Boss MS-3 MULTI EFFECTS SWITCHER FAQ

Started by admin, June 01, 2017, 12:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Quote from: Peter the GR-eat... on June 27, 2017, 03:13:00 PM
Hi!

This seems to be a great product!
But...
I don't know if I got this right. But do you have press ctrl 1 and 2 at the same time  for bank down and ctrl 3 and 4 for bank up?

I'm asking because I have trouble with pressing ctrl 1 and 2 for tuner on my GP-10

You could use an external 2 button foot switch ( Boss FS-7) for Bank Up / Bank Down  - using the MS-3 Control Assignments for External CTL1/CTL2

Peter the GR-eat...

Ok! Thanks for the quick response!

Elantric

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://gear-otaku.blogspot.com/2017/06/nux-cerberus-multi-effects.html&prev=search

BOSS MS-3 Multi Effects Switcher became out of stock as soon as it got a great deal of attention with the announcement and it was released.
I found that both the official videos of MS-3 and the two pedal boards used in the product page are custom-made items for European manufacturers.

The base board is produced by Custom Pedal Boards in Wales, England. Sometimes it is the official supplier of GigRig based in the same British, I am using GigRig products for power supply.

https://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/

Schmidt Array of Germany produced the board for guitar. Based on the company's SA450 model, we customize color and wah space.
https://www.schmidtarray.com/product-page/sa450

---SA450
•  450 mm wide two level pedalboard
•  the upper deck is mounted on locking hinges, so it remains in the vertical position when opened and has ball latches underneath to lock it in the closed position when down
•  the angle of the upper deck is ergonomically designed for foot switching comfort
•  the upper deck leg supports are re-positionable to the left and right to ensure that no cable path is ever obstructed
•  the inner area also has space for power supplies and pedals
•  the bottom deck lifts out completely (and locks back into place) for easy cabling
•  both decks and the inside floor are finished with high quality Velcro
•  the side panels are finished with rubber to grip the stage and also to act as protection and Lid location
•  IEC power socket (male outside/female inside)
•  Supplied with flexible LED light, USB re-chargeable power pack and pedal Velcro

Important notes:
•  the decks are at any time replaceable, so if your board has no Wah, Volume or Expression pedal cut-out then it's no problem in the future for us to supply you with a replacement deck that you can fit yourself to suit a new configuration
•  the same goes for the Wah / Volume / Expression pedal extension on the lower deck, this is also movable and replaceable
•  there is an optional 6 channel STEREO Connection Box for GUITAR IN - AMP OUT - EFFECTS LOOP IN / OUT and FOOTSWITCHES (see OPTIONS page for more details)
•  stock colour is Black but if you want something special then please choose a RAL colour from the chart on this product page and contact us, rices for custom colours range from €75-€100.

*all prices are +Tax (in EU countries) and shipping costs.

** DON'T WANT TO USE THE SHOP? THEN JUST DROP US A LINE USING THE CONTACT PAGE AND WE'LL BE HAPPY TO GET BACK TO YOU.
Specs

• Outside - W 480 x D 375 x H 138
• Lower deck - W 450 x D 165
• Upper deck - W 446 x D 185
• Inside - W 450 x D 144
• Height inside - rear 80, front 65
• Gap between upper and lower deck - 37
• Weight - 4,7 kg

*all dimensions in millimetres

https://www.schmidtarray.com/product-page/sa450
https://www.facebook.com/schmidtarray/?ref=py_c

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: Peter the GR-eat... on June 27, 2017, 03:13:00 PM
But do you have press ctrl 1 and 2 at the same time  for bank down and ctrl 3 and 4 for bank up?

I'm asking because I have trouble with pressing ctrl 1 and 2 for tuner on my GP-10
That is the default setting, yes. However, the bank up/down functions may be assigned to an external controller (and the 1+2 and 3+4 functions may be disabled).

Peter the GR-eat...

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on June 28, 2017, 10:16:31 AM
That is the default setting, yes. However, the bank up/down functions may be assigned to an external controller (and the 1+2 and 3+4 functions may be disabled).

