Acer Hopes Music Making Will Propel Touch Tablets, Ultrabooks.

Started by Elantric, June 26, 2013, 12:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/06/acer-hopes-music-making-will-propel-touch-tablets-ultrabooks-report-from-taipei/

Jun 26 2013
Acer Hopes Music Making Will Propel Touch Tablets, Ultrabooks; Report from Taipei

by Peter Kirn
It's already just started happening: you buy a laptop (or "ultrabook," if you like), and you get touch. Now it'll be up to developers whether that's useful. Acer S7, earlier this month.

It's already just started happening: you buy a laptop (or "ultrabook," if you like), and you get touch. Now it'll be up to developers whether that's useful. Acer S7, earlier this month.

Earlier this month, I had the pleasure of traveling to Taipei, Taiwan for Computex, where Acer was promoting its latest touch hardware. Normally, I'd ask whether there was reason for musicians and DJs to care. But this time, the computer maker is hoping the passion around music will be a factor that woos users to their newest machine.

Let's get one thing straight: the PC market itself isn't going anywhere. In the final quarter of last year, PC makers shipped hundreds of millions of units. (That includes Apple – and it's another reason Apple may not want to get out of the conventional PC market.) There are now more than a billion PC users worldwide. This isn't just some people in coffee shops in San Francisco and New York; it's a huge chunk of the population of Earth using this stuff.

Taipei is a spectacular place, culturally and technologically, and not just because I have a soft spot for dumplings. (Actually, I'm really glad I don't live there, or I might eventually be indistinguishable from a dumpling.)

Taipei is a spectacular place, culturally and technologically, and not just because I have a soft spot for dumplings. (Actually, I'm really glad I don't live there, or I might eventually be indistinguishable from a dumpling.)

The PC market isn't going away, but you can expect the relative power of different players to shift. We are starting to see big changes, led by volatile new markets (growing phone and tablet sales), economic pressure, and changing tastes. Some players are up – Apple grew by a bit, for instance, and Lenovo by a lot. Others are hurting; in 2012, Taiwan-based Acer Group themselves saw a lot of negative growth. That includes big drops in the US at the expense of HP and Lenovo, in particular. These things come in cycles; the question isn't who's up or down right now as where they're headed.

Acer seemed cogniscent of the challenges. CEO JT Wang went as far to admit that the reason some of those billion PC users aren't buying new machines is that users "are becoming smarter" – and more demanding.

The message behind the Taipei press conference and the Acer lineup for 2013 generally is that touch is instrumental to broadening the appeal of their range. It's hard to overstate this, particularly in contrast to Apple's separation of computers without touch from iPad and iPhone. Acer featured touch on most of their ultrabook and notebook ranges. In fact, only a couple of the models they showed came in non-touch versions.

Very often, these are ten-point, high-definition, low-latency touch sensors, too. I didn't get to test the Acer machines yet properly, but hope I will. Generally, though, the quality and responsiveness of what's available in the Windows market has advanced immensely, from the downright-lousy offerings of a few years ago to touch displays that now rival or best what you can get from something like an iPad.

A few models stood out.
http://createdigitalmusic.com/files/2013/06/acer_tiesto_promo-640x480.jpg
There's a subtle message here; see if you can spot it. I'm going with "change the passwords on the dinosaur embryo protection facility."

R7: Big Touch Laptop, Crazy Hinge

The Aspire R7, unveiled in New York in June, is definitely an oddity. Weighing 2.4-2.5 kg (over five pounds) and with only a 4.5-hour battery life, it's portable but hardly a competitor for an ultrabook. What you get in exchange is a massive 15.6? touch display running at 1920×1080, plus decent i5/i7 CPUs and GT 720M 2GB NVIDIA graphics. The display itself is on a special hinge Acer calls the "Ezel," which allows you to shift the display toward your face, rotate it around so someone else can see, or make a really, really big 15.6?-sized tablet.

Oh, yeah, and to allow you to put that touch display closer to your face, they put the trackpad above the keyboard. They also have some ads that seem to make it seem like using the R7 is like jumping off a volcano or crashing the Starship Enterprise.
http://createdigitalmusic.com/files/2013/06/acer_r7_screen-640x480.jpg
The R7 has a really big display. Seeing this instead of a little 10" tablet (cough) is a massive difference. If some developers took advantage of that, it could be a joy to touch - imagine an oversized tablet with laptop-class performance.
http://createdigitalmusic.com/files/2013/06/acer_r7_ezel-640x480.jpg
The R7 has a really big display. Seeing this instead of a little 10? tablet (cough) is a massive difference. If some developers took advantage of that, it could be a joy to touch – imagine an oversized tablet with laptop-class performance.
As a convertible, though, the R7 is ... a bit peculiar. What that hinge does for, you, though, is create a touch surface you can actually suspend above the base and still touch comfortably, which could offer more live performance scenarios.

