wide and
the front panel is 835mm wide.
To keep the back of the GT accessible you want to open up the upper board, so you need two or three hinges and two magnets.
Paint is black latex paint, three or four layers. Apply with a paint roller.

This is the way to go with this stuff. Learn to build your own and youll save lots of cash and always be able to get exactly what you need. I took the same approach with the desk for my studio. I wanted an Argosy console but by the time I got it over the border and the exchange rate and duty it would have been over $7k for the desk I wanted. I built the whole thing for under a grand including the tools and it was my first wood working project ever.
   Its great to see someone else doing the DIY thing. New aproaches are always welcome.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

carlb

My GP-10 based rig.

Here it's ready for a musical play, "Spitfire Grill." In the pit I'm doing alternate tunings for dreadnaught guitar along with mandolin parts on-the-fly.

The GP-10 has mandolin input to the 1/4" 'GUITAR IN' jack, the SH-575 guitar input is to the 13-pin jack. Three separate patches with completely separate EQ, etc.: Mando, Steel String, and Faux Mandolin. The last is for the times where there aren't enough bars between instrument changes: fake the mando on the guitar. Modeling the steel string, and alternate tunings via 13-pin and the GP-10. The 'steel-string' patch has alternate tunings available on the FS-7 footswitch.

Because I keep the GP-10 on the top of the FRFR powered speaker for easier gig-editing, I need more floor controls than the GP-10 has jacks for. The expression pedal is volume for the mandolin, the FS-7 choosing among alternate tunings, and the MIDI-Mouse switching up and down between patches while giving visual readout of patch number.

To make that happen, I'm using Codesmart's excellent MIDX-20 USB to MIDI converter for the GP-10. Work perfectly, and gives me expression and footswitch inputs at the same time. Simply a brilliant box.

On top of the GP-10's expression pedal is a Key 9 from EHX. For my combo gigs, gives me some superb voices to expand what the audience will hear. I bring that into the GP-10 via the "hidden" effects loop that the GP-10 has. So, that's just one more patch via the MIDI-Mouse. (The Key 9 is unhooked for this pit-band gig though, as the mando needs the 1/4" input.)

Power to the GP-10, Key 9, MIDX-20, and a BBE Sonic Maximizer (mounted on the opposite side of the rig), is all via a Snark SA-1 9V eliminator, daisy-chained from box to box. It's able to power all of them without the noise problems I've had with other brands.

Setup is be 'grab-n-go,' plug in the power, instruments, and control pedals and it's ready to play. All connections that can be are permanent, with cable ties to keep them in place. When done, unplug the power, up goes the handle, and off I go.

The spacer that tilts the rig up toward me doubles as the top protector for the GP-10 and Key 9 when in transit. The rig parts are mounted to a heavy-duty airport dolly: 50 watt FRFR self-powereed PA, GP-10, power supply, BBE enhancer, MIDX-20, Key 9.

As with my older VG-99 gig-rig, a cat (this time Artie) is checking out the "MIDI-Mouse' patch changing pedal. What is it about cats and mice?

guitar rig by Carl B, on Flickr
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

gumbo

"As with my older VG-99 gig-rig, a cat (this time Artie) is checking out the "MIDI-Mouse' patch changing pedal. What is it about cats and mice?"

...yeah....

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

whippinpost91850

Nice rig. I love packup and go Rigs like yours. I'm finally down to 3 pieces including large pedal board. And soon to be 2

kenact

I promise to post pictures this weekend, but thanks to spjnowak and Billy Gibbons (for not taking a package sent to him about 26 years ago), I now have a complete Passac Sentient Six. The Kahler MPX-1 bridge came from spjnowak in September, and the controller was left in Spring, TX by Billy Gibbons.

I fitted the bridge, and soldered the leads on Saturday, and my friend completed a setup on the guitar today.

I just opened the box the controller came in, and it is BRAND NEW. The plastic is still on the display. It is complete with manual, inspection cards, bridge setup guide, I mean everything, even the Passac branded stereo cable, with the zip tie still in place.

