Cycfi Six Pack Project - Hexaphonic Pickup Project

Started by Elantric, May 24, 2013, 04:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanceg

From what I have heard, I think they'd be fantastic.  Super clean and wouldn't impart a particular tone to the instrument.  I don't see any reason they wouldn't be great.

Quote from: Majiken on July 23, 2016, 01:32:07 AM
Vance, how do you think these would work as straight pickups for acoustic guitars? I have a wooden dobro that for some reason is balky with the standard solutions.

GuitarBuilder

Elantric - could we make this a child board?  It seems worthy.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

vanceg

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 14, 2016, 09:32:21 AM
Elantric - could we make this a child board?  It seems worthy.

I'd be down with that.

alexmcginness

Quote from: mapperboy on June 26, 2013, 04:09:27 PM
elantric,
Re your reponse to djowel regarding the criticality of the proximity to bridge and string to GK-3 gaps...do you think it may be possible to attach some kind of pole piece extensions to the individual poles?
I ask this because I've been forever seeking a way to match/modify the built-in curvature (and it's limited 'adjustment') of a GK-3 to any of my guitars. With judicious cutting and fitting of many types of spacers as well as crafting a custom spring-loaded height adjustment system I always end up with either good #1 string gap, acceptable #3,4 gaps and too much gap on #6 or the reverse.
The Roland pickup shell curve has just too much radius!
If the #1, #2 and #5 and #6 poles themselves could be slightly extended by a couple of mm then I think the rather flat curve of my guitars (Ibanez ARZ and Rickenbacker 360) could be made to match the GK-3 and brought up to optimum install specs.
I'm thinking last ditch at this point...have you ever rehoused the entire little pcb with the pole pieces in a new custom shell?
Cheers in advance...
-mike   

I find A) that a GK-3 string spacing is best suited for a vintage Strat bridge.

B) the way to get the most consistent gap between the strings and the GK pole pieces is to first set up the action on the Strat consistently using on of these.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Nuts_and_Saddles/Nut_Slotting_Gauge.html

Its supposed to be for accurately cutting a nut but you can also use it for uniformly setting the action of each string. So once the action is set, mount the pickup so that the 1st and 6th string and the middle G ( using the radius screw on the GK ) are 1mm from the GK. The you can adjust the height of the remaining strings by tweaking the bridge saddles ( you shouldnt have to change the height all that much ) to give you the proper gap for the remaining three strings...and Bobs your Uncle!
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

rowka

I've got a couple of GK-KIT-BG3 kits coming for two custom 5-string builds I'm planning. The idea was for one to be a GK only bass ant the other to have a passive mag pup in addition to the GK for use with a GR-55/VB-99 setup.

It's sounding like these Cycfi pups might be worth looking into.
Would they need to be mounted very close to the bridge like the GK pup?
Would these also be able to act as the "normal" mag pup on a bass?  Although so close to the bridge I imagine the output to be quite low, and the tone to be thin and not very bass-like.

Is there documented info yet on incorporating them into the rest of the GK-KIT internals?

vanceg

Quote from: rowka on August 16, 2016, 06:05:12 AM
I've got a couple of GK-KIT-BG3 kits coming for two custom 5-string builds I'm planning. The idea was for one to be a GK only bass ant the other to have a passive mag pup in addition to the GK for use with a GR-55/VB-99 setup.

It's sounding like these Cycfi pups might be worth looking into.
Would they need to be mounted very close to the bridge like the GK pup?
Would these also be able to act as the "normal" mag pup on a bass?  Although so close to the bridge I imagine the output to be quite low, and the tone to be thin and not very bass-like.

Is there documented info yet on incorporating them into the rest of the GK-KIT internals?

The NU's do not have to be mounted near the bridge. Indeed, the tone is a little "thin" down there by the bridge.  However, with a full range pickup like the NU, you'd be surprised how much nice signal is there.  I totally agree, though - Unless you are doing some Virtual Pickup Placement signal processing, you might want to mount pickups future up the string.

