Naming Patches

Started by randulo, June 23, 2016, 05:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randulo

Tell me I'm not the only person whose patches are named by the closest letters already there? All devices are pretty laborious to name patches, except over the computer, of course.
Hopeful GR-55 convert from GR-1
Twitter @randulo
Medium @randulo

admin

Since you use a GR-55, Know that Most here no longer spin data wheels like a Dymo labeler when naming or editing patches

We use Gumtowns GR-55 Floorboard Editor instead
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2951.0

Cups

randulo

Yeah, I guessed that, but unfortunately, that app doesn't work on my Mac. It starts up but doesn't show the full display. OS X 10.11.5  (El Capitan) with Roland's latest USB driver. I'm sure we've all experienced years of naming before computers were even ubiquitous :-)
Twitter @randulo
Medium @randulo

Elantric

QuoteYeah, I guessed that, but unfortunately, that app doesn't work on my Mac. It starts up but doesn't show the full display. OS X 10.11.5  (El Capitan) with Roland's latest USB driver.

Best to Report this to Gumtown here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2951.0

chrish

For the sy300 and i assume other tone studio supported boss products,patch names can be typed in on the computer. Otherwise yes, sometimes i'll just change the first letter of the existing name to x.

randulo

Thanks to Elantric, I got the software working and I'm 100x faster already! No more Dymo labeler. (Though I did obliterate a few patches by accident, during the learning process.) I wish there was a button combo on the GR-55 that would backup to USB. I'd hit it after every hand made patch adjustment.
Twitter @randulo
Medium @randulo

concordal

Quote from: randulo on June 24, 2016, 06:29:09 AM
I wish there was a button combo on the GR-55 that would backup to USB. I'd hit it after every hand made patch adjustment.

randulo, There is such a button.  Well, sort of:

You're already using Flloorboard, so just hit    File -> Save as G5L patch     and save the patch to your computer. 

I save mine with sequential numbers, like SongName1, SongName2, etc.  That way you have a running record of all your patch mods as you develop them.  If you do this, it then becomes easy to load an earlier version of a patch to recapture something you want, but since changed.  And with Floorboard you can store this earlier version in one of the Patch Clipboards and then load selected parts of it to the more recent patch.

Hope that makes sense . . . It's harder to explain then it is to do!

randulo

Quote from: concordal on June 24, 2016, 08:06:34 PM
There is such a button.  Well, sort of:

Yes, good point, thanks! I expected there would be, but right now I still do a lot manually, here's why:
I need to adapt the patches to the setup at rehearsal so it means I need to be really good at messing with all of this without a computer.

Floorboard is a great thing, I'm pleased to have it and of course to have donated.
Twitter @randulo
Medium @randulo