GR-55 - Make your GK-3 "Guitar/Mix/Synth" Switch work (step by step)

Started by Elantric, March 09, 2011, 08:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

start here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3402.0

--
-----

http://www.rolandus.com/support/knowledge_base/?HD_ID=105241

--
Hearing Your Normal (Guitar) Pickup Signal

If you want to hear your guitar's original pickup sound in the GR-55, you need to activate the NORMAL PICKUP switch within each patch. Here's how.

1. Choose a patch to edit.

2. Press the EDIT button.

3. Press PAGE left until you select the TONE menu.

4. Press the down-cursor button to select NORMAL PICKUP.

5. Turn the dial to highlight the NORMAL PICKUP box.

6. Set the GK select switch to the MIX position.

Note: If you want to hear only the guitar sound, de-select the PCM1, PCM2, and Model boxes as well.

If desired, press WRITE to save the new setting as a User patch, and then repeat the process for any patch in which you want to hear the original pickup sound.

--

youngjr1

Hi first post here, I joined this forum specifically because I was having the issue of not being able to use the GK blend switch. I wanted to have the "Guitar Out" and "Stereo Out"  functions in one cable, so that I could run both the patch sounds and my pure bass sound, in any configuration, directly into my bass amp instead of having to run two separate signals to a PA or mixing board.  I think it's a pretty big design flaw that this doesn't work on the GR-55, but I've found a very simple solution to it. This doesn't require any modification of the device, nor does it require going into every patch and/or searching through settings. 

I happened to remember I have a Morley ABY 2 button signal foot-switch stored away and took it out. I originally bought this to easily switch between two basses when playing live. But it works perfectly for this problem since the pedal allows for not only switching between 2 input signals, but also allows for blending them.  So, I can run the "Guitar Out" and the "Output" from the GR-55 into the Morley A and B inputs, and then run them blended A&B out to my amp through a single cable. No patch mods needed, the GK-3B three way switch is fully functional now (I can blend the pickup and patch sounds, go patch only, or output only my pickup tone with the flick of a switch). Also the volume on the GK-3B controls the GR55 patch sounds, and even better, the bass knob controls on my bass (volume, tone, blend) are able to be used just like normal. This is a much easier, user friendly, and instinctive way to control the blends and volumes of the bass sounds and patches, rather than having to change a lot of settings on the GR-55 or physically mod the pedal.

This is the ABY switch I'm using:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ABY
(I'm sure it is available other places, and there are probably other brands that make A-B switch/blend pedals, this is just the one I have.)

Hope that helps some others with the same problem.

AngeloEvs

The first post states that setting GK vol in the System settings to anything other than 'Patch Volume' is going to cause problems but the following posts that deal with getting the GK three way switch to work correctly require the GK Vol to be set to Tone in the system settings.   

I am having problems getting the three way switch to work correctly and the Assign Hold function to work.

If I set the GK Volume to Patch Volume in 'System' settings and Assign Hold to 'On', the position of the Exp Pedal regards transferring Volume data works when switching patches but I cannot hear the Normal Pick up when the GK switch is set to  Guitar only, I can only hear the Normal PU in Mix

If I then set the GK Volume in System Settings to Tone Volume and leave Assign Hold to 'On', the Normal Pickup can be heard in Guitar and Mix but the Assign Hold no longer works and, when selecting a patch, the pedal position is ignored and the patch is full volume, I can also hear the PCM Tones  in the Guitar only position.

Have I missed something or do I have a System Glitch or is this normal?