It is entirely possible to use the NU as a standard magnetic pickup.  You can easily mix the signal from each string to a Mono signal and it sounds great.
I think the easiest way to do this would be to route the NU's to a breakout box and you could have individual string outs, and a Mix out.  CycFi is coming out with a box that does just this (and more). This way, you could use it as an individual string pickup when you want, and as a standard mono output pickup when you want.

One thing you could do is mount a NU system at the bridge and wire it for 13 pin output.  Then put two NUs in the Middle and Neck position (or any position you want) and wire them for Mono output with standard pickup switching as you'd like, and then run that mono signal to a standard 1/4" jack and to the 1/4" input on a 13pin cable. 
Or, you could use the XR Dual Active pickups for your "standard magnetic pickups". These are Mono output but also feature the full range sound and CycFi has some VERY nice tone and filtering controls as well as a really nice switching system for that.

There is no official kit from CycFi yet to route the NU signal out a 13 pin.  But I tell ya, it was REALLY simple to get the basics going for me:  I got the Nu Basic set, attached to their internal breakout board, then I got a standard 13pin jack and wired from the pins of the 13pin to the breakout board (one wire for each string signal, one wire for ground, one wire for power from the 13 pin).  Plugged it in, suddenly I had a much better sounding 13 pin rig than I'd ever had before.   Wiring up the "S1/S2" buttons and the "Synth,Both, Guitar" are fairly simple too...but I haven't done that on this instrument yet.  This is the easiest way to get the NU to work with 13 pin. 
I plan to use the CycFi breakout box (Called Nexus) when it comes out... simply because I want to have both 13 pin and individual string outputs, I can avoid having a 13 pin connector on my guitar (instead it uses a locking Lemo connnector), and it also has provision for converting some knob and switch information to MIDI, which I want to do on my next instrument.  So there is a simple way to get up and running with just 13 pin, and ways to expand from there.
Obviously I'm a fan. 

I should say out loud again here since I've been talking about these pickups so favorably on the forum:  I'm not paid or otherwise compensated by Cycfi but I do have a relationship with them in which I'm providing some of my opinion and insight into what I believe the players and builders who are interested in using single string pickups need.

rowka

You're making it sound like I don't need the GK-KIT-BG3 to make it work with the 13-pin system.

The Basic set comes with a mounting plate that I assume is sized for guitar spacing. Since these are going to be 5-string basses, I'd probably be better off with the individual modules.

I have no interest in a breakout box.  These will be Roland gear specific instruments and I'd like to approach the first build as mag-free.  Since there's no mag, the switch could be hard wired to the Synth position, but I will want the GK volume and S1/S2 switches on the bass.

Looks like the the resistance of the Nu is quite a bit higher than the Roland modules. Does that present any additional challenges?

I'll say that my mechanical abilities to fit the components and do the soldering are up to the task, but the electronics portion (figuring out if I need to add resistors, diodes, what nots) is completely foreign to me. 

Also, while the Lemo connector do look like a great option, I would like to avoid having cables with mismatched ends, unless someone has figured out how to also change the connectors on the US-20 and possibly the GR55 and VB/VG-99 as well.

gumbo

Quote from: rowka on August 17, 2016, 04:47:26 AM
You're making it sound like I don't need the GK-KIT-BG3 to make it work with the 13-pin system.

I'll say that my mechanical abilities to fit the components and do the soldering are up to the task, but the electronics portion (figuring out if I need to add resistors, diodes, what nots) is completely foreign to me. 

Also, while the Lemo connector do look like a great option, I would like to avoid having cables with mismatched ends, unless someone has figured out how to also change the connectors on the US-20 and possibly the GR55 and VB/VG-99 as well.

FWIW, the Synth-Linx Jack (with or without the attached 'extended' cable) can be integrated without much fuss and takes up less internal real estate than the Roland jack that comes with the GK-KIT-BG3.  Could be another reason to NOT need the kit in the first place.. ;)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8888.0

I also make custom versions these days that include pre-fitted multiplugs to the 'other' end of the attached cables ...making the installation a solder-less operation for retro-fitting to existing GK guitars and GR-55 & GP-10 Synths.

