Which one is better - Piezo or Magnetic hex PU?

Started by fredo, March 24, 2008, 12:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockmancentralbob

Quote from: philjynx on April 14, 2021, 03:00:35 PM

3D printers give off toxic fumes.

Move the printer.

Thanks for the heads up....
I talked with him about it and apparently he's using PLA filament, which is supposed to be non toxic.
The ABS stuff, on the other hand, not good.

philjynx

Quote from: rockmancentralbob on April 14, 2021, 03:40:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up....
I talked with him about it and apparently he's using PLA filament, which is supposed to be non toxic.
The ABS stuff, on the other hand, not good.

PLA is edible. True. Non toxic? Not clearly determined.

I was under the impression that the filament run through a printer ended up on the print bed.

This is not entirely true.

SOME of it becomes airborne particles.

This i did not know.

I only became aware of this AFTER developing respiratory problems initially (wrongly) diagnosed as asthma.

My printers are now OctoPrint driven WiFi network printers in a separate building (shed).

Sorry to derail the thread but I'd be selfish if i didn't share my concern.

I've had nearly two years of ill health which I ascribe to my lack of information about the hazards of hot plastic.

rockmancentralbob

Thanks guys, I (pre)ordered 3 Internal GK Kits from Andertons last night.... came out to $330.

So now I just have to figure out how to get them all mounted.
I'm guessing the Gibson and Epi Les Paul's can probably just use the bracket that came with the GK-3 External kit?
I only have one of those so I'll have to try to find another one.
Either that or I imagine there is a modified pickup ring out there that I can use.

The PRS will probably take some thought since it is definitely tight.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.... I'm sure I'll figure something out.

So now I'm just waiting for Stetsbar to get their inventory replenished so I can add them to the Les Paul's.
Either that or I'll go with the Floyd Rose FRX..... not sure which is better but it seems like the Stetsbar is a solid design.

admin

So now I'm just waiting for Stetsbar to get their inventory replenished so I can add them to the Les Paul's.
Either that or I'll go with the Floyd Rose FRX..... not sure which is better but it seems like the Stetsbar is a solid desig

FWIW -Ive tried all those,  and happiest with the Deusenberg/Rockinger Les Trem II.

Aka Göldo TLT1N Les Trem, G-Style Tremolo

Easiest to revert to stock too

Les Trem II Works best on a sloppy pivoting Epi Bridge

Problem with Stetsbar was it never returned to zero and the Trem Bar  action was a bit too loose, impossible for subtle tremolos

Also it does not fit many guitars (will not work on SG, end up with very high action even when Stetsbar bridge  is set on lowest setting.
Works better on Les Paul with tall Bridge area

The Floyd FRX  is a bit fierce and tough to install, but probably better than than the stetsbar 

rockmancentralbob

Quote from: admin on April 15, 2021, 08:16:57 AM
FWIW -Ive tried all those,  and happiest with the Deusenberg/Rockinger Les Trem II.

Aka Göldo TLT1N Les Trem, G-Style Tremolo

Easiest to revert to stock too

Work best on a sloppy pivoting Epi Bridge

Problem with Stetsbar was it never returned to zero and the Trem Bar  action was a bit too loose, impossible for subtle tremolos

The Floyd FRX  is a bit fierce and tough to install, but probably better than than the stetsbar

Thanks for the input.  I know Eric at Stetsbar said he's making them in the US again with some design changes.  I've heard earlier versions had some issues but that most of that was worked out over the years.  How long ago did you try the Stetsbar?

admin

Quote from: rockmancentralbob on April 15, 2021, 08:28:25 AM
Thanks for the input.  I know Eric at Stetsbar said he's making them in the US again with some design changes.  I've heard earlier versions had some issues but that most of that was worked out over the years.  How long ago did you try the Stetsbar?

8 years ago

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10208.msg82180#msg82180

QuoteI'm on the fence with the stetsbar.