Ok great! Thanks for clarifying.

Sevenmodes

BIG DISCOVERY tonight (for me anyway)!!!

The MS-3 has Global tap tempo capability... something that is painfully missing in my GT-100. I have had to run a FS-5U through a MIDI converter into the GT to set the BPM through a clock and the results are unpredictable sometimes.

No more with the MS-3! I found under "Menu" -> "Pref" you can assign BPM to be PATCH or SYSTEM (along with all other CTL and assigns). The GT allows you to set numerous parameters to SYSTEM in the preferences, but not BPM. Nice job BOSS!

So now I have my FS-5U running into CTL 1/2 jack on CTL 1 controlling Global tap tempo... no more re-tapping between Patch changes (verse to chorus and back).

Also, regarding Bank switching, I have mine set up like Elantric shows... except I have an FS-6 running into CTL 3/4.

A couple of notes:

You have to set your CTLs (for Bank +/- ... 1/2 or 3/4) to SYSTEM under the Preferences (so it will work on every Patch). Otherwise it will only work in the Patch you set it up on. Note: Set the CTLs to SYSTEM in PREFS, edit the CTLs once in a Patch, Write, and it will copy to all Patches.

If you use an FS-6, you have to make sure you have your TOGGLE/MOMENT/LATCH settings correctly or the Banks will continuously cycle. Mine seems to work with A/B switches on the FS-6 set to MOMENTARY and the MS-3 CTL settings on TOGGLE.

Peter the GR-eat...

Thanks thats good to now!
I WANT THIS THING!!!
They still haven't got it in my music store.. ARGH!

Jim Williams

Don't think of it as another GT multi effects board it is a loop pedal switcher with the pedals built in and 3 external loops you can put your own favorite pedals in. on the front of the board there 4 foot switched you can select patches and in the other mode you can have them turn things on and off. by it self in preset mode you can step on 1 and 2 to bank up or 3 and 4 to bank down. it will except a midi controller or you can get a Boss FS-7 for bank up and down. you can also use the FS-7 as 2 control switches and and plug in a expression pedal. you have complete control over how you set it up with your pedal board. Keep in mind there is no amp and cab modeling it is just effects. It was built for the guys with tube amps that need more control over their pedal boards.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: Jim Williams on July 06, 2017, 04:57:20 AM
It was built for the guys with tube amps that need more control over their pedal boards.
Seems to work okay with solid state amps too.  :D

While the loops are certainly nice to have (although limited since individual loops can't be re-ordered), it works great as a stand-alone fly rig. So far I am very, very pleased. I'm looking forward to the release of the editor/librarian software.

Jerry K

I am wondering if anyone has any additional thoughts on using this in front of a tube amp?  I was reading at the TGP and it gets mixed results.  Seems like it could be a great product!

guitarno

Looks like this may be a possibility for me soon. I'm looking for a simple multi-FX unit to use with a tube amp, without amp or cab modeling. A couple of questions for anyone here that may have some insights:

How can I use the control outs to switch amp channels on an amp with a proprietary footswitch (Mesa Mark V:35)? Seems I would need a breakout box to go between them and into the mesa footswitch jack for that.

I have a Boss GP-10 which I like a lot but it leaves something to be desired as far as connectibility and integration with other systems.
How can I use the MS-3 with the GP-10? Would I put the GP-10 in one of the MS-3 loops? Or is the best way just to use the guitar out of the GP-10 as the input to the MS-3? Doing that I would end up with 2 separate signal paths that I'd either must combine, or maybe route the GP-10 to a separate amp.

My apologies in advance for not doing the required hunting on my own. If there are posts about this please point me to them. I will have to spend some time looking for some answers for these issues.

Thanks!

Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

carlb

What effects do you want to use, and in what order? Do you need to change order?

That will likely change what your solution will look like.

The goal is to do what you want, while keeping the organizational cluster-muck to a minimum.

ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

guitarno

Quote from: carlb on August 08, 2017, 10:38:36 AM
What effects do you want to use, and in what order? Do you need to change order?

