Replacement jack _plate_

Started by vtgearhead, July 14, 2017, 11:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtgearhead

I have one of Gumbo's cool 13-pin jack replacements and recommend them highly.  However, the plastic plate that carries the connector (Roland Strat) is fractured.  To the best of my knowledge, this piece is sold only as part of an entire (and fairly costly) assembly - if it's available at all (no response from any Fender servicer yet).

Does anyone know of a service who can supply or fabricate a suitable replacement?  If worse comes to worse, I'll make my own from a piece of sheet aluminum, but it would be nice to find something ready made with the proper curvature, dimensions, screw centers and countersinking.

Editorial:  I find it absolutely unbelievable that Roland and/or Fender do not make this easily broken piece available as a stand alone part. 

gumbo

Thanks for the compliment, BTW  :-*

Let me know if this all falls in a bigger hole than the one in your mounting plate..  I'm not prepared to part with the one on my spare R-R Strat body (because I'm planning to rebuild that guitar into something else) but if the World doesn't come up with one for you, I could maybe take a mould off it and then get some more cast in a hard resin...  (after first re-inforcing the original a little before taking the impression!)

..just a thought..  although obviously not a fast solution to the immediate problem   ;)

Failing that, maybe Dial-a-Friend locally who has access to a 3D Scanner & a 3D Printer...

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

vtgearhead

Thanks for the offer, Gumbo, but I wouldn't ask or expect that level of effort.  I've been thinking about possible approaches to a replacement and have a few incompletely formed ideas.

FWIW, I cannot find a source for that replacement part number.  Service centers say they "..cannot help" and I am unable to find a way to contact Fender's factory service organization on their website.

gumbo

Quote from: snhirsch on July 15, 2017, 05:59:40 AM
Thanks for the offer, Gumbo, but I wouldn't ask or expect that level of effort.  I've been thinking about possible approaches to a replacement and have a few incompletely formed ideas.

FWIW, I cannot find a source for that replacement part number.  Service centers say they "..cannot help" and I am unable to find a way to contact Fender's factory service organization on their website.

Elantric found the number in some other post he made...I'll try to find it for you this evening.
I know that I had the number to quote to my local Roland contact, so it's got to be written down here somewhere..  ::)

Peter

gumbo

Hmm...

I just don't know what I've done with that..perhaps Steve (Elantric) can cast more light upon it..

In the meantime all I've managed to dig up is the following PDF which appears to list (on Page 3) the entire assembly of the Roland jack and it's mounting plate (??) as Fender Part # 0048541000.

..dang!  I'll keep looking tomorrow..

Peter

vtgearhead

Quote from: gumbo on July 16, 2017, 04:06:16 AM
Hmm...

I just don't know what I've done with that..perhaps Steve (Elantric) can cast more light upon it..

In the meantime all I've managed to dig up is the following PDF which appears to list (on Page 3) the entire assembly of the Roland jack and it's mounting plate (??) as Fender Part # 0048541000.

..dang!  I'll keep looking tomorrow..

Peter

Yes, that's the number I used when making inquires.  Several folks never bothered to answer.  The one who did simply said they "..couldn't help".  I don't know if that means it isn't available, they cannot be bothered to contact Fender, or something else.

I had previously contacted Full Compass Systems, who told me the plate was "..not available as a replacement part".  That was probably from the viewpoint of a Roland parts distributor and doesn't settle the issue of whether Fender can or will supply it.

In the interim, I ordered a couple of replacement jack plates for Danelectro guitars.  AllParts doesn't give the exact dimensions, but extrapolating from the 3/8" hole for the 1/4" jack it looks to be the right size and form-factor to act as a replacement.  I'll let you all know if this pans out.

gumbo

I can't remember just right now (it IS 1.30 am here, anyway ::) ) whether I ever sent you the 4MB Synth-Linx Installation Instructions PDF so that it would crash your personal Inbox...  !!   ..but in it is ONE page that gives you the drilling template for the Synth-Linx Jack mounting.  I'll take a chance and send that to you..if it crashes, let me know and I'll split out that page and just send that.   It may help in converting the Danelectro unit..

Peter

vtgearhead

Quote from: gumbo on July 16, 2017, 09:03:18 AM
I can't remember just right now (it IS 1.30 am here, anyway ::) ) whether I ever sent you the 4MB Synth-Linx Installation Instructions PDF so that it would crash your personal Inbox...  !!   ..but in it is ONE page that gives you the drilling template for the Synth-Linx Jack mounting.  I'll take a chance and send that to you..if it crashes, let me know and I'll split out that page and just send that.   It may help in converting the Danelectro unit..

Hi, Peter.  You may have sent it, but the only thing I received was a one-page price list and description of the various products.  Gmail tends to leave PDF alone, but perhaps it was over the size limit.

Do you have a Dropbox account or link I can download it from?

I was planning to enlarge the jack plate hole with a stepped bit in my drill press.  The plate may be wide enough to completely cover the four existing screw holes, in which case I'll drill two new ones for it.

This is the link for the Danelectro plate:

https://www.allparts.com/AP-0609-000-Jackplate-for-Danelectro-Guitars_p_347.html

gumbo

Hi Steve, I've just split that page out into a (MUCH!) smaller PDF, and I will send that to your gmail account in a minute.
The centre hole is 15mm, and the two outer bolting holes are 3mm.

Gotta press the ZZZZ button shortly, but will check with you in (my) morning  8)

Cheers,
Peter