By all means PM me if you would like more information.

Cheers,
Peter
Synth-Linx in Oz
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

dr_macd

Quote from: vanceg on August 17, 2016, 12:51:12 AM
The NU's do not have to be mounted near the bridge. Indeed, the tone is a little "thin" down there by the bridge.  However, with a full range pickup like the NU, you'd be surprised how much nice signal is there.  I totally agree, though - Unless you are doing some Virtual Pickup Placement signal processing, you might want to mount pickups future up the string.

It is entirely possible to use the NU as a standard magnetic pickup.  You can easily mix the signal from each string to a Mono signal and it sounds great.
I think the easiest way to do this would be to route the NU's to a breakout box and you could have individual string outs, and a Mix out.  CycFi is coming out with a box that does just this (and more). This way, you could use it as an individual string pickup when you want, and as a standard mono output pickup when you want.

One thing you could do is mount a NU system at the bridge and wire it for 13 pin output.  Then put two NUs in the Middle and Neck position (or any position you want) and wire them for Mono output with standard pickup switching as you'd like, and then run that mono signal to a standard 1/4" jack and to the 1/4" input on a 13pin cable. 
Or, you could use the XR Dual Active pickups for your "standard magnetic pickups". These are Mono output but also feature the full range sound and CycFi has some VERY nice tone and filtering controls as well as a really nice switching system for that.

There is no official kit from CycFi yet to route the NU signal out a 13 pin.  But I tell ya, it was REALLY simple to get the basics going for me:  I got the Nu Basic set, attached to their internal breakout board, then I got a standard 13pin jack and wired from the pins of the 13pin to the breakout board (one wire for each string signal, one wire for ground, one wire for power from the 13 pin).  Plugged it in, suddenly I had a much better sounding 13 pin rig than I'd ever had before.   Wiring up the "S1/S2" buttons and the "Synth,Both, Guitar" are fairly simple too...but I haven't done that on this instrument yet.  This is the easiest way to get the NU to work with 13 pin. 
I plan to use the CycFi breakout box (Called Nexus) when it comes out... simply because I want to have both 13 pin and individual string outputs, I can avoid having a 13 pin connector on my guitar (instead it uses a locking Lemo connnector), and it also has provision for converting some knob and switch information to MIDI, which I want to do on my next instrument.  So there is a simple way to get up and running with just 13 pin, and ways to expand from there.
Obviously I'm a fan. 

I should say out loud again here since I've been talking about these pickups so favorably on the forum:  I'm not paid or otherwise compensated by Cycfi but I do have a relationship with them in which I'm providing some of my opinion and insight into what I believe the players and builders who are interested in using single string pickups need.

Vanceg sounds like these are good.
I do have a few questions which you may be able to answer.

I have just picked up a Nashvile Power Telecaster and want to do a GK3 install then saw these PUPS. So all the questions would relate to this type of guitar.

1) you mention mounting the pickup further along the string. Would there be problems setting up the VG99 or GR33 as it asks you to input the string to bridge distance ?

2) Do you think think it could fit on the middle pickup side of the bridge pickup,?

3)how did you find spacing the PUPs height as it mentions EVA foam spacers and shims. Are these included?

4) I guess all i would need is the basic kit as i dont want S1 or S2 switching etc. hmmm might want a volume knob tho. is that possible easily?

1997 Black USA Fender Roland Ready Stratocaster,
USA Seafoam Green Closet Pro Fender Custom Shop Strat,
USA Red Fender Telecaster with Fishman Tripple play,
Indonesian Trans Red Jim Adkins Telecaster,
MEX Sunburst Nashville Power Telecaster,
USA  PRS SC245,
USA Taylor T5.

vanceg

Quote from: dr_macd on May 01, 2017, 09:45:36 AM

Vanceg sounds like these are good.
I do have a few questions which you may be able to answer.