As a convertible, though, the R7 is ... a bit peculiar. What that hinge does for, you, though, is create a touch surface you can actually suspend above the base and still touch comfortably, which could offer more live performance scenarios.
A Russian blogger at the press event set the R7 next to his 13" MacBook for comparison.
http://createdigitalmusic.com/files/2013/06/acer_versus_apple-640x480.jpg
A Russian blogger at the press event set the R7 next to his 13? MacBook for comparison.

It's worth reading The Verge's review, as they do a great job of going over the tradeoffs. You can also watch the slightly surreal launch video.

But everything about the R7 that might make it less popular for mainstream users seems more useful to creatives and live music performance. One of the major complaints about touch onstage is that it just isn't big enough. Here's a large display you can shift into all kinds of positions or use as a conventional tablet, with extremely precise touch support and beefy innards. (And on the visual side, you get a decent GPU and stylus support.)

Imagine if you could switch from Ableton Live to a Windows-based touch controller on the same machine, carrying only one computer to a gig and getting rid of the normal annoyances of wifi connections and the like. The R7 does things other touch machines don't. Its flexible hinge makes it touchable in various configurations – as a tablet, but also elevated to bring it closer to you. And its larger size gives you more real estate to touch, without having to carry around an enormous desktop display.

Better Ultrabooks, No Ultrabook Convertible

No yoga master: the Acer S7 has a unique hinge, but because the display can't lie flat, fully extending it isn't so useful for touch.

No yoga master: the Acer S7 has a unique hinge, but because the display can't lie flat, fully extending it isn't so useful for touch.

Otherwise, the S7 is a really pretty machine. As an ultrabook, it's well worth considering against similar PCs (and MacBook Air). If it could just get a little flatter or fold into a tablet...

Otherwise, the S7 is a really pretty machine. As an ultrabook, it's well worth considering against similar PCs (and MacBook Air). If it could just get a little flatter or fold into a tablet...

If the R7 is too radical, the Aspire S7 is a more conventional laptop. If you ever wish you had a slim laptop with a touchable screen, this is just that. It has a Gorilla Glass display and nice aluminum case, and reasonably-powerful innards with insanely-long battery life. (With new Intel tech inside, the S7 – like the new MacBook Air – extends that battery life over previous models.)

I have to say, of all the machines from different makers I saw at Computex, I think I probably like the S7 the best. It definitely feels Mac-like, but still distinctive. It also feels really nicely made, and now runs quieter and has greater keyboard travel than the previous generation. Its display resolution goes all the way to 2560 x 1440 on a 13? screen – impressive.

Interestingly, the "budget" sibling S3 comes with a better GPU option – a 1GB NVIDIA GT 735M. There's also the more affordable V Series, which also offers touch and GPUs.

The real problem here is, if you want to take advantage of that touchscreen, it's tough to get your arms into a comfortable position. While makers like Lenovo and Asus make convertibles that fold into tablet form factors, and while Acer does this with the R7, the S7 can't quite get its touchable display flat. It does feature a "dual-torque" hinge that lets you extend the display to almost 180 degrees, so you could conceivably do that and turn it upside down, but since it isn't quite flat it will rock a bit as you touch it. (I tried it on the demo units.)

It seems Acer could use a convertible portable laptop like Lenovo's Yoga – and then you'd have, again, a versatile Windows laptop that you could fold into a tablet form factor for better touch experiences creating, improvising, DJing, or performing.

I'll say this, too: it's really too bad the PCs don't yet have Thunderbolt.

DJ Tie-ins, Serious Real-Windows Tablet

I know a lot of CDM readers have been unimpressed by the iPad, dreaming instead of a tablet that ran real Windows software. Microsoft's own Surface Pro embodies that idea. The Aspire P3 bests Microsoft's offering almost spec by spec. It's noticeably lighter, has a 1920×1080 display to the lower-res screen on the Surface, and has more standard high-end specs. I didn't get a lot of hands-on time with the P3, but my first impression was that I liked the screen and handling the hardware better than I did the Surface Pro.

The P3 actually has a cover that it pops in and out of, though it's still reasonably light and thin with the cover attached. You get a much more usable keyboard than you do on the ultra-slim Microsoft Surface Pro keyboard. Photo courtesy Acer.

The P3 actually has a cover that it pops in and out of, though it's still reasonably light and thin with the cover attached. You get a much more usable keyboard than you do on the ultra-slim Microsoft Surface Pro keyboard. Photo courtesy Acer.

The sub-$1000 P3 is also the subject of the Acer DJ tie-in with Tiësto.

And here's where things get a bit strange.

The Tiësto Seal of Approval

Alongside the P3, Acer launched a promotional campaign with DJ Tiësto – still by nearly any measure the richest DJ in the world. (Inking these sorts of deals is likely to keep it that way. He is lucky, though, that Daft Punk split their cash between two people.)

As far as attracting Tiësto fans, I can't really fault the ad. (Those devoted fans give Acer nods in comments, and even go to the trouble of working out the set list in the music bed.)

But it's hard to escape the feeling that Acer doesn't quite understand the significance of computers in music.