That will likely change what your solution will look like.

The goal is to do what you want, while keeping the organizational cluster-muck to a minimum.

Yeah that's a good goal. I'll take as little "Cluster-Muck" as I can get. ;D  I'm going to find out soon enough: The MS-3 sounds very practical for me on several levels and my curiosity got the best of me and I just ordered one. I'll find out how well it works in tandem with a GP-10. How best to route signals is what I'm pondering for now. Especially using them both with a traditional tube guitar amp. I may need to route the output of the GP-10 into a separate amp/speaker for some of the more synthy sounds. We'll see how it goes. 8)
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

MrHaroldA

I own an MS-3, and I'm trying to use the USB port to extend it in this topic.

Toggling things like FX1 is easy; but the display keeps flashing "BULK DATA RECEIVING...", which is quite annoying. As soon as that is resolved, I plan to build a 5 foot switch controller that mimics a traditional pedal board loop switcher ...

More to follow soon!
Boss MS-3 and Katana library for Arduino: https://github.com/MrHaroldA/MS3

ACFerguson

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on June 26, 2017, 12:01:56 PM
Mine arrived Saturday. The upside for the editor/librarian not being available until July is I was forced to learn how to program via the physical interface. Actually, not bad at all. A whole lot of power and flexibility for such a small footprint.

I like being able to assign a function to subsequent presses of the current preset button (preset mode only). I've already found that to be useful to toggle the solo for the preset, or for tap tempo access (although I think I'll end up having a dedicated external foot switch for that).

Would you be willing to explain (or make a short video) about how you "assign a function to subsequent presses of the current preset button"? This sounds hugely useful. However, I'm very much a newbie when it comes to programming patches!

Cheers,

AC

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: ACFerguson on September 27, 2017, 05:57:59 AM
Would you be willing to explain (or make a short video) about how you "assign a function to subsequent presses of the current preset button"? This sounds hugely useful. However, I'm very much a newbie when it comes to programming patches!
When in memory mode, subsequent presses of the currently selected preset may be used to toggle a selectable parameter. To do this, press the "edit" button and use the [1] knob to scroll over to CTL. Then press the "Enter" button to display the CTL parameters. Use the [1] knob to scroll over to "Current Number SW." Press "Enter," then select the parameter that is controlled when you operate the number switch of the currently selected patch in memory mode. See page 30 of the MS-3 Parameter Guide for a list of targets you can control.

ChrisX

Quote from: Elantric on June 21, 2017, 04:00:27 PM

I'm seriously excited about this one (Boss MS-3)! Top shelf Boss effects and the unit is built like a tank. Also the controls and editing are really clear and easy to use.

Does anyone know what guitar that is? 

24 fret strat w/ floyd.  That is a unicorn.

Elantric

Quote from: ChrisX on November 07, 2017, 06:24:23 AM
Does anyone know what guitar that is? 

Reading the YouTube comments reveal

QuoteJames Ryan wrote>

Yeah man! Schecter SVSS with swapped PU's Duncan's all the way. Stag Mag in the neck and Screaming demon for the bridge

http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/sun-valley-super-shredder

HAMERMAN409

Quote from: ChrisX on November 07, 2017, 06:24:23 AM

Good call on the Schecter.

If you are OK with older and  used a Fender "HM Strat" is also an option.

DutchGuitarDude

I have the ms3 for 2 weeks now. I tried it with 4cm with my amp1. It noticed a tonal change. Only in the loop of the amp1 it's fine. Anyone noticed this too?

visiondesign

I use the MS3 with my Friedman Runt 20 with channel switching. It has been working fine and has now all of the sudden stopped working. Ive tried the MS3 with a couple different amps with no luck so the switching issue is within the MS3. Not sure if this happened after an update to the unit or not. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Is there a possible workaround / reset that may exist that anyone knows of? Thanx!

admin

Register your Product

then login to your "BACKSTAGE ACCOUNT" and create a Service request for help

https://www.roland.com/backstage/#/login?redirect=%2Fsupport#service_request