Questions about a Looping Setup & Ableton

Started by BobbyD, July 21, 2015, 03:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyD

Hello Friends,

I have been using Ableton and enjoying the heck out of this software and want to use it for a solo project I want to put together.  My main Controller is my Godin Montreal with built in Fishman Triple Play.  It's amazing how well it tracks, the low latenecy, and the insane sounds I can get when using software like Omnisphere 2.  I want to start doing solo gigs with Ableton and realize that Ableton has a built in looper as well.  I have the Keith MnMillen Soft Step 2 and 12 step pedals to I have many options to use.  I also have Push and APC-40 Mkii.

My first question is besides my laptop, I obviously need a small PA for output of laptop.   What would I use for the analog pickups?  Would I need a small 15 watt tube amp or would I be better off also using the PA and software like Guitar Rig to get different classic guitar sounds?  If I did use Guitar Rig, can a midi foot controller like the Soft Step 2 controller be used like a pedal board to change patches inside Guitar Rig?  Or does using a small tube amp make more sense?

I also want to build a rig that uses the Roland RC-300 as the hub.  I would want the ability to lay down drum loops using some type of external drum machine that allows you to use your hands to play pads for the drum sounds, not an actual drum machine with pre recorded loops. I like the organic workflow of playing drums.  What seems to be the best product on the market that would fit this need?  Are there any other hardware products that play nice with the RC-300?  I am fascinated with looping and want to have this type of setup as well.  I would love to be able to integrate Ableton into this setup if possible, only because it would allow me to use my GODIN guitar to access all the amazing sounds found inside my DAW.  I do realize that I do not need Ableton to use Triple play because it's also a stand alone app or whatever the term is, but Omnisphere 2 and Trillian can nor run in stand alone mode and have to be opened inside the DAW.  I tried not to make these questions confusing and hope there are a few folks on this site that understand what I am trying to accomplish, and maybe even use a similiar setup. 

I believe the RC-300 is the king of loopers and if there is a newer model or a different looper or any type of configuration that works real nice,  I would love to hear about the setup.  I did see the Roland Splicing looping pedal  and was wondering is that a piece of gear that works well with the RC-300.

Todays my B-day so I have to buy myself some piece of gear.  Maybe a pack of guitar picks will suffice.

Elantric

I would suggest invest in a quality Audio Interface (Focusrite) and learn to use the excellent looper in Ableton with the KMI SoftStep

aliensporebomb

Forrest "Fuzz" Roush (a sometime user here) is doing an act that is him on a Strat with GK3, Laptop with Ableton and Looper and has talked about doing some kind of tuition for people wanting to learn that type of setup.  He's based out of Seattle these days but you might ask him about his rig, it's pretty amazing.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.