I have just picked up a Nashvile Power Telecaster and want to do a GK3 install then saw these PUPS. So all the questions would relate to this type of guitar.

1) you mention mounting the pickup further along the string. Would there be problems setting up the VG99 or GR33 as it asks you to input the string to bridge distance ?

2) Do you think think it could fit on the middle pickup side of the bridge pickup,?

3)how did you find spacing the PUPs height as it mentions EVA foam spacers and shims. Are these included?

4) I guess all i would need is the basic kit as i dont want S1 or S2 switching etc. hmmm might want a volume knob tho. is that possible easily?

What I would do if I was using the NU pickups for VG-series or GR series is:  Put the NU pickups as close to the bridge as possible.  If you want to place the pickup in a standard Strat Bridge location, you will, indeed, be placing the pickup further from the bridge than Roland recommends.  In my experience, this has resulted in a every so slightly different tone from the modeled sounds than when I was able to set the pickups up exactly to Roland's specifications.  That said,  the tonal difference is small and, personally I always just set the Pickup <-> Bridge Distance parameter to whatever setting I think sounds best.  I start out by measuring the distance between the pickup and the bridge and entering in those values (if possible) but then I adjust that setting until I like it anyway.  So in my experience, this WILL effect the tone a little bit, but personally I find it to be a setting I want to adjust to my own taste anyway.  (note that I DO often stick with the "proper" settings as I do think they sound good). 

One important note is that the further you move the pickup from the bridge, the more bending a string will be a problem due to the tight pickup pattern of a hex pickup.   This, to me, is the very biggest reason to ensure that the pickup is as close to the bridge as possible.

Due to what I mention above, I wouldn't recommend using the middle pickup position.  But, I HAVE done this - You are just kinda doomed to not bending strings without having a huge dropoff in volume.

The pickup height adjustment is pretty easy, but I can't be totally sure right now If the shims are included - THey were on my pickup sets, but I may have added those on.   I think it's all included in the standard package (THe reason I don't know is that I have some earlier pickups).

I believe the S1/S2 switches are included and I believe you have to buy a separate volume knob to attach.  They sell the volume knob.   

Note that I have not yet received the Roland 13 pin Kit from Cycfi.  My Cycfi pickups that are equipped with a 13 pin output were a hack I did myself.  A very easy, almost effortless hack, but it wasn't officially supported when I did it.  Now it is supported using their 13 pin adaptor kit. 

GuitarBuilder

Here's my approach for a modern hex guitar, using the Cycfi Research pickups:

The Nu Multi 6 is mounted on a double width baseplate along with a XR Flex Dual Passive pickup.  The middle and neck pickups are also XR Flex Dual Passive.

The guitar uses a Lemo-compatible connector and cable for all signals:

The other end connects to the Nexus breakout box; I added a Synth-Linx GK connector to allow the Nu Multi 6 signal to drive my synths:

The Nexus breakout box is quite hackable - all key signals are available to the user:

The rear panel has 12 audio channel and a MIDI output:

Here's a block diagram of the Nexus breakout box:

The standard configuration accommodates 8 audio channels, 4 audio/CV channels (configurable) and 3 CV channels.  All 12 audio channels can be configured as inputs (foot switches or expression pedals) as well.  The MIDI board is fully programmable to convert custom CV values to PCs and/or CCs.  12V power with separate power and signal grounds are supplied via the Lemo connector.

I will post a complete build thread when finished.

Elantric

What situations can the CV to MIDI MODULE be used ?

Is this strictly for support of onboard knobs/switches generating MIDI CC# messages

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Elantric on May 08, 2017, 02:48:29 PM
What situations can the CV to MIDI MODULE be used ?