I'm so excited to finally check this out. Thanks again spjnowak. And thank you for leaving this behind Billy. :)
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Rodrigo Schwarz

Here is my new and improved Vguitar rig. I bought a Roland JC 40 amplifier and now I can use POD and GR 55 at the same time. And the two in stereo. With my band, I was only playing with the POD (connected in mono in an FRFR) and used the GR 55 only at home for experiments and recordings. But now I plug my guitar (the output of the conventional pickups) into the Pod and the stereo of the modeler into the right and left connectors of the JC front panel. The output of the GK 3 pickup goes to the Roland GR 55, which is connected in stereo to the JC effects loop. So, I can leave the volume of the guitar at zero while I make a sound with the Roland, for example. Turn down the volume of the GK 3 pickup and play with a POD tone - or the two together, but in a band, it's very easy to its became a mess. Hehehe I can also program a POD sound for the right speaker and the GR 55 for the left, for example. Not to mention the clean tone of JC 40 itself, which is so good. For the clean sounds, I have used it with the chorus of the amplifier itself, through the POD, where I programmed a patch without effects and without amplifiers (it is not the same thing that put the guitar straight in the amplifier, since the POD converts the signal, But it does not deteriorate so much the quality of the signal of the guitar). I recommend the amplifier for those who have modellers and synths. At the moment, I need to organize the cables! Sunday i gonna put the rig to test with my band.
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

vtgearhead

The "Effects Rack from Hell (tm)" is coming to completion and I'd like to post photos.  Problem is:  I have no idea how to do that!  Do I need to host them elsewhere and link to them or is there a built-in feature that lets me put them in line?  I've uploaded them as attachments in the past, but that doesn't show them inline, IIRC.

Elantric

vtgearhead

Ok, now that I know how it's done (thanks Elantric), I'm pleased to present the fruit of my labor over the past month or so. The goal was fit all my outboard equipment into a small rack that could be lugged in a carrying case.  I've used Gator rack bags in the past, but they didn't make anything deep enough to put a pullout drawer into.  After some digging I found a Redline Odyssey 4 space case on eBay that turned out to be perfect.  Almost.  The internal rack was very cheaply built and wouldn't have survived two gigs as it was.  I ended up putting aluminum angle on all edges and several pieces of aluminum channel internally to stiffen the top and bottom. 

On paper, 4 spaces seemed like plenty of room.  In reality, not so much.  This thing is tight inside:

The original plan was to control both the GP-10 and Fender Mustang amp, thus the pair of MIDX-10 units.  But, no good plan survives the battle and I decided to switch to the Katana amp, which required a USB/Midi bridge and Beaglebone computer.  Also, a fair amount of spaghetti:

The proof is in the pudding... Does it all fit?

So far so good.  How about closed up?

Ta Da! 

Look at all those wires, Ma

Time to program everything... <sigh>

Turns out it was a good decision to use the iConnectivity mio2.  Aside from acting as a USB/5-Pin bridge, it has very extensive routing, translating and filtering features - for those smart enough to use the wretched software they provide.  After stringing it between two computers running Bome SendSX and a lot of trial and error I figured out how to set things up.  That nice purple Proel MIDI controlled EQ is a slick unit, but has very defective firmware that simply cannot tolerate MIDI traffic on channels other than the one it's configured for.  I was able to setup the second DIN out on the mio2 to drop everything on the floor except Ch.4. 

Elantric

Dig that Protel Digicurve EQ!

Clean Workbench too

Nice work

vtgearhead

Thanks!  The workbench becomes a horror when in the thick of a project, so I cleaned it a bit for the photo op.  I'm very surprised that no one makes a unit with the feature set of the Digicurve.  Behringer comes close, but lacks high and low pass filters.  I wish I knew more about Proel.  They appear to have made some solid products, but have vanished off the face of the earth.  I sent e-mail to both an Italian and British company with the same name and received no response. 

I'd love to score another one of these as a backup.

