GK-KIT-BG3- internal Bass kit HELP.

Started by Stegman, February 12, 2013, 12:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegman

Hello, fellow string-men!

I have been wanting to explore the modeling/midi options for a while now, so finally I got the determination to order roland-stuff while I was upgrading my bass's electronics.
My bass is a MTD Kingston 5.
I ordered the EMG MM5TW with a BQC-Control. This sounded good (for a cheap bass). Mag system is working ok (from standard output jack).
Along with this, I wanted to install the GK-KIT-BG3 to drive GR-55.

I didn't have the courage to install this my self, so I finally found a luthier that took the job. While I was a little concerned by the looks on the luthiers face as He was exploring the blue bag of the roland kit, I was convinced that He could do it.
After waiting for sooooome time, the bass was ready. After a (too) quick test at the luthier's, i took it home. Everything seemed to work fine with the GR-55, until I realized that there were no MAG signal present at GR-55. I worked for hours trying to find the answer.. even read the "troubleshooter" from the gr-55 guide  :D
I opened the control cavity to see if some connector was loose.. I realized that some connectors in the preamp board (gk-kit) was empty! Checking from wiring diagram, the empty slots were the 2-pin "For bass signal" and 2-pin "For bass battery". Ok.. the board can suck its voltage from the 13-pin?

I called the luthier about the missing bass signal and the answer was something like; "You can't connect two circuits that has their own power.. if you had a passive Mag set..". This just cant be true? Right? What do you guys think?
I have the equipment to solder etc.. not much experience / knowledge. I found the unused connector wire (bass signal to board).

Does anyone have any good ideas? If the possible soldering is quite easy, I would like to do it my self.

Thanks for reading;
                          Stegman

Elantric

Review the GK-KIT-BG_Installation Manual for Bass
http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/GK-KIT-BG_OM.pdf

Typically a Bass with Active electronics will employ a switching 1/4" Output Jack to switch the internal Battery on/off and "turn on" your onboard Active Electronics.
Retain that 1/4" Switching jack, your EMG Active electronics and internal battery.
There is a three pin connector on the Roland Internal GK Kit "Amp Board" where you connect the Normal signal and Ground from the 1/4" Output Jack  - this is to feed the Normal Bass Guitar pickups to the 13 pin electronics.

When using the 13 pin cable alone, You must insert a dummy 1/4" mono plug into the 1/4" Output Jack  -  this enables your onboard active electronics which are powered by your internal +9V battery.

hubrad

Hi after four years!
I'm having the GK-KIT-BG3 fitted in a custom-build Overwater, and I see how there's a problem.
The diagram posted by Elantric is for the -BG, not the -BG3, and the connectors have changed. Now there are two 2-pin connectors; I'm thinking the Bass Battery connector is to avoid having to use a blank jack plug to switch any actives.. presumably it's some kind of internal switch, says it's internally fused and not to exceed 12V. Since I'll be running 18V active EMG pickups, I'm thinking to just ignore this function and use the old blank jack plug idea. Sound useful?
I contacted Roland UK, but their guy is a parts supplier, not an engineer, and suggested I take it to a guitar tech (lol!). Can't get any more up-to-date info from them. Great company!

admin

Quotenot likely since the GK-3B-Kit for bass seems to be discontinued.

Its back in production and  still available  - by special order

https://www.roland.com/us/products/gk-kit-bg3/

IN stock today (Jan 2020) at Thomann for $92 USD
https://www.thomannmusic.com/roland_gkkitbg_bass.htm