In Acer's world, real DJs don't use computers – they use Pioneer CDJs. (Note, you never see Tiësto touch the Acer. His usual Pioneer rig is there, instead – and in a party held by Acer for guests in Taipei during Computex, that's exactly what he did, jam on his CDJs and DJM.)

Women are either models or nagging bosses. (Heidi Klum as the model?)

And the people who actually do use computers to make music are nerds. ("Vernon" definitely looks like a slimmer Wayne Knight. Keep an eye on Vernon, actually; he may be trying to steal dinosaur embryos.)

Also, your production manager / tour manager wishes he was the one DJing. (Wait – okay, that part sounds pretty realistic.)

Now, in fairness, many, many gigging DJs these days are split between Pioneer CDJs and computer rigs running Traktor, Serato, and the like. At Tiësto's level, they're pretty heavily biased toward CDJ, with some exceptions – Deadmau5, Guetta, and Skrillex, among others, I think are all using laptops. But it does seem an odd choice to seek out the CDJ user when you're a computer company.

I did hear from Acer reps that they had been told by Tiësto that he's using his Acers. He might be using them with the CDJs via Rekordbox software, in which case you wouldn't see them onstage. But, then, I think an Acer laptop could be perfectly at home onstage.
The laptop-free Tiësto party held by Acer in Taipei.

The laptop-free Tiësto party held by Acer in Taipei.

Compare, for example, how Apple shows their products. Here, in place of "work" and "play," mobile and desktop Apple machines are simply part of life – including a DJ running a MacBook with a Traktor rig, in front of a crowd. (No celebrity endorsement is necessary: it's clear this is just how people play music.)

For a non-Apple example, we recently saw an Acer laptop (yes, Acer) with Four Tet. He was running Ableton Live on a nice-looking Acer laptop. That was not any kind of paid endorsement; I think that's just his computer. And quite frankly, these machines can often offer more bang for your buck than the ones from that other company whose name begins with the letter 'A,' depending on your needs and preferences.

Just as musicians and DJs really do use computers and not just CDJs, they use Windows and Acer and not just OS X and Apple.

That said, the actual software you see in the Acer ads is pretty darned good: and it could be the tip of the iceberg if music devs start to embrace touch on Windows.

Bite of the Apple: Touch DJing on Windows

Virtual DJ works really well with touch, thanks to some redesigned controls. And unlike a tablet, you can then use any hardware you like, and run any Windows software you want.

Virtual DJ works really well with touch, thanks to some redesigned controls. And unlike a tablet, you can then use any hardware you like, and run any Windows software you want.

Acer's bundled VirtualDJ edition – which they say is worth US$79 – is actually no slouch. It's a sign that you really can transform desktop Windows software into touch-friendly versions. (Cakewalk's SONAR and FL Studio, along with, in particular, Sensomusic Usine, have also added touch features.)

Evidently a custom, touch-ready version of VirtualDJ LE, the OEM release, the Acer-exclusive software was pretty easy to navigate with fingers, including touch-style knobs for EQ, filters, and effects as you'd see in software like TouchOSC or Lemur on iPad. The big faux record decks I could do without, but otherwise this is the quite-nice, very possibly underrated VirtualDJ software package you see on Windows and OS X.

And you get exclusive Tiësto content. Okay.

No matter. I think the point is, all Windows apps should have the ability to do this. One of the big deficiencies in going from Traktor on the iPad to Traktor on a desktop right now, for instance, is that you lose all the benefits of being able to touch and drag the waveform to cue, slice, and remix sounds. These kinds of gaps seem like they'll become even more apparent. The first music developers to get this right will have a big edge, because a lot of PC users who don't own iPads or want to make music on their main computer will soon have machines capable of touch. They'll gravitate toward the software that's ready for them.

So, even amidst this odd Tiësto campaign, I'm glad to see Acer doing this. And because you do need to support touch explicitly, this is a natural OEM opportunity for music developers. Just bundling a DJ app with a PC may or may not make sense. But if you have the DJ app that works well with its touch features, then there's a real case to be made.

Turntables, also touchable and a very big deal. The DJ at the Acer press conference used both the P3 and a turntable running control vinyl to control Serato running on a more conventional Acer laptop.

Turntables, also touchable and a very big deal. The DJ at the Acer press conference used both the P3 and a turntable running control vinyl to control Serato running on a more conventional Acer laptop.

Tune in next time...

...for a look at how touch and music making could converge on Windows, plus a survey of some of the convertible machines out there. (Hint: they're ... kinda crazy.)

Previously:

Elantric

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/09/03/fl-studio-groove-demo/
Image Line Intros FL Studio Groove For Windows 8
Posted on September 3, 2013 by synthhead

Image Line has released FL Studio Groove for Windows 8, a new sequencing app optimized for touch-based music making.