Is this strictly for support of onboard knobs/switches generating MIDI CC# messages

Here's the description of the MIDI module:

http://www.cycfi.com/2016/12/nexus-update-midi-module/

It is open source and hackable:

http://www.cycfi.com/category/nexus/

The basic function is to convert CV to MIDI, however, I suspect that it can be programmed to do just about anything with MIDI commands as well.  The code is available and it is fully customizable.

chlorinemist

Quote from: vanceg on May 03, 2017, 01:16:35 PM
What I would do if I was using the NU pickups for VG-series or GR series is:  Put the NU pickups as close to the bridge as possible.  If you want to place the pickup in a standard Strat Bridge location, you will, indeed, be placing the pickup further from the bridge than Roland recommends.  In my experience, this has resulted in a every so slightly different tone from the modeled sounds than when I was able to set the pickups up exactly to Roland's specifications.  That said,  the tonal difference is small and, personally I always just set the Pickup <-> Bridge Distance parameter to whatever setting I think sounds best.  I start out by measuring the distance between the pickup and the bridge and entering in those values (if possible) but then I adjust that setting until I like it anyway.  So in my experience, this WILL effect the tone a little bit, but personally I find it to be a setting I want to adjust to my own taste anyway.  (note that I DO often stick with the "proper" settings as I do think they sound good). 

One important note is that the further you move the pickup from the bridge, the more bending a string will be a problem due to the tight pickup pattern of a hex pickup.   This, to me, is the very biggest reason to ensure that the pickup is as close to the bridge as possible.

Due to what I mention above, I wouldn't recommend using the middle pickup position.  But, I HAVE done this - You are just kinda doomed to not bending strings without having a huge dropoff in volume.

The pickup height adjustment is pretty easy, but I can't be totally sure right now If the shims are included - THey were on my pickup sets, but I may have added those on.   I think it's all included in the standard package (THe reason I don't know is that I have some earlier pickups).

I believe the S1/S2 switches are included and I believe you have to buy a separate volume knob to attach.  They sell the volume knob.   

Note that I have not yet received the Roland 13 pin Kit from Cycfi.  My Cycfi pickups that are equipped with a 13 pin output were a hack I did myself.  A very easy, almost effortless hack, but it wasn't officially supported when I did it.  Now it is supported using their 13 pin adaptor kit.

Really cool looking build!! Are you using the cycfi Active Volume control for your XR Flex's? On my Jaguar I ended up installing an active XR, hooking it directly to the breakout board, and blending the pickup in with a CV knob assigned to the "Mono" knob on my 6Appeal. All the knobs are CV, and I have the 5way CV switch to change presets for my PU configs.
This works out alright since its just one mono pickup and one hex, but on my Bass VI I'm gonna have two XR flexes. I'm thinking I'll hook them up to on/off switches, send the output from the switches to an Active Volume pot, and send that to one of my Nexus channels. Is this how you're going about it or are you doing something different?

GuitarBuilder

The guitar I posted is the first of two; this customer wanted an instrument he could play in traditional (1/4" to amp) mode or hexaphonic/GK via Nexus.  I'm using the Active Volume and Resonant Filter for the traditional output.  That signal is also present on channel 9 of the Nexus and routed to the 13-pin connector on the front along with channels 1-6.  As soon as I get a few more parts from Joel, I will be modifying the Active Volume to a dual pot, controlling guitar volume and synth volume in blend mode. The synth volume is a CV on channel 12 (identical to Roland GK); in addition, channel 15 will have GK SW CV permanently set to 1.04V to emulate the guitar/synth/mix switch set to mix.  This allows flexibility to add the switch later, if necessary - the blend control reduces the pot and switch count nicely!  The GK connector on Nexus essentially has all but the S1/S2 and power connections.  I never use S1/S2 on my GK guitars, because I prefer to change settings via my RJM MM GT16 MIDI controller.  The 13-pin out is distributed to 4 destinations via Primova GKPX-14.  The hex string outputs on the rear of Nexus go into a DAW.

