GR-55 - Writers Challenge: Preset Bank 2

Started by DreamTheory, July 03, 2015, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

July's Challenge:
SUBJECT    GR-55 - Writers Challenge: Preset Bank 2

The Challenge:

1.  One or more of the three factory preset patches must be used.

2.  It can be modified but must retain at least 1 of the original PCM tones -but that tone can be modified thru it's parameters.

3.  Drum/percussion tracks, if desired, may be used from any source in the recording. Other instrumentation (such as bass part or synth pads) is also OK, but should be part of your patch modification (hint: use an assign to switch on the tone you need).

4. Please post a copyright free MP3. 3 1/2 minutes or less should be plenty.

MONTH OF JULY 2015 CATEGORIES:
==========================
LEAD:     patch 02-1 Nice Tenor (Sax 407)
RHYTHM: patch 02-2 Flute Solo (Flute 393)
OTHER:   patch 02-3 Jazz Guitar )Vibe Mallet 143 Mallet 142 E.GTR 10)

If these guidelines seem too strict, feel free to break the rules, but let us know what you did, so we can learn with you.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Mrchevy

Are we doing BANKS or the second PATCHES of the first bank. The first challenge for June was (Bank 1-LEAD, RHYTHM, OTHER- PATCH 1 of each). Shouldn't it be PATCH 2 of each in bank 1 for July? Just want to clarify how we are going to progress thru the banks and patches. I had posted the challenge for July thinking we were going on to the 2nd set of patches in the 1st bank.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

DreamTheory

electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

sloopdawg

Elantric

DreamTheory

Quote from: sloopdawg on July 08, 2015, 04:34:11 PM
Where can we listen to your results?
See Elantric's reply.

I just wanted to say that we are just getting started on this journey, so we have not accumulated tons of material. The idea is not so much a talent show thing as it is to stretch your imagination into new territories and to hopefully get some kind of documentation of how these sounds actually sound. If you guys are like me there are at any minute a dozen projects of my own and and another dozen I am helping someone with at any given moment, so we are pacing this writer's challenge at a steady one per month rate. If several people join in, we can get a nice library of demos. So jump in and make us a track, or just come back for a listen once in a while, as Boston used to sing "Come on let us give your mind a ride."

creart

If I understood correctly, we were to use bank2, patch 1 of Lead, Rhythm & Other...
that would be Nice Tenor, Rich Strings and Seq*Tempo Dly+EG
I used all sounds to create this track...
I used the Rich Strings & Seq*Tempo to do sort of bass tracks...
The Nice Tenor to do the sax and the Seq*Tempo with pedal up for guitar melodies and a mix of strings and Seq*Tempo to do backing tracks...
Drums is Logic ProX...

Hope you like it!!

Ps - only changes in sounds were modified echoes of melody sounds and tuned down strings for the bass...

DreamTheory

I did the July challenge using "Double Flat and Heavy" - here is my humble offering

notes on this patch
- This patch is so ridiculously huge I did not add bass or anything else but drums
- I felt that the patch is not very dynamic at all, it is just plain LOUD. So I tried some muting, and even experimented with some voice leading chords for a bit of harmony. This patch will pretty much make you play metal that goes chug-chug-chug.
- This was a fun excursion for me, since I do not usually play metal type music. The point of the challenge is to get out of your comfort zone and try something different. I hope you can hear the humor in this piece, I was not serious at all! I was going for "Spinal Tap" with no disrespect to metal guys- you have skills I will never attain! Even this little joke totally schooled me.
- This patch combines sounds that trigger slightly differently. I think the PCM tones a have just a bit of latency. I found that disorienting for the precise, fast work. So I did not even try to get the sync perfect.
- There is very little layering done on this- the patch already has thick layers. Only in two spots did I overdub a second part.
- I was thinking of Al DiMeola's "Dinner Music of the God's" and Steve Vai's "Flexible Leftover's" and my son's garage band

creart: I think I have gotten confused between patches and banks, and we will definitely get it together for the August challenge. As Maxwell Smart used to say, "Sorry about that, Chief." No worries- we were gonna get to that patch anyway. Great job! I love the deep lush delays.

creart

No worries Dream_Theory... I'll give the new one a go one of these days and maybe will do this one as well...
You must have had fun putting all that Scrap Metal together :-)
Maxwell Smart - geez - was that a quote from the original Get Smart series??? That's ages ago.. :-)
And ya - in a couple of months my track will be on spot :-)

cheers
Hans