How long to the GHOST piezo saddles usually last?

Started by howarddavidp, August 02, 2017, 07:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howarddavidp

Hi,

I bought a Fretlight direct and it came with the Ghost saddles, non trem type.

After plugging it up, I think the B string saddle is out.  I will take it apart and test it this weekend, but I am wondering if it is worth spending $105 to fix this?

I say this because I have a GK-3 on another guitar I like more, as it has a Floyd and I was thinking of getting the Grephtech Floyd, then taking the jack and the board and putting it into that guitar (it is an EVH 5150 B&W clone).

I only have the board, I cannot switch patches like on the GK3.

Question #1-
So, my question is,  with things like the Boss SY-300 coming out, is it worth it to stick with the 13 pin tech?

Question #2-
And if I wanted to go all out, can I expand the current board and add things like the patch change switches, or is that an entirely new kit altogether?

Question #3-
From another post here, it seems like the GK3 is the best, all around and specifically tracking?

Question #4-
Would it be better to get the built-in type GK3 kit for $300 and not go the GHOST-FLOYD route?

Thanks for your advice in advance :)

Dave

shsesc

Her are my answers, I hope it offers some assistance.

Question #1-

For me they do totally different things sy 300 is great at mono or certain intervals synth tones and the 13 pin vg99 is good at everything, but the big one you can't do without 13 pin is tuning changes and per string effects

Question #2-

the ghost kits are modular you can buy the switches separately I just just put a hexpander complete kit in a guitar that already had an acoustaphonic kit.

Question #3-

I'm not sure I'd have to do more comparisons between my gk-3s and the ghost

Question #4-

I used an external gk3 and a pickup ring mounting plate for the gk-3 because of a space issue between my pickup and the Floyd bridge.   I'll try to find the link or photos later. But it is sold by eBay user peteroni
If you already have the external gk-3 it could save you some money  but you should probably wait for someone else to tell you if the piezo or the gk-3 tracks better.  I don't  have  a piezo on a Floyd to compare  I would think  you might lose tension on the saddle when diving  and lose tracking
I make weird sounds with : Boss/Roland: GT-100, SY-300 GK-3 External pickups, GKC-5 cable, VG-99, FC-300, GR-55, DD-500, MD-500, RV-500, ES-8 Fractal: Axe-FX II XL+, MFC-101 Fishman: Tripleplay Pigtronix: Infinity looper Ghost: Hexpander/acoustiphonic preamps and piezo Bridge. Godin A5 SA (RMC

cags12

Quote from: howarddavidp on August 02, 2017, 07:22:45 PM

Question #4-
Would it be better to get the built-in type GK3 kit for $300 and not go the GHOST-FLOYD route?

~$110 GK3 KIT
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/GKKITGT3/electric-guitar-pickups/roland-gk3-internal-pickup-kit

whippinpost91850

I agree with cags12 , Anderton best way to go for the Roland internal kit

admin

QuoteQuestion #3-
From another post here, it seems like the GK3 is the best, all around and specifically tracking?

Question #4-

Several threads / articles here everyone needs to read

GK-13 Interface Top things to know
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=65.0

Which one is better - Piezo or Magnetic hex PU?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5043.0