The second Cycfi-equipped guitar is 100% Nexus with Nu and XR active pickups, 4 CV pots, and 5-way CV switch for presets.  I'll likely start that one in about 6 weeks.

chlorinemist

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on May 19, 2017, 07:23:17 AM
The guitar I posted is the first of two; this customer wanted an instrument he could play in traditional (1/4" to amp) mode or hexaphonic/GK via Nexus.  I'm using the Active Volume and Resonant Filter for the traditional output.  That signal is also present on channel 9 of the Nexus and routed to the 13-pin connector on the front along with channels 1-6.  As soon as I get a few more parts from Joel, I will be modifying the Active Volume to a dual pot, controlling guitar volume and synth volume in blend mode. The synth volume is a CV on channel 12 (identical to Roland GK); in addition, channel 15 will have GK SW CV permanently set to 1.04V to emulate the guitar/synth/mix switch set to mix.  This allows flexibility to add the switch later, if necessary - the blend control reduces the pot and switch count nicely!  The GK connector on Nexus essentially has all but the S1/S2 and power connections.  I never use S1/S2 on my GK guitars, because I prefer to change settings via my RJM MM GT16 MIDI controller.  The 13-pin out is distributed to 4 destinations via Primova GKPX-14.  The hex string outputs on the rear of Nexus go into a DAW.

The second Cycfi-equipped guitar is 100% Nexus with Nu and XR active pickups, 4 CV pots, and 5-way CV switch for presets.  I'll likely start that one in about 6 weeks.

Ah yeah that was the way I originally configured my XR jag. The lower control plate had 1/4" and 19 pin side by side. But it quickly became apparent  that I was not going to be using 1/4" anymore at all. Nexus does everything I need. I used the hole for another CV knob instead, much more useful.

Interesting about the dual Active volume pot! I'd like to see more details about it once you have that made. I was thinking about making my own dual concentric CV pot, or a pot with a push/pull on off switch. I've already run out of cv inputs on my nexus though unfortunately, haha.  Conrolling 5 6Appeal params at the moment with CV pots. Really wanted a few more to control LFO speeds from my guitar, but I've since settled and bought a BCR2000.

Is the second guitar going to have multple XRs, or just one? I'd like to set up my Bass VI with active XRs but I fear switching could become more complicated. At least if I want to keep controlling my pickup config presets with my 6Appeal, as it only has one path for the mono section.

GuitarBuilder

The request was to retain 1/4" compatibility, so the XRs are wired into both.  The challenge is to wire the power such that it works on 9V battery when Nexus is not used.

I have a 6APPEAL as well and I plan on using foot-controlled MIDI for most of the functions, either through an RJM MM GT-16 or KMM Softstep 2.

NTXGizzi

Drooling on my keyboard with envy... 

I wonder if it would be possible to add a sustainer module to the Cycfi system?

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on May 08, 2017, 02:13:08 PM
Here's my approach for a modern hex guitar, using the Cycfi Research pickups:

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: NTXGizzi on June 26, 2017, 11:07:38 AM
Drooling on my keyboard with envy... 

I wonder if it would be possible to add a sustainer module to the Cycfi system?

Cycfi is working on it - they call it the Infinity system.  In the meantime, it should be possible to add a Fernandes or Sustainiac module, provided the electronics and power sources are kept separate.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on May 19, 2017, 07:23:17 AM

I just completed the first guitar!  Here are the final shots:

Ready for testing!

Back view showing Swamp Ash body finished in Tru-Oil.  The Canary neck requires no finish!

Top view - Gotoh Wilkinson tremolo.  Note the Nexus connector on body side; output is 6 individual strings, XR Flex pickup signal, and two control voltages (GK synth volume, GK mix).

Walnut top was finished in Tru-Oil as well.  Volume control is a modified EMG dual blend pot, controlling XR Flex and GK synth volumes.

Warmoth provided a beautiful Rosewood fingerboard.

Another view of the Rosewood fingerboard.

Schaller locking tuners.  Note the unfinished headstock and neck - Canary is an amazing wood!

I carefully matched the grain on the body with that of the Canary neck - NOT!  Pure luck.

Fender LSR Roller nut.  Tuning is rock-solid.

whippinpost91850

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

scratch17

First things first. Amazing job GuitarBuilder. Bravo! I have a wood shop and can really appreciate all of the work it took for this beautiful build.

