GP-10 vs Kemper, who would have thought!!!!!

Started by Panthersn, December 06, 2014, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteWho ever wrote this is a complete ass****!

I was referring to the idiots choice of words.
Had to be a moron.

A recent selfie

Bill Ruppert

That is Chatter the Monkey!!!!!!
Used to be my favorite show as a kid!

Panthersn

Quote from: vablows on December 07, 2014, 10:29:37 AM
But Michael Britt's rig packs and you will never sell the Kemper!

Great Call!!!!!!!!!! Just downloaded Pack 1 & 2.  Awesome, digging the Little Walter.

Elantric

Damn wheres the thumbs-up smiley

Its buried as a drop down from that icon on the left of the thread topic text

whippinpost91850

Bill Ruppert

l
Quote from:  whippinpost91850 on December 07, 2014, 05:32:57 PM
Bill, do you know if you can store, a multi effects set-up. Like store an A-B-C-D, with given effects as a preset.

Well that would be best saved a general preset or better yet to store that set up as a snapshot.
Then to get to that effect set up just hit the Quick button and see your snapshots.
Thats what do so I dont have to scroll through 2000 presets to find my main working setups.
I have like 30 snapshots I use all the time.

Bill Ruppert

Christoph is a friend of mine and a GREAT guy. So smart its scary.
I will talk with him at Namm, I know he would dig it. Maybe something simple if you think it would help guys out.
He ask a while back but I have been working on EHX work.

Quote from:  Elantric on December 07, 2014, 05:34:35 PM
Chris needs to hire you to do a series of KPA tutorial videos.

Anytime I try to search youtube for a KPA tutorial, all I get is "Radio Ola Englund"

FrugalGuitarist

I had the Kemper and sold it due mostly to monetary reasons. A few things worth consideration:

1. The user profiles are a pretty much a complete waste of time. There are a handful of very good factory presets but they do need to be customized and the Kemper is a different animal than most MFX. Sometimes you have to think outside the box