Here's the official video intro:

Features:

Synthesis: FL Studio Groove includes 5 polyphonic synthesizer channels that include the ability to create a wide range of synths sounds, from bass to pads and leads. The synthesis engine features a 2 oscillator, wave-shape driven design, filter, 3 envelopes and LFO architecture.
    Keyboard: Take control over the synthesizers with FL Studio Groove's two-tier keyboard.
    Percussion: FL Studio Groove offers a 10-pad velocity-through-position enabled sample engine. You can even layer to two samples per-pad for complex sample mash-ups. A comprehensive library of percussion samples is included from Kicks, snares, toms, cymbals and more.
    Effects: FL Studio Groove includes a wide array of effects, including a Bit Crusher (for lo-fi gritty sounds), Flanger & Phaser (to create complex stereo washes and spacey effects), Filters (low, high pass & vowel-voice simulation), Delay (echoes), Reverb (to simulate the sound of large halls through to tight spaces), Panning (so you can spread your sounds across your speakers) and Ring modulation (creating screaming-feedback type sounds).
    Sequencing: A Piano-roll allows note entry and step-entry for percussion. You can also record and edit the movement of almost any knob or control with the Automation editor.

Here's the FL Studio Groove 'getting started' video:

FL Studio Groove is available with an introductory price of $4.99.

If you've used FL Studio Groove, let us know what you think of it!

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/fl-studio-groove/45739f6c-beaf-4215-bf87-b64b6f8ad871

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/09/03/fl-studio-groove-demo/

GraemeJ

For the actual making of music, I moved away from computers some time ago, electing instead to use a dedicated recorder (in my case a Korg D3200).  This has proved much more reliable than a PC, upon which I spent more time sorting out silly little glitches than I did using it for something more productive. I still use a computer for tidying things up or restoration work, but never for the actual recording.  Near enough all of my work is (I should say was, since I have now retired) location and there are few opportunities for a retake.  PC's proved far too unreliable for this application.

However, the introduction of affordable larger tablets has certainly changed things for me in one respect.  I no longer cart around a great weight of paper music.  These days, it's all on a 13", Android-based, tablet.  I carry around 2,500 charts in something that's about the same size as an A4 sheet of paper and a centimetre thick.  With this, I can find any piece of music much quicker than my fellow players who are still tied to their paper system. 

datsunrobbie

What 13" tablet are you using? How's it working out, in terms of performance and app compatibility?  I'd like to replace my Viewsonic G-Tab with something larger, preferably about the same size as American "letter" size, and have not had much luck finding anything I can actually lay hands on before buying.

Elantric

Not sure what model GraemeJ has, but This new 13" dual boot looks interesting.

www.androidcommunity.com/samsung-ativ-q-13-3-inch-dual-boot-tablet-hands-on-20130620/

QuoteThe folks from Samsung surprised the entire crowd up on stage in London for their Premiere event, and announced a brand new 13.3-inch 3200 × 1800 qHD+ resolution tablet that dual boots both Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and Windows 8. We immediately got excited and wanted to learn more, and now we have have on pictures and impressions below
____

GraemeJ

Quote from: Elantric on September 05, 2013, 07:55:29 AM
Not sure what model GraemeJ has, but This new 13" dual boot looks interesting.

It also looks to be none too cheap!!  "Samsung has started taking pre-order for Ativ Q Hybrid laptop in Germany at €1,599. The customers from UK can also do advance booking of device at £1,399 (around $2080).  - See more at: http://www.technovisitors.com/2013/06/complete-review-of-samsung-ativ-q-dual.html#sthash.WZynepl3.dpuf".  For a single use, such as mine is, this is way too much to spend on the hardware.

There ¡s not much of a choice for tablets this size and I had a good look at all of them first. Finally, I bought a Colorfly CT132Q -  I'm in no position to comment on app capability, etc., as it's really only the first tablet I have owned (I did buy a cheap 7" one a couple of years ago, but even with my lack of knowledge about these things, I could see it was a crock of crap, so it just sits in a cupboard). I purchased mine direct from China, but via Amazon in the UK.  They are also available through Amazon in the USA http://www.amazon.com/Colorfly-CT132Q-Tiny-Capacity-Quad-Core-Capacitive/dp/B00CHZUVVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378415741&sr=8-1&keywords=COLORFLY+CT132

So, far, everything I have tried on the Colorfly has worked perfectly, but I really bought it for the one purpose of storing and displaying my music files - and that it does very well indeed.  For those interested, I'm using MobileSheets (http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/) and I can wholeheartedly recommend it as something that works and doesn't cost the small fortune of other, similar, applications.

Apart from the tablet and the software, the only other thing I invested in was a three pedal USB switch - about 20 euro through eBay - this allows me to turn pages, forward and back, hands-free.  I'm working on what to use the third pedal for :) .  A lot of players use a similar Bluetooth device, which does have the advantage of no wires, but at a much greater cost.  To me, a metre of wire running up the music stand is no big deal - I'm hardly likely to trip over it - and it represents a good cost-saver.