* It impacts the tone and sustain in a negative manner.

* Its almost "too fiddly" with a too easy to use  / zero feedback torque whammy arm.

It typically makes the bridge sit too tall off the front of the guitar, and requires much work to get the action set correctly.

I Think I will remove it, and use a Les Trem instead. I have a Les Trem on a ES335 copy and it works very well.

Although the  Les Trem's seem to have gone up in price in the past 7 years ( I paid $85 for mine back 2008)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ABM-5600-C-Les-Tremolo-For-Gibson-Tailpiece-CHROME-/390363791622

rockmancentralbob

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Deusenberg/Rockinger Les Trem II can do much of a divebomb...... maybe a step and a half is all.
I don't do a lot of divebombs, but there are a few places where I need to be able to do that.
Not a fan of having to use an allen wrench to take the bar off either, though the Stetsbar probably requires that too.

The Floyd Rose FRX is a no-go on my Collectors Choice #10 because the neck pitch is 14 degrees, and they say anything less than 17 degrees requires modification to the guitar.
Also wouldn't want to put 2 screws in the headstock to hold the locking nut, though I guess I could forgo that.
Could be an option for the Epi though.

admin

Quote from: rockmancentralbob on April 15, 2021, 09:12:40 AM
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Deusenberg/Rockinger Les Trem II can do much of a divebomb...... maybe a step and a half is all.
I don't do a lot of divebombs, but there are a few places where I need to be able to do that.
Not a fan of having to use an allen wrench to take the bar off either, though the Stetsbar probably requires that too.

The Floyd Rose FRX is a no-go on my Collectors Choice #10 because the neck pitch is 14 degrees, and they say anything less than 17 degrees requires modification to the guitar.
Also wouldn't want to put 2 screws in the headstock to hold the locking nut, though I guess I could forgo that.
Could be an option for the Epi though.

Left field and unobtainable-the 2020 Fender Jazzmaster American Professional II has a new design Panorama bridge which gets close to divebomb

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/jazzmaster/american-professional-ii-jazzmaster/0113970700.html

But probably too severe to install on a gibson

rockmancentralbob

FWIW, here's a video on changes made to the Stetsbar back in 2016 (so, after the model you tried).
Looks like he may have addressed some of the issues you mentioned.

Also, here's a demo video of some pretty intense dive bombing and such, and it seems to stay in tune VERY well.

And like I said, Eric said he's made some more improvements on the latest design, which should be out in a few weeks.

admin

Quote from: rockmancentralbob on April 15, 2021, 09:41:56 AM
FWIW, here's a video on changes made to the Stetsbar back in 2016 (so, after the model you tried).
Looks like he may have addressed some of the issues you mentioned.

Also, here's a demo video of some pretty intense dive bombing and such, and it seems to stay in tune VERY well.

And like I said, Eric said he's made some more improvements on the latest design, which should be out in a few weeks.
Ask if he accepts trade ins of 2010 generation ? :
;)

rockmancentralbob

Quote from: admin on April 15, 2021, 09:49:28 AM
Ask if he accepts trade ins of 2010 generation ? :
;)

Just sell it and use the money to buy the newer model!  ;)

It's possible that some of the issues you had might have been addressed with some minor changes to the unit.
IE- The bearings could have had something to do with the height issues (he notes that the new ones are half the diameter).
He might provide the newer bearings to address that.

Seriously though, I would just call him or shoot him an email and describe the issues you had with it and see if any of them can be rectified on the model you have.
It's his design and I got the impression that it's a labor of love.
Most people like that take pride in their work and are willing to help out if you approach them, not as complaining about it, but trying to figure out how to make it work for your needs.
Worth a shot!!

email: info@stetsbar.com
telephone: 1-716-675-0009

rockmancentralbob

BTW, make sure you tell him who you are on the forum.... obviously not in an arrogant way, but just let him know that you are an admin on a very large forum and that's how you heard about his new design.... nice way to lead in to it!

