GP-10 Output Settings

Started by Gaul88, February 18, 2015, 08:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaul88

Hi there.

The Information about the Output Settings for GP-10 is a "little bit poor".

I've bought the very new AMP1 from BluGuitar and want to connect the Input of the amp to the output of GP-10.
What is the right setting: "small amp" or "stack amp". Whats the differences between all the available Options?

Thank you!

Elantric

The older Roland documentation goes into much deeper details on the features of the typical Roland COSM DSP Modeling products
Suggest read the Roland VG-88 Owners manual for details on connected amp types. Typcially a closed back speaker cab will have more bass response than an open back speaker cab
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10981.0;attach=9043
Specifying the Output System (Sys: Output)
Choose "Sys: Output," and specify the device (amp) that's connected to the OUTPUT
jacks.
Sys:Output
LINE/PHONES
* If headphones are connected, this will automatically be "LINE/PHONES" regardless
of the Output setting.
Value Explanation
LINE/PHONES This is the appropriate setting when using headphones, or for when the
GP-10 is connected to a keyboard amp, mixer, or digital recorder.
JC-120 Choose this setting if the GP-10 is connected to the guitar input of a Roland
JC-120 guitar amp.
SMALL AMP Choose this setting if the GP-10 is connected to a small guitar amp.
COMBO AMP
Choose this setting if the GP-10 is connected to the guitar input of a combotype
guitar amp (i.e., an amp that contains the amp and speaker in a single
unit) other than the JC-120. Depending on the guitar amp you're using,
using the "JC-120" setting might produce better results.
STACK AMP
Choose this setting if the GP-10 is connected to the guitar input of a stacktype
guitar amp (i.e., an amp in which the amp and speaker are separate
units).
JC-120 RETURN Choose this setting if the GP-10 is connected to the JC-120's RETURN jack.
COMBO RETURN Choose this setting if the GP-10 is connected to the RETURN jack of a combotype
guitar amp.
STACK RETURN
Choose this setting if the GP-10 is connected to the RETURN jack of a stacktype
guitar amp. You should also choose the "STACK RETURN" setting when
using the GP-10 with a guitar power amp and a speaker cabinet.

QuoteI've bought the very new AMP1 from BluGuitar and want to connect the Input of the amp to the output of GP-10.
http://www.bluguitar.com/english/AMP1.html

Seems very redundant to me - I'd wager the Amp sims in the Boss GP-10 are equal or superior to those inside  the BlueGuitar AMP1 

But Id start with the GP-10 Output System set to "Small Amp" for use with the BlueGuitar AMP1

Suggest read

Boss GP-10 F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11796.msg85343#msg85343

* Best Amplifier recommendations for Guitar Synth / Modeling systems
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9484.msg68273#msg68273

mbenigni

QuoteSeems very redundant to me - I'd wager the Amp sims in the Boss GP-10 are equal or superior to those inside  the BlueGuitar AMP1 

I agree about the redundancy, but the quality of amp sims is debatable.  I imagine the GP-10 is much more versatile, but the AMP1 looks more like a traditional multi-channel amp, including power amp.  So kind of apples and oranges.  I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with the design, in terms of just good common sense features, form-factor, extensibility...  Good controls, FX loop (selectable as parallel or serial), MIDI on a single 1/4" cable (WHY isn't this more common??), optional breakout box for integrating external stomps with presets... just lots and lots of good ideas in one small package.  If I were starting from scratch this would be on my short list of products to look at right now, but I'm pretty invested in the Kemper thing at the moment.  Of course, the AMP1 isn't available in the U.S. yet either.

To the original question:  the output settings are changes to EQ to compensate for amplification and speakers "downstream".  If you intend to use the GP-10 for instrument modeling and effects, and then use the AMP1 for your amp tones, I'd recommend setting up the GP-10 to be as flat as possible, i.e. use the Line Out/ PA setting.

Elantric

The crucial element is disable the COSM AMP Modeling on the GP-10, remove any connection from the GP-10's Phones Jack and feed the AMP1 a signal which lacks the GP-10's COSM DSP Amp Emulation.
Setting the GP-10 to "Line-out /PA" will color the sound being fed to the AMP1  - highly suggest try each of these GP-10 Output modes until you find one you prefer when working with the AMP1.