The hardest part of the whole exercise was scanning in all the stuff I had on paper.  It was not easy and incredibly boring, just like when I moved my 800+ CDs to a media centre.  However, when I did the CD job, I had broken a finger, my hand was in plaster for six weeks and there was nothing else I could do!

montyrivers

I'm hard pressed to find a windows based tablet that I can consider a fitting stand in for a fully loaded desktop or even laptop.  Nevermind the fact that the top of range DAW companies aren't optimizing for touchscreens but the lack of i/o options on a tiny tablet is what gets me.  It's hard to get quality, low latency A/D + MIDI I/O through two usb ports.  Now if hardware developers would stop dragging their feet with USB 3 drivers, that would be a different story.  These computers look pretty cool, otherwise.  I hope they give the Macbook Pro a run for its money.

Elantric

I'm exploring Touch Screens for live use at gigs

I will test several options

* Run Audio apps on a recent MS Windows Touch OS

* Run Audio Apps on Mac OSX, but remote controlled by a Windows Touch interface, using a Remote desktop, VNC connection

Win 10 is way too premature for real Audio work - since zero Win 10 WHQL USB drivers exist for the gear i intend to use
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553976%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

QuoteThe GeChic On-Lap 1502i is the Touchscreen monitor I selected. It's a full 1980 x 1080 IPS projected capacitive touch screen unit, usb powered, vesa mountable, and weighing just 3 lbs. It wasn't exactly cheap at $399
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GeChic-ON-LAP-1502i-15-6-IPS-LCD-16-9-1920-x-1080-Touch-Screen-Monitor-/271649024624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3f3f8b2a70

I located a used Acer R7 ( i5 CPU for $420 on Ebay
http://createdigitalmusic.com/files/2013/06/acer_r7_ezel-640x480.jpg
I'm upgrading the Acer R7 with:
* $49 8GB SODRAM stick for 12 GB Ram total
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG8X9Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

* $25  INTEL-7260-AC-DUAL-BAND-WIRELESS-AC-MINI-CARD-7260HMW-AC-WIFI-BT-4-0-COMBO - solves the poor WiFi connection, allows Intel  and improves BlueTooth 4.0 LE Performance
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/wireless-n-7260-bluetooth-brief.pdf

Plan on installing above upgrades, upgrade the OS to Win8.1, install SensoMusic Hollyhock and ASIO USB drivers for my audio interfaces - plan on my own "Windows Audio Interface latency Shootout" as I test my MOTU 828MKII, Focusrite 2i4, 18i20, Boss GT-100, GP-10

Then upgrade the boot drive to SSD

M-SATA Drive Upgrade

* Samsung 840 SSD

At work we use Dell Inspiron One 2330 23" Touchscreen All -in-One "PC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiron-One-2330-AiO-Core-i5-2-7GHz-8GB-1TB-23-Touch-IO2330-5911BK-/111454948891?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f33b8e1b

I located a gently used Acer R7 on Ebay for $425, with specific goal of using it for Live Touch Control of my Roland/Boss/Line 6 gear

The Acer R7 has the right mix of features for my needs

around $400 today

15"  Multitouch Display @ 1920 x 1080  - gives the right trade-off of High Def Screen real estate, and accessible Touch targets on the MultiTouch Display

Intel i5

24GB SSD+500GB HDD

6 GB RAM - Expandable to 12GB

Two USB 3.0 ports.

One USB 2.0 Port (expandable to Two USB 2.0 ports)

Acer Converter Cable (Mini CP to VGA/LAN/USB)
http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/pd/ThemeID.35703000/productID.286529400

Drivers are here
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/4757;-;Aspire%20R7-571

and an available service manual here
http://www.s-manuals.com/pdf/motherboard/compal/compal_la-a021p_r1.0_schematics.pdf
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Acer_Aspire_R7

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-R7-572-SSD-or-mSata/m-p/173215#M31793
http://youtu.be/N7Qhqidn5aI?list=PLYydh_z6mm-dRP5wmARZfV4CqwpYbl6Cv

I was going to wait until Windows 10 is released, and look at new Windows laptops / Notepads  then,  but I predict by Summer 2015 its going to be difficult to locate ANY new  Windows laptop / notepad that still includes a working  USB 2.0 port ( required for glitch free Audio performance), as the world migrates to USB 3.0.

And all the $79 Win8.1 Tablets (HP Stream, Toshiba Encore, etc,) are too severely underpowered ( Atom CPU, 1GB RAM, 32GB SSD. 1280x 800) , most could not display the VG-99 Editor
http://www.toshiba.com/us/tablets/encore/8/BWT8-A32

QuoteR7: Big Touch Laptop, Crazy Hinge

The Aspire R7, unveiled in New York in June, is definitely an oddity. Weighing 2.4-2.5 kg (over five pounds) and with only a 4.5-hour battery life, it's portable but hardly a competitor for an ultrabook. What you get in exchange is a massive 15.6? touch display running at 1920×1080, plus decent i5/i7 CPUs and GT 720M 2GB NVIDIA graphics. The display itself is on a special hinge Acer calls the "Ezel," which allows you to shift the display toward your face, rotate it around so someone else can see, or make a really, really big 15.6?-sized tablet.