Your position here, arguably as an influencer, carries a lot of weight in the community.
Good (or bad) "press" from someone like you can help or hurt his sales.
I don't think it's inappropriate to see if he can help you out, especially if it really doesn't cost him much, to "make things right" and gives you a warm/fuzzy about his business/product.
I think that could be a win-win!

rockmancentralbob

I've decided to cancel my order for the 3 Internal GK kits from Andertons for now.
Instead, I'm going to try to put a Roland GK Mount V2 on each of my guitars and see how much of a PITA it is to just move the External GK from guitar to guitar.

http://www.ntx9design.com/roland-gk-mount.html

If it works, it'll save me almost $300.
I figure I won't be going from guitar to guitar much anyway, so maybe it won't be a big deal.
It'll also give me enough time to figure out how much I like/use the GP-10.
I can always add the internal kits later should I decide.

BTW, I tried to get a quote from Primova sound for a GK cable, but I guess he must be busy because I haven't gotten a response yet.

admin

Quote from: rockmancentralbob on April 16, 2021, 12:25:29 PM

BTW, I tried to get a quote from Primova sound for a GK cable, but I guess he must be busy because I haven't gotten a response yet.

PM Codesmart
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=6365

shannonrichards

Quote from: fredo on March 24, 2008, 12:36:34 PMHi all,

Those of you who own both a GK-2/3 and an Piezo (RMC or Graphtech) equipped guitar, how would you compare them ?

I now have both a Godin LGXT (with RMC) and an Hagstrom Ultra Swede with a GK-Kit (https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=572.0 ). I made some A/B compare this afternoon, and to me, there is no room for debate : the GK-Kit does the job way better...
Acoustics are more realistic (which is strange since piezo usually give a more acoustic sound, but I guess it is all about how it is used by the VG to re-model the sound); distorted sounds seem sharper and brighter, with no palm muting issues; and GR 300 sounds become usable !...
And just in case you wonder, yes I have 1.04 firmware installed and used Piezo-R setting for the Godin ;-)

I am about to GK-Ready my Parker Nitefly M, and was wondering whether to install a GK-Kit or a Graphtech Ghost System... OK GK-Kit is uglier, it also is much cheaper (119 euros here in Europe, compared to 260 euros for the Graphtech Hexpander without saddles and acoustic preamp).

What do you guys think ?!

Fredo.

Correct me if I am wrong but magnetic ones are supposed to have better accuracy. I am not sure if they work in the same way as mics does.

gumtown

Quote from: shannonrichards on December 07, 2023, 04:07:23 AMCorrect me if I am wrong but magnetic ones are supposed to have better accuracy. I am not sure if they work in the same way as mics does.

The pickup type itself does not determine accuracy, they merely send a hexaphonic analog signal sent to the processing unit for conversion.
Any type of pickup can produce poor results if installed or setup incorrectly.
The magnetic type tend to send a 'cleaner' signal (wax potted coils for even better results),
 where piezo, being more acoustic based, is slightly contaminated with cross-talk from other strings and surface acoustic guitar body noise
 (the LOW FREQUENCY acoustic resonance bleeds to the other piezo saddles but can be fixed to some degree with a hex high pass filter).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

shannonrichards

T
Quote from: gumtown on December 07, 2023, 02:16:45 PMThe pickup type itself does not determine accuracy, they merely send a hexaphonic analog signal sent to the processing unit for conversion.
Any type of pickup can produce poor results if installed or setup incorrectly.
The magnetic type tend to send a 'cleaner' signal (wax potted coils for even better results),
 where piezo, being more acoustic based, is slightly contaminated with cross-talk from other strings and surface acoustic guitar body noise
 (the LOW FREQUENCY acoustic resonance bleeds to the other piezo saddles but can be fixed to some degree with a hex high pass filter).

Thank you for pointing that out.