white cover on gk pickup on a roland ready strat

Started by dayn, February 22, 2010, 10:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stupendousman

It also has the white buttons.

Didn't know about the cover.  I wonder if that's available as a separate part?

musicman65

The cover may impact tracking buy my RR Strats work pretty good. I did sand my covers down a bit on the far edge from the bridge. There where already marks were the string had been touching.

I too wish they made a white kit. Huge over site by the gk folks IMO.

bd

Elantric

Order the white GK Pu from GC-1 direct from Fender
Its sold as a Pickup Assemby with White Cover.

Its a Fender Part number 0047921000 " Pickup Ass'y Roland"

Call their Customer Service number in Scottsdale,AZ
Like all magnetic hex pickups, these Plug straight into any GK-3 or GK-Kit Internal preamp with the 8 pin white connector.

Francis 7

Any idea how much Roland charge for this? Wanted this for awhile- I'm having a guitar put together and the white would go perfectly:)

Elantric

Last time I bought this it was $65 + S&H   and taxes. About $80.

stupendousman

Sounds like highway robbery.

I can probably track down a better color inexpensive button set that woukd work, but I wonder how well the pickup would do PAINTED white?  Leaving the pole pieces unpainted, of course. Not as nifty looking as the Roland cover, but it would probably alleviate any problems the cover could give as far as response goes.

Francis 7

Quote from:  Elantric on May 21, 2013, 11:21:27 PM
Last time I bought this it was $65 + S&H   and taxes. About $80.

Thanks, Elantric, I'm gonna give them a call.  :)

Francis 7

Talked to Roland- SUPER nice guy, but he couldn't help me. He said the parts are shipped straight to Fender and that I should call them. He did various searches but could find nothing.  :(

Elantric

Bummer

Ok-

so referencing our schematics thread here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73.0

We see the Roland Ready Strat Service Manual
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=73.0;attach=6977

and see that the white Gk pickup with white cover is Fender Part Number # 0047921000 (Pickup Ass'y Roland,)

Call Fender Customer service in Arizona
http://www.fender.com/support/articles/contact-consumer-relations/
Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
Attn: Consumer Relations Dept.
17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

Telephone: (480) 596-7195
Fax: (480) 367-5262
E-mail: consumerrelations@fender.com

Call and ask them to sell you a replacement part  -  Fender Part Number # 0047921000 (Pickup Ass'y Roland,)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=595.0

When I bought mine in 1998, I ordered it from a Fender Parts distributor called "Parts is Parts" in Chicago, Ill.

But they since relocated to Vermont

They might be able to custom order this for you too.
http://www.guitar-parts.com/

Phone: 802-365-7257   
Toll Free: 800-590-0014   
Fax: 802-365-7259   
E-Mail: info@partsisparts.net

oddguitar

I assume there is no way to get a whole replacement GC-1 pickguard from Fender?  I like the GC-1, but I already have a nicer USA-made Strat that would make a great Roland-Ready Strat.

-oddguitar

stupendousman

Elantric

I assume there is no way to get a whole replacement GC-1 pickguard from Fender?  I like the GC-1, but I already have a nicer USA-made Strat that would make a great Roland-Ready Strat.

-oddguitar

Ill repeat

referencing our schematics thread here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73.0

We see the Roland Ready Strat Service Manual PDF here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=73.0;attach=6977

and see that all parts for GC-1/Roland Ready Strat are listed in the PDF. Order the parts you need direct from Fender.

and see that the white Gk pickup with white cover is Fender Part Number # 0047921000 (Pickup Ass'y Roland,)

Call Fender Customer service in Arizona
http://www.fender.com/support/articles/contact-consumer-relations/
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

Call and ask them to sell you replacement parts, mention the specific part numbers you obtain from the PDF above.
But realize the total might surprise you( i.e. you might spend way too much money ordering individual parts direct from Fender.

So I'll mention that if you are on a budget, it's cheaper to search for a gently used Roland Ready Strat on eBay. I bought one for $350 last year. And I've seen many sellers who "part them out" selling just the body with all hardware,hex pickup,electronics and pick guard for $250.

Last I checked Fender wanted $100 for the Roland Ready/GC-1 plastic pickguard alone, no electronics.

musicman65

I think white paint would hold up pretty well in the pickup. I can't see how painting the poles would matter. Magnetics aren't affected by paint unless its some conductive material which most are not.

bd

erikbojerik

I have been through this entire exercise - called Roland, Fender, etc etc got all nice folks on the line but no one could hook me up with the pickup cover.  But then again I did not have the part number, so that may be enough to get it done.  But you WILL pay dearly for it.