I am trying to come up with a strategy to incorporate a Cycfi NU/XR Combo pickup with the RMC piezo hex pickup in my Brian Moore i213. This is the Korean made model, not the expensive USA made one from the Brian Moore Custom Shop. So I don't mind doing mods to it. It does play really well, even though it only cost me a little over $500 new.

I already have an RMC Fanout Box which I use with the RMC output of the Brian Moore. But I'd really like to be able to add a hex magnetic pickup sound to the hex piezo acoustic sound of the RMC electronics. Yes, I have a VG-99, but I am thinking here of the hex sound of the NU pickup in my DAW, not driving Roland synth/modeling equipment.

I will put a NU/XR Combo pickup in the neck position to replace the stock humbucker in the Brian Moore. This would allow me to layer the magnetic and piezo hex pickup sounds in my DAW. I will probably splurge and replace the bridge pickup with an XR Quad.

Ideally I'd just replace the 13 pin jack on the guitar with a Lemo jack, and use a Nexus for breakout but I don't think I have enough audio channels available. Doing a little arithmetic, I would need two hex audio channels and a mono audio channel for the XR pickups. That is 13 total. The Nexus only supports 12, leaving only 3 CV channels. I suppose I could use the TRS jack on the back of the guitar to carry the XR pickups' audio.

So would that work, and do I really need more than 3 CV channels?

If I left the RMC hex output going to the 13 pin jack, I'd have to do more modification to the guitar. I'd need to put the Lemo jack somewhere. Plus for proper control, I need to combine pickup switching, volume and tone in some way. From what I'm reading on the Cycfi website, that means replacing the several of the stock Brian Moore pots and switches to control the Cycfi pickups.

I definitely will have to add a Lemo connection to my Brian Moore, one way or the other. I have the woodworking chops to do that. I have the routers, bits, and the ability to build templates to create void spaces for the Cycfi electronics. I haven't opened up the guitar yet to scope out its insides. So I am unsure where I would place the Cycfi electronics and the Lemo jack if I kept the 13 pin jack.

The guitar already has four pots, a pickup selector switch and the S1 and S2 toggles.

I have an FC-300 and a MMGT10 to control patch and bank changes on my VG-99. In fact I'd be doing just about all MIDI control from the MMGT10. As a result, I do not need the S1/S2 switches. So I am unsure why I'd need more than three channels of CV. I don't think I need the CV switch either.

I would want 'synth' (hex piezo) volume, NU hex volume, and volume for the XR pickups. For the Nu Hex I think I need a CV pot for volume. That takes a channel of CV. And that means I need the MIDI module for the Nexus. Am I correct?

I would like to use the mixer module. But I don't want to cannibalize the output jacks. Can you modify the Nexus by adding dedicated output jacks for the mixer module?

I am pretty sure I'd want the Resonant Filter pots (Q and Frequency) for the XR pickups. I'd also like to have the blend pot and a the 5 way pickup selector switch.  That's six pots. I suppose I could replace the S1/S2 switches with pots.

It is obvious that I am confused as to how to control this complicated setup. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

admin

QuoteI will put a NU/XR Combo pickup in the neck position to replace the stock humbucker in the Brian Moore. This would allow me to layer the magnetic and piezo hex pickup sounds in my DAW. .

But when play with string bending (assuming you do that)  you will experience string drop outs as the string will no longer be directly over the desired NU/XR Combo pickup coil for that string 

This is why divided hex pickups are mounted close to the bridge

arkieboy

Been following this thread with interest because my favourite guitar doesn't have a GK and I can't bring myself to put it under the chisel/drill to install one.

I don't much use any of the guitar mounted controls on my GK3/RMC equipped guitars: my mix-switch is always set to blend; I control volume and switches from my FC/FCB units; I do everything else via patch changes.  As such I don't need to do a heck of a lot to my guitar to make it 'Roland Ready' and the Cycfi pickup has the potential to reduce that considerably.

What space does this take up inside a guitar?  Could you get the boards inside a trem spring cavity safely?
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4