GR-55 - Van Halen's JUMP

Started by papabuss, March 30, 2012, 08:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papabuss

I'm not sure if there's a JUMP patch for the GR 55 in this forum (didn't find one)
So I made one for the intro of this song with a special tuning -4  -4  +8 +8 +8 +8 (from low to high!)
I start with the low E string--let it flow...
then I go on to the 7th fret where I play something like the B-Chord  on strings  B  G and D (and then E on 9th and A on 5th and so on)
Sounds good. Check it out and have fun!
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

godinacssa

Hi guys,

Anybody here who have created a patch for the keyboard sound of JUMP?

Im new to this new technology although i had my GR55 last November.. but i had my Godin ACS-SA NYLON guitar a few years back and actually this is my first synth floorboard gadget. I was only using a ZOOM 606 with my Godin.

Im still exploring and trying to discover what magic GR55 can do. And that is why i need everyone's help. ;)

Thanks alot.
godinacssa

Godin ACS-SA Multiac
Ibanez Jem w/ GK3
Line 6 Variax 300 Nylon
Yamaha 12 Strings Acoustic
Line 6 Spider II Amp
Hohner Harmonica
GR55

papabuss

Hi godin
I made a patch some time ago. Look here please
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5633.0

P.S. If you want to look for something use the SEARCH function on the top right of this site.

gumtown

I have always thought this song would be bad taste to have as a 'music-on-hold' song for a suicide counselling phone service, and being put on hold.   :P
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

greekjgg

Will this patch handle the fast tracking needed during the solo?
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

papabuss

Hi greekjgg
I remember I made this patch just for the intro of the song. But you may also test it for the "middle solo part". I have not yet tried to play it..... ;)

papabuss

Just added a short mp3.....
Jump and enjoy it. ;)

ambassgray

"I start with the low E string--let it flow...
then I go on to the 7th fret where I play something like the B-Chord  on string H G and D (and then E on 9th and A on 5th and so on)"

Going to try this at home, but are you playing a 12 string?  My strat does not have an H string :-)

papabuss

Sorry that I explained it too difficult.It's H is German...but it is B in English...
If you can't get around with it I will show you the tabs....
P.S. It's not tuned to a 12 string guitar...

whippinpost91850

Papabus. I would like to see the tabs. thanks in advance. Paul

papabuss

Hi Paul
I think I played it like this on the mp3. I'm not at my system at the moment and I used the software TabEDIT the first time.
The last notes can be improved...
P.S. Don't look at the length of the tabs. They can't be correct...I learned all my guitar playing myself only with the use of my ears.... ;)

ambassgray

Papabus, I had no idea that the B string was H string in German.  I just thought you made a typo, and was giving you a hard time.  Learn something new everyday.  BTW...this patch is awesome! 

whippinpost91850

Thanks , I'll check this out. And listen , but appreciate the start. And your patch is awesome.The band just decided they want to play the song. Paul

papabuss

greekjgg

I'm really debating on this song. It almost seems as if learning it on Keyboard would be easier than than transcribing it on Guitar, especially for the solo part. I just don't see tracking getting fast enough for that. The reach as well. I have very basic keyboard skills but I've looked online and it seems "less effort" going into actually learning the keyboard part.

I have a M-Audio Radium 49 and I have an alesis IO Dock. I would just need to find a synth app that replicates the Jump sound.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Elantric

QuoteI'm really debating on this song. It almost seems as if learning it on Keyboard would be easier than than transcribing it on Guitar, especially for the solo part.

I find this song (particularly the keyboard solo) much easier to play on a small keyboard than using Guitar to MIDI.

Sometime finding the right tool for the job is more important than the Guitar to MIDI "Because we can" factor - and bulk of the audience couldn't care less anyway.

greekjgg

Quote from: Elantric on March 27, 2013, 09:25:58 AM
I find this song (particularly the keyboard solo) much easier to play on a small keyboard than using Guitar to MIDI.

Sometime finding the right tool for the job is more important than the Guitar to MIDI "Because we can" factor - and bulk of the audience couldn't care less anyway.

Yes, that is my thought exactly! It is VERY COOL, to switch to the GR55 setting and play the intro just to "show it off", but realistically it seems less "energy" to learn it on keyboard. I think from a live standpoint having a "keyboard" there shows another element, although if you could pull off the "solo" with the GR55 and it sounds like the solo I think that "takes it to another level". I've seen people just play the solo on guitar with a "traditional" guitar sound and it is talented don't get me wrong, but leaves a little less from "recreating" the original. I play "livin on a prayer" with a "synth" setting on hold in the beginning of the song along with the Talkbox I use. I kinda do the intro the same way Bon Jovi has done it live for years with a little synth compliment by a "Richie" little Run on the Talkbox and since I started doing it with the band last summer it is a crowd favorite for "Johnny to get on the talkbox"....the whole crowd just stops and "LOOKS" so cool to pull off.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

papabuss

Just play it with the instrument you like best... :)