I ended up buying a new RR Strat for a steal, sold the neck & body, kept the pickguard with all the parts.  The pickup+cover+electronics will go into a custom guitar this year.

mockchoi

Quote from:  stupendousman on May 22, 2013, 12:25:35 PM
Sounds like highway robbery.

I can probably track down a better color inexpensive button set that woukd work, but I wonder how well the pickup would do PAINTED white?  Leaving the pole pieces unpainted, of course. Not as nifty looking as the Roland cover, but it would probably alleviate any problems the cover could give as far as response goes.

I built a Frankenstein replica and just painted the pickup cover on the single-coil pickup.  I really thought it would chip away, but it never has.  I think you could paint the GK-3 pickup and it would work just fine.

MeanMrMustard

Hello Forum,

I have read here that the white plastic cover on the gk pickup on a roland ready strat slightly impedes the tracking while using your gr55 or vg99. Has anyone attempted to remove this cover? If so was it difficult? And if you did remove it, was the tracking considerably better?
Thanks
MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

www.myspace.com/addisonbrady

gumbo

...yes, but it made the music darker...   ;D

Actually, yes, it was better...but more from the fact that the pickup poles could be more accurately set in relation to the strings, rather than (I think) that the white plastic was itself impeding the signal..

When the RR Strat in question gets its new pickguard and a few electronics changes next year, things will be even further tidied up.. ;)

Cheers from 33C Oz today..
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

MeanMrMustard

Gumbo,

Thanks for the reply. Are fender and roland really slated to issue an new roland ready strat next year?
Any idea on a timeline for it?

Thanks again
MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

www.myspace.com/addisonbrady

Elantric

QuoteThanks for the reply. Are fender and roland really slated to issue an new roland ready strat next year?

I very much doubt this - as Roland just updated the Fender Roland Ready Strat as the Roland GC-1, in 2012.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1189

Lonnie412

I painted one white using applaince epoxy paint.  Looked pretty good.  A little orange peel

Moja

I wondered a lot about differences between GK-2, GK-3 and the white factory GK pickup.  I have all three types.
   So I took white one apart, used my digital calipers, etc....
    Yes there is plastic thickness between the PU six magnet pole pieces !!

But as you can see from the attached picture, Roland mechanical plastic designers cleverly solved the problem. My calipers show that the plastic body ( sides and top ) are 1.0mm thick for structural reasons. But if you look closely inside the white cavity, one can see two rows where the six dual magnets fit into. It turns out the plastic thickness is paper thin. This extremely thin plastic allows for the magnet pole pieces to be virtually at the surface of the plastic housing.

So, IMHO,   the white plastic housing has no effect on PU performance.

The only problem is that he WHITE cover does not allow for Radius Adjustment.  It is fixed at 9.5 inch .

erikbojerik

Yep I saw the same thing when I put my custom guitar together.  And came to the same conclusion regarding tracking now that I've had some time to play with it.

FWIW the pickup underneath the white cover looks nothing like the pickup on an external GK pickup, the pole pieces and the coils (!) for each of the 6 pickups are exposed, and they are all mounted on a flexible strip that is itself not mounted to anything.  It is designed to be trapped between the white plastic cover and the metal base (with mounting holes) that snaps into the bottom of it.  You could not simply remove the white cover and use the pickup that way, since the strip that holds the 6 coils is not attached except by the wires that run into the guitar cavity. You would need to attach it to the metal base with double-stick tape or something.  I chose to leave the cover in place and will try to paint it to match the body.

Buckeye burl on black limba with a thin bloodwood accent layer between, 5-piece laminated maple-walnut neck with birdseye maple fretboard. 

This one also has the brains for a Variax 500 on board as well (using the Variax bridge) powered by a lithium 9V.  All signals go out on the Roland 13-pin cable, but I've preserved the 1/4" and RJ45 jacks from the Variax.

ericar123

Hi
Has anyone ever bought the white pickup that Fender uses on the roland strats? I have an American VG strat that uses one but I would like one to use with another guitar that I have a GK kit installed on. It would look much better than the black one. How would I go about ordering one?

Headless68

There is one for sale in the 'used gear' section of the forum (not marked as sold so may still be available )

Headless

Elantric

Order the white GK Pu from GC-1 direct from Fender
Its sold as a Pickup Assemby with White Cover.

Its a Fender Part number 0047921000 " Pickup Ass'y Roland"

Call their Customer Service

Fender Customer service in Arizona
Scottsdale, AZ 85255