Boss GP-10 Output Modes for use with external Guitar Amp
* SMALL AMP
* COMBO AMP
* STACK AMP

mbenigni

Yes, you'll typically want to turn off the COSM amp sims on the patches you intend to run into the AMP1.

Steve, I'm surprised to hear that the Line Out setting would color the GP-10 output.  I thought this was the flattest of the settings, whereas amp-specific settings hype highs in order to compensate for speaker roll-off, etc. (which would in turn be redundant with the AMP1 and speaker cabinet.)

Elantric

QuoteSteve, I'm surprised to hear that the Line Out setting would color the GP-10 output.  I thought this was the flattest of the settings, whereas amp-specific settings hype highs in order to compensate for speaker roll-off, etc. (which would in turn be redundant with the AMP1 and speaker cabinet.)

Its simple to test using any Real Time analyzer  - I have several on my Iphone / Ipad

The "LINE/PHONES" Setting always applies a bandpass filter to the output signal of the VG/GR/GP device - to make the signal  more pleasant when feeding flat response amplifiers and Headphones.

You want to avoid using "LINE/PHONES" setting when feeding a normal guitar amp   

mbenigni

Gaul88

Thanx to all.

The AMP1 isn't an amp simulator. It is a real full analog AMP with a small tube called nanotube inside.

Of course I disable any amp-simulation in GP-10, but I still can use the modelling features and some of the stomps, so I think it is a good idea to place the AMP1 behind the normal output of GP-10. Another option is to connet AMP1 to the "guitar out".

mbenigni

QuoteAnother option is to connet AMP1 to the "guitar out".

I could be mistaken (again) but I'm pretty sure the GP-10's Guitar Out jack only carries direct signal from your magnetic pickups - no COSM modeling, no effects, no altered tunings, etc.  So you'll probably want to use the GP-10's L/Mono output instead.

Post a review of the AMP1 when you get it.  It sounds really cool!

Gaul88

Sure: Guitar Out is the clean guitar-signal from - like a bypass. An option for my setting is to split the signal in 2 channels: clean via AMP1 and the GP-10 modified (stereo) and mix the signals in the DAW together.

Lots of reviews, videos an so on, regarding AMP1, you'll find at:
http://www.bluguitar.com/english/feedback.html

mbenigni

QuoteSure: Guitar Out is the clean guitar-signal from - like a bypass. An option for my setting is to split the signal in 2 channels: clean via AMP1 and the GP-10 modified (stereo) and mix the signals in the DAW together.

Ah, yes, that will work of course.  I just assumed you'd want the flexibility of passing GP-10 COSM guitars etc to the AMP1.  But yeah, plenty of ways to skin the cat.

QuoteToo bad its not distributed over here in USA

Not yet anyway.  Maybe if it does well they'll open up some US channels later this year.  Or maybe someone like Thomann in the UK will have some import options.

abhijitnath

Quote from: Elantric on February 18, 2015, 10:14:54 AM
Its simple to test using any Real Time analyzer  - I have several on my Iphone / Ipad

The "LINE/PHONES" Setting always applies a bandpass filter to the output signal of the VG/GR/GP device - to make the signal  more pleasant when feeding flat response amplifiers and Headphones.

You want to avoid using "LINE/PHONES" setting when feeding a normal guitar amp   

What if I'm processing an acoustic tone of some sort, say Autana's nylon strings, and only using the reverbs in a Kemper or Axe FX? Would one use an amp setting there too?

whippinpost91850

There are some very nice profiles of acoustic amps and mixing console channels and preamps on the Kemper rig exchange. I'm at work so can't give you any examples at the moment

admin

Acoustic tones use Clean full range amp - leave GP-10 output mode on Line /Phones

abhijitnath

Thanks whippingpost & admsustainiac. Something feels weird- technically there should be no difference between the output I choose if I'm not using any of the amps in the GP-10, right? I should choose line/phones whether I want the output to sound like an acoustic guitar output or a magnetic pickup, because I want a flat output. The prevailing wisdom seems to suggest that my options would change on a per patch basis..

whippinpost91850

No leave output on line/phones. For the most accurate sound you want to use a Full Range/Flat Response powered speaker.