Audio quality is great, but whoever wrote their MIDI implementation should be throttled.  It's fine if sent PC or CC messages it recognizes on its listen channel, but if it sees anything - and I mean anything - else (messages on other channels, sysex, etc.) it becomes non-responsive until a recognized message is sent about a half-dozen times. Sometimes it needs a power cycle to recover.  The mio2 really saved my bacon on this point.

whippinpost91850

Looks pretty cool. I see you have been following the one cable usb connection on the UNO forum. It will interesting to see where that goes and how you will implement that

vtgearhead

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the USB conversion is not of any use to me.  I need a single-cable solution that involves 5-pin serial MIDI.  The Uno-Chip guy has one listed on his website, but it's out of stock.

whippinpost91850

I'm probably misunderstanding this as well, but then again I'm not too savvy on this stuff

aliensporebomb

Some pics of my live gigging rig as of last summer:

But, I need to get some pictures of the "big monsta" full rig with the added GP-10 now.  Hummmmm....  And both GK guitars.
And all the other effects.  But I've never actually gigged with the "big monsta".

Here's the link to the actual recording from that gig at the mounds theater sans applause and annoucements direct off the board:
https://aliensporebomb.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-the-mounds-theater-august-2016

And the reasoning for the midi cables between the RC-300 and FC-300 is so I can synch my loop time to my delay time in my patches.
Such fun.   And I forgot my Lexicon two button footswitch for increment/decrement of the loops which made things a little harder.  I really could have used that.

And the Big Sky was used pretty sparingly, just for some mild reverb of which not much was needed due to the hall being so nice at that gig.  The Mounds theater is an old theater from the turn of the century.  And, also many times it was off because my patches already have reverb to some extent.

The other guitar is the Jackson Soloist with a GK3.  This gig was the first gig for the white strat with GK and Supervee Bladerunner.

My analog rig, well, I almost need a whole separate thread for that.  It's a "big train set".   

So I've got besides this GP-10, Mesa Studio Preamp, Lexicon Vortex, TC Electronic G Sharp, Voodoo Lab Giggity, a couple of Behrenger 8-channel submixers, my Roland JC-120 - I'm sure there is more.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

vtgearhead

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on December 28, 2016, 02:32:47 PM
Looks pretty cool. I see you have been following the one cable usb connection on the UNO forum. It will interesting to see where that goes and how you will implement that

I ended up implementing my own one cable solution using the two outer pins of the MIDI cable for 9V DC.  I feed power to those pins using a little adapter inside the rack.  Makes a nice, neat solution.

whippinpost91850

Cool. I did the same thing , but currently using my Kemper remote  instead of FCB. in some ways I like the FCB better

gumtown

Is this O.C.D. or G.A.S. ?
I have never laid this stuff out in one place before.
(and this is not half of it)

There is a Boss GT3, GT5, GT6, GT6B, GT100, and not pictured is the GT001.
I previously had the GT8, GT10, GT10B.

Also
there are 2 x A.R.T. SGE mkii rack units, Boss SY-300, Roland GR-55, Boss GP-10, and Tech21 Vt-Bass pedal.
Not pictured is the Roland GR-33 and GR-20.

I think I might start selling off the stuff I don't need, free up the cash for more gear.  ;D
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on January 26, 2017, 05:37:22 PM

Also
there are 2 x A.R.T. SGE mkii rack units, Boss SY-300, Roland GR-55, Boss GP-10, and Tech21 Vt-Bass pedal.

I think I might start selling off the stuff I don't need, free up the cash for more gear.  ;D

may not be gas or ocd, may simply be that you forgot that you had so many guitar fx processers. ;-)

mbenigni

Quote from: gumtown on January 26, 2017, 05:37:22 PM

Also

I'll bet most of us have owned a similar variety - you're just uncommon in that you don't sell the old when you buy the new.  I usually sell something to help offset the cost (and the guilt), especially if I know the new gear makes it unlikely I'll ever power on what it's replacing.  (Not always the case, I know.)

admin

Quotemay not be gas or ocd, may simply be that you forgot that you had so many guitar fx processers. ;-)
Some here may not know (or forgot) for years Gumtown has supported our community by creating shareware   "Floorboard Editors" that work for bulk of the products on display

https://sourceforge.net/u/gumtownbassman/profile/

He's been doing it for Boss gear nearly 2 decades

CodeSmart

Quote from: admsustainiac on January 27, 2017, 08:02:53 AM
He's been doing it for Boss gear nearly 2 decades
...and that goes without any monetary compensation. Respect!
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!