Oh, yeah, and to allow you to put that touch display closer to your face, they put the trackpad above the keyboard. They also have some ads that seem to make it seem like using the R7 is like jumping off a volcano or crashing the Starship Enterprise.

The R7 has a really big display. Seeing this instead of a little 10? tablet (cough) is a massive difference. If some developers took advantage of that, it could be a joy to touch – imagine an oversized tablet with laptop-class performance.

A Russian blogger at the press event set the R7 next to his 13? MacBook for comparison.

It's worth reading The Verge's review, as they do a great job of going over the tradeoffs. You can also watch the slightly surreal launch video.

But everything about the R7 that might make it less popular for mainstream users seems more useful to creatives and live music performance. One of the major complaints about touch onstage is that it just isn't big enough. Here's a large display you can shift into all kinds of positions or use as a conventional tablet, with extremely precise touch support and beefy innards. (And on the visual side, you get a decent GPU and stylus support.)

Imagine if you could switch from Ableton Live to a Windows-based touch controller on the same machine, carrying only one computer to a gig and getting rid of the normal annoyances of wifi connections and the like. The R7 does things other touch machines don't. Its flexible hinge makes it touchable in various configurations – as a tablet, but also elevated to bring it closer to you. And its larger size gives you more real estate to touch, without having to carry around an enormous desktop display.

http://www.engadget.com/discuss/how-would-you-change-acers-aspire-r7-1t5q/

Google+ Community for Acer R7 users!
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/116561790695725052722

Elantric

I got my Acer R7 last night

So far I love the form factor

Ive upgraded the RAM and Wifi Card - and I have the Acer Ehternet / VGA/ USB2.0 adapter - trying to install updates and drivers

But this is my first Windows 8 machine  - and I still have not figured out how to turn it off, or enter the old "Device Manager"

Microsoft wonders why their profits tanked these past 5 years - I point its because they made the recent  "Windows 8 / 8.1  experience completely alien for Win7 users . 

Elantric

Had to revert back the stock Brodcom Wifi card  - to re-enable Enternet connection, so I can have access to the new MS Signed Drivers for my the optional Acer Connect" Wired Ethernet connection - which is new to this machine 

Computers are like building the perfect Deli sandwich - must build the upgrade in  the right order

Vade

There's a lot of goodness baked into right clicking the start button. Other than that, I use file explorer on the taskbar a lot and only use the start menu to direct my most used apps to be placed on the taskbar. I hated Windows 8 but with the improvements in 8.1 and a bit of familiarity I wouldn't go back to Windows 7. Try not to let it drive you crazy...

Edit: You can bypass sign in by creating a Local Account. You can opt to go directly to desktop via Taskbar right click, Properties, Navigation.

Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Elantric

My goal is

* Get the Acer Wired Ethernet adapter working
* Update drivers for the Intel Wifi-Card
* Apply the free MS Win8.1 update for Win 8 users

After I accomplish the above -then i can get to work installing Audio Drivers and Sensomusic Hollyhock II

But up until now  - I have only spent a few odd minutes at Best Buy / Costco  -

I find the typical features and the methods I use remain hidden.

If this was my only computer  - Id be lost at sea!

Elantric

* Get the Acer Wired Ethernet adapter working - DONE

* Apply the free MS Win8.1 update for Win 8 users - Downloading from Microsoft Store

Get Error  - error-code-0xc190010b

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/windows-81-error-code-0xc190010b/984cc428-db86-4910-be20-9a105c365095

Had configure Win 8 for a Clean Boot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Now re -attempting  the Win 8.1 update

Stuck with Get Error  - error-code-0xc190010b

Elantric

Been getting feet wet with Win8 -

Had to create and log in using my new  Microsoft User account -

I tested my user access by installing the Google search from the MS Store  - that worked.

Then I re-attempt the Win8.1 Update and finally its now working without the error Code  "0xc190010b"

already 75% done and a screen that states

INSTALLS

Windows 8.1

"Applying Changes" ,

"Gathering info" . . . . 

Done

Reboot to Acer BIOS Start screen

Windows Gathering Info screen

Windows Applying changes to PC screen

"Setting up a few more things"

"Welcome to Windows" (8.1)

Since this is going to be a live music performance control system  - I chose "Advanced Settings" and had to turn off lots of automatic data reporting functions. and auto updates.

now says "

Taking Care of a Few Things

"Dont turn off your PC

Lets Starts

Then it boots into a screen that resembles Win7 Desktop  - but has the new "window pane icon"  on lower left

Elantric

Win 8.1 is fully installed now on Acer R7  - Although Windows 8.1 incorrectly reports the

Acer Aspire R7-571 as Acer Aspire V5-571P - but finally reverted to showing Acer R7-571 ( the correct model) after applied Microsoft Win 8.1 updates, and   everything works much better now.

