Katana - Report Bugs - Firmware 2.01 Bug list.

Started by Elantric, October 19, 2017, 03:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25081489/
Alp wrote>
QuoteI bought the head a week ago and updated to firmware 2.0 directly. There is a very annoying bug i discovered. When you turn on or off PATCH Eq (not global), that carries over all the presets, even the on/off status display on the BTS remains uneffected, if you turn off the Eq, it turns off on all presets, also you turn Eq on a preset, in turns on in every preset. Saving the current situation on patch does not solve the problem on BTS or on the amp itself. Turn off the amp and turn on again, problem remains. I am talking about Patch Eq, NOT the global Eq. Hope this problem will be solved soon with an update. Anybody else observed this??

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20367.msg158456#msg158456
RLD wrote>
QuoteI've reverted back to V1.02 because the fx chain order seems to be crippled in V2...so that would be fix #1.
#2...a tuner.
#3...when using 2 controller pedals in to the GA-FC, one defaults to volume at the end of chain.
Would like the position of that volume block to be movable.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20367.msg158737#msg158737
snhirsch wrote>
QuoteNot that I hold out much hope for a third Katana firmware rev, but it would be great if the S/R loop send stayed active all the time while return toggled on and off.  I need a line output with no speaker sim that can coexist with use of S/R as a poor man's boost.  I find the current behavior very surprising and not particularly helpful.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.msg157953#msg157953
Codesmart wrote>
QuoteHm..anybody have a suggestion on how the new problem with "not storing custom FX chain in patch" in KATANA V2 can be managed? Extending CC# 23 EFFECT CHAIN ORDER (0-2) with a bunch of other volatile/none stored FX chain orders?

The only remaining free CC# are 41,42 and 89.

CodeSmart

This compiled chart with input from just 3-4 users really show how the FX chain may vary, and how important it is for Boss to release a fix for V2 with ability to store the current FX chain.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

rolandvg99

Quote from: CodeSmart on October 19, 2017, 10:35:35 PM
This compiled chart with input from just 3-4 users really show how the FX chain may vary, and how important it is for Boss to release a fix for V2 with ability to store the current FX chain.

My problem is that I come from Roland/BOSS gear with very flexible chain setups and before that pedals/rack-mount gear. For a beginner looking at a budget amp the Katana V2 will do just fine, but for those who come from high end gear and ditto flexibility it becomes a struggle. Still can't get my head around the choice of GA-FC FX control of the Wah/Vol only and sticking FX after OD in all three of the preset chains.

If they did the FX like in the SY-300 it would never be an issue. I.e. 2-4 identical banks of FX with all effects available from the fx pool with a movable amp section.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25087729/
alp said: ↑
It exactly works that way also for me. However, ON/OFF status for the Patch EQ is common for all patches. Try it yourself, do a radical EQ tweak (let's say reduce the high cut down to 1kHz) on two of your patches and save those patches on two memory slots, then turn OFF the Patch EQ on one of these patches and jump to the other and you'll see Patch EQ is turned OFF on that patch as well, even though the ON/OFF display for Patch EQ on the BTS tells you otherwise.
OK, thats interesting and completely counter-intuitive. I'm gonna test that when i get home.

fr8_trane wrote >

So if this is true and you turn patch EQ on, you'll need to make sure that for the patches you dont want to use Patch EQ everything is zero'd. No cuts or boosts.

This doesnt surprise me considering that you cant have different delay times for green red and amber. You can only change the type of delay. Which makes absolutely no sense.

vtgearhead

So, this is interesting.  I cannot reproduce the reported problem where channel EQ state applies to all channels.  I have saved as "on" on Ch. B-2 and nowhere else.  When I select B-2 it shows as "on" in BTS, but when I step on the GA-FC and move to B-1, it's "off" as it should be.

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25108216/
Benoa wrote>
QuoteTo all raging about the "panel" bug with the latest firmware update, Boss told me v2.02 is coming soon!

Elantric

Yoshi Ikegami (Roland/ Boss)wrote>

I recognized some bug report of KTN Ver 2.01 on TGP, so I discussed with Amp team.
We are fixing bugs now. We're gonna release 2.02 next week, now we are checking beta version.
In this version, I knew it doesn't include Sys Ex problem with the fxfloorboard software, so we will fix Sys Ex problem asap too in next version.

Please share this info with your friends.

Best,
Yoshi
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-katana-amplifiers.1744135/page-574

rolandvg99

Quote from: Elantric on October 24, 2017, 08:21:01 AM
Yoshi Ikegami wrote>

I recognized some bug report of KTN Ver 2.01 on TGP, so I discussed with Amp team.
We are fixing bugs now. We're gonna release 2.02 next week, now we are checking beta version.
In this version, I knew it doesn't include Sys Ex problem with the fxfloorboard software, so we will fix Sys Ex problem asap too in next version.

Please share this info with your friends.

Best,
Yoshi

Good news, Steve.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

vtgearhead

I posted these on a different thread, then realized they belong here:

Issues and errata in Firmware 2.01

• Muting of the SR send when loop is bypassed.  Bypass should affect return only (expected behavior).
  • Add an option to bypass all speaker/cabinet/mic modeling on the Line Out for those who wish to use IRs.