I doubt I could work on a stock Win 8 machine. Win 8.1 feels so much nicer and revert back to bulk of Win7 setup features. I never have to even see the Microsoft Metro "iPad wannabe" GUI" interface you see all the new Windows laptops running at BestBuy.  On my Win 8.1 install -with Classic Shell I feel right at home and productive.  Metro Is still inside there,  but disabled as no music/tech apps I use or know of relay or employ that "Walmart Photo frame  interface.   

For my purposes and expectations,  Win 8.1  is MUCH better than Windows 8  - finally have access to the typical looking Win7 style Control Panel and Device Manager, and boots straight to the Desktop.

Elantric

I'm making better progress now

Now Installing Classic Shell

www.ClassicShell.net

LibreOffice.org

and then Defrag the 500GB HDD

bbob

Quote from: Elantric on March 04, 2015, 08:21:46 AM
But this is my first Windows 8 machine  - and I still have not figured out how to turn it off, or enter the old "Device Manager"

It is easy to make one touch shutdown and re-start tiles:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-shutdown-and-reboot-tile-in-windows-8/

Without a Start button, properly shutting down Windows 8 can be a bit of a chore. If you want to shut down or reboot your Windows 8 PC by just clicking on a tile from the Start screen or a shortcut on the desktop, here's how:

Step 1: Right-click on a open area of your desktop, then go to New and select Shortcut.

Step 2: In the location box, type shutdown /p to shut down Windows 8 immediately or shutdown /r /t 0 to reboot Windows 8 immediately. Click Next to continue.

Step 3: Type a name for your shortcut, then click the Finish button.

Step 4: Right-click on the shortcut from your desktop and select Pin to Start.

Step 5: Go back to the Start screen and verify that your new shutdown tile appears.

Elantric

Thanks!

But Classic Shell gives me a Win 7 like experience - but i detect Win8.1 might run tasks a bit faster than win 7  - but might be due to the newer hardware inside the Acer R7 ( a 2 year old machine now )

www.ClassicShell.net

I have now downloaded the Intel 7260 AC Dual Wireless / Blluetooth driver for Win8.1

and downloaded current version of Sensomusic Hollyhock 

The Acer R7 with i5 Quad Core CPU , 12GB RAM, has a much nicer screen and so far actually seems to run most Windows operations faster than my 2011 Lenovo W520 (i7, 32GB RAM)  - with less fan noise!

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/acer-aspire-r7-with-haswell-and-active-digitizer-first-impressions-and-discussion.59650/

EDIT: this is used Acer R7, and I was trying to prune and clean the hard drive, updated the BIOS but then I lost all my Bluetoooth - and it took a few hours of trial and error  - ended up reinstalling the original Broadcom Wifi/Bluetooth card  - and will try to use it  - despite many reports on Acer forums that this card dropps wifi connections - so far so good, but very glad I have the Acer Connect Expander - that adds RJ-45 10/100 Ethernet, USB.20 port, and VGA Video out expansion.

Onboard ports on the Acer R7  are, Two USB 3.0 ports, One USB 2.0 Port, HDMI Video with Sound for TV/home stereo. 3.5mm TRRS Headset Audio jack SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC card slot.  - great backlit keyboard , and very accurate 15" 10 point Multitouch-screen LED backlit, very bright/legible reminds me of my older MacBook Pro     

Elantric

Initial tests for Touch Interface on Windows 8.1 with Acer R7 15" 1980 x 1020 resolution 10 point multi-touch display

Roland VG-99 Editor  - Only the largest target on any screen can be selected using the Touch Display - but Control knobs and switches do not respond to the Touchscreen. Must use Mousepad to select Knobs and switches.

Gumtown's Roland GR-55 Floorboard Editor - This works very well, I can perform most functions and work all knobs and controls just using the Touchscreen ! ( contrast with 2010 Dell Duo 13" Netbook with touchscreen  running Win7 - and nothing worked.

Boss Tone Studio - Runs very good - most controls are very reliable

Line-6 POD HD500X EDIT - Works very well - all controls, knobs, switches are accessible and repeatable targets 

Line-6 VARIAX WORKBENCH HD - Works very well - all controls, knobs, switches are accessible and repeatable targets 

Sensomusic Hollyhock - Works very well - all controls, knobs, switches are accessible and repeatable targets 

Elantric

I'm now really enjoying this Acer R7

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Aspire-A7-Hybrid-Star-Trek-Limited-Edition-Save-the-Children,22952.html

Within Win8.1 OS  I installed:

Sony Creative Apps :(Soundforge 10, Vegas Pro 12, DVD Architect, CD Architect)

ASIO4ALL - to be able to use the internal RealTek Audio HD as ASIO device. This Acer R7 laptop has stereo mics built in. 

Reaper 4.77 (64bit)
http://www.reaper.fm

Irfanview + plug ins

Amazon Music

iTunes

I have installed Boss Tone Studio - and Boss GP-10 ASIO USB Driver  - Connect Boss GP-10 to the USB 2.0 port and it runs excellent with zero pops / noises. ( very happy with the performance     

I also installed VMWare Player  - to run a virtual WinXP for my electronic design PCB Design Cad apps. ( Altium / Protel)

looking forward to trying

Teamviewer Touch for Win8.1
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/teamviewer-touch/417cca6d-744d-4770-b168-12171f73ed37
http://www.7tutorials.com/how-use-teamviewer-touch-app-windows-81

Goal is use Acer R7 laptop to remote control my MacMini running OSX 10.8.5

My Acer R7-571  is from 2013 and was $950 new, today used examples are available on Ebay around $400-$800
I paid $420 +$50 to bring the RAM from stock 6GB,  up to 12GB

The 2014 Acer R7-572G costs more as that includes a digitizing screen that works with Wacom pens ( like a Wacom Bamboo), and Nvidia Graphics .

I dont play online games  -so the Acer R7 571 with typical Intel HD4000 Graphics  was fine for my needs.

The 2015 model version is known  Acer R13 - but its a diifferent animal mechanically different than the older Acer R7 - my  R7 has a wonderful 1920x 1020 Touch display that is very bright and can be viewed from the side and not drop off off and go dim like many other Windows laptops do when watching movies. 
stay tuned

Elantric

I grabbed one of these SKB Cases last year when they were on sale  - and its proven very handy !

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=739&o=&offset=1&c=81&s=81

-  includes a handy sun shade

SKB iSeries 3I-18135SNSC Waterproof Laptop Case with Sun Screen B&H # SK3I18135SNS MFR # 3I-1813-5SNSC

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/902932-REG/skb_iseries_3i_18135snsc_waterproof_laptop.html

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=739&o=&offset=1&c=81&s=81

SKB has expanded their military-standard waterproof hard cases with custom interiors to accommodate the ever growing pro av market. The 3i-18135SNSC laptop case includes a sun screen that stores in the lid and up to a 17" laptop in the base. An accessory compartment is located under the laptop which is ideal for a power supply or an external hard drive. The suncreen includes a collapsible frame for secure storage. The bottom of the case features a built in 3/8" female thread which is reinforced by a heavy duty metal plate. Any light stand, tripod, or mic stand will work to support the case as long as it has or is adapted to a 3/8" male mount and can handle the weight of the laptop, case, and other accessories.

These custom waterproof camera and video cases are backed by SKB's unsurpassed no-fault Lifetime Warranty.

About our iSeries

SKB's iSeries injection molded waterproof cases are constructed of ultra high-strength polypropylene copolymer resin and feature a gasketed, waterproof and airtight, submersible design (IP67) that is resistant to corrosion and impact damage. Its continuous molded-in hinge, patented "trigger release" latch system, comfortable, snap-down rubber over-molded cushion grip handle, secure stacking, and automatic ambient pressure equalization valve (MIL-STD-648C) all contribute to its military grade design.

Features
Ultra high-strength polypropylene copolymer resin
UV, solvent, corrosion and fungus resistant (MIL-STD-810F)
Complete gasket seal makes these cases absolutely watertight (MIL-STD-C-4150J)
Automatic ambient pressure equalization value (MIL-STD-648C & IP67)
Resistant to corrosion and impact damage
Molded-in hinge
Patented "trigger release" latch system
Rubber over-molded cushion grip handle
Custom cut for 17" laptop with sunscreen.

Specifications
Carton Length   
20.00 in
50.80 cm
Carton Width   
16.00 in
40.64 cm
Carton Depth   
7.00 in
17.78 cm
Shipping Weight   
8.50 lb
3.86 kg
Product Weight   
7.60 lb
3.45 kg

Ive trimmed the internal foam padding and Under the Acer R7, during transport I can fit GP-10+EV-5 + Battery power pack !! -  in a handy all in one weatherproof case than looks like brief case

atomheart411

That is one sweet set up. Have you gigged with it yet? I'm shopping laptops at the moment and was going towards a used MacBook Pro but you've really got me thinking about touch as the way to go. Again thinking about live use primarily. The form of the R7 is cool and potentially very practical. Does the screen stay put as you use it? Does Reaper respond to touch? I'm using Ableton but I'm curious if any DAW would respond.

Elantric

So far i'm enjoying the Acer R7 for Touch - best Win8.1 Touch experience I have ever used - all control elements of Boss Tone Studio and Gumtown's GR-55 Floorboard are repeatable target for the Acer R7 15" 10-point multi-touch display.

SensoMusic Hollyhock works very well too

Too early to report on Touch response for Reaper, Ableton Live, Sony Soundforge 10  - should have more info later this week.

Note that a GP-10 connected to an External Amplifier will make hiss and noise when the USB connection is made to the Acer R7  - but only when the Acer R7 is running on AC Power.

So I charge the Acer R7 Battery before the gig, remove the Acer's AC Power Brick  - and the noise goes away. ( Typical Windows Laptop Issue)

Acer R7 runs around 6 hours on its internal battery