Hopefully these can be forwarded to Yoshi for inclusion in an upcoming fix.

mojorowe

I don't know if this is a bug or glitch or just how it is supposed to be, but, I was working with the booster effects and had
programmed a clean boost on the green slot and natural overdrive on the red slot. I then put a t-screamer in the yellow slot, however,
the volume was way too loud so I dialed back the drive and effects level until I was satisfied..when I went back to the green (clean boost)
all of my settings for that were now matched to what I had dialed for the yellow/t-screamer slot and therefore too quiet.
So, it appears that the settings for the three slots, red, green, and yellow, in the booster section, are global and not independent for each color.
After going back and forth many times to try to get these to set independently, I finally gave in and just assigned the three (clean boost, natural od, and t-screamer) to 3 different channels. While this works, it sure takes up a lot of space using 3 of my 8 channels.

gumtown

Quote from: mojorowe on October 29, 2017, 06:19:10 PM
I don't know if this is a bug or glitch or just how it is supposed to be, but, I was working with the booster effects and had
programmed a clean boost on the green slot and natural overdrive on the red slot. I then put a t-screamer in the yellow slot, however,
the volume was way too loud so I dialed back the drive and effects level until I was satisfied..when I went back to the green (clean boost)
all of my settings for that were now matched to what I had dialed for the yellow/t-screamer slot and therefore too quiet.
So, it appears that the settings for the three slots, red, green, and yellow, in the booster section, are global and not independent for each color.
After going back and forth many times to try to get these to set independently, I finally gave in and just assigned the three (clean boost, natural od, and t-screamer) to 3 different channels. While this works, it sure takes up a lot of space using 3 of my 8 channels.

That is how it works, the R,G,Y slots are only for effect "TYPE" selection, all the other parameters are common.
Not a bug as such, but a limitation by design.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mojorowe

Quote from: gumtown on October 29, 2017, 06:43:42 PM
That is how it works, the R,G,Y slots are only for effect "TYPE" selection, all the other parameters are common.

Thanks gumtown.. yes, limiting for sure but at least I have 8 channels to work with.
I appreciate the reply and glad to know its not a bug.

vtgearhead

Quote from: gumtown on October 29, 2017, 06:43:42 PM

Is that true across different EFX or MOD types?  Changing between, e.g. compressor and chorus shouldn't drag along any common control settings.

BlueFuse

Greetings all. I played a gig last weekend with my Kat 100 112 with the new firmware. I have a Boss unlatched pedal(FS-5U)  patched in to the FX input of my GA FC pedal to switch banks.  Once during set up and once during the gig after I'd changed banks, the amp went silent.  When I pulled the FS-5U out it seemed to re-set the amp and all was back. But it was a scary moment.  I haven't had time to trouble shoot with a different patch cable, but anyone else have this experience? 

I'm wondering if it has anything to the earlier report of an expression pedal in "off" position rendering the amp mute until reset.
many thanks.

gumtown

Quote from: snhirsch on October 30, 2017, 04:27:17 AM
Is that true across different EFX or MOD types?  Changing between, e.g. compressor and chorus shouldn't drag along any common control settings.
More so for the Booster effect, where all of the controls are common across all the Booster "types",
different for MOD and FX where each effect has it's own set of controls.
Delay shares some common controls, some delay types have there own "TIME' parameter.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

peroed

Note sure if this is already known.

Under MacOS High Sierra (I know, driver and software are not released for High Sierra, but I purchased the amp AFTER migration to High Sierra), if I switch off the amp while Tone Studio is still running, this will crash my Mac. All Bluetooth connections lost, no way to do anything but a hard reset.

admin

Katana Firmware 2.02 out now
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-100/updates_drivers/4b233e0e-e986-494f-9e1f-11ee766679b4/

Update history
[ Ver.2.02 ] NOV 2017
Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
When TONE SETTING is set to "PANEL," after using the GA-FC (foot controller) to set respective effects to "OFF" and then again selecting "PANEL," the respective effects return to "ON."
Selecting a TONE SETTING for which EQ is set to "OFF" yields sound for which EQ is set to "ON."
When a MIDI Program Change message and Control Change message are received simultaneously, the Control Change message is not applied.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, all TONE SETTING Program Change numbers are set to "1." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set the Program Change number for each TONE SETTING.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, the SEND/RETURN values for BANK A and "PANEL" are set to "OFF." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set SEND/RETURN to "ON."

[ Ver.2.01 ] OCT 2017
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "KATANA Owner's Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
To make settings for added functions, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2.
A function to switch between BANK A/B has been added to TONE SETTING.
Please refer to the "KATANA Series Version 2 Supplementary Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
"LINE OUT AIR FEEL" and "CABINET RESONANCE" were added.
"PHASE 90E" and "FLANGER 117E" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
"SDE-3000" was added to DELAY TYPE.
DELAY2, EQ (PATCH EQ), and GLOBAL EQ effect modules were added.
SEND/RETURN is now settable for each individual TONE SETTING value.
Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible.

[ Ver.1.02 ] OCT 2016
Functionality Improvements
Support for BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA was added.
Noise when switching effects was reduced.
Bug Fix
The following bug was fixed.
No sound produced immediately after making a USB connection.

admin

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24519.msg177772#msg177772
Quote from: lionheart on Today at 09:51:16 AM

QuoteI hope that Boss do an update that resolves the  annoying anomaly with the Blues Driver that I discovered.
You may already know of it - if you adjust the Drive Level via BTS it automatically drops the Effect Level setting to what appears to be an arbitrary factory preset.

But understand there is a built in factory programmed "baked in" behavior of the Katana FX Knobs, which are not user redefine-able
( which this fact is barely acceptable on a $250 amp (Katana 50) , and intolerable on a $700 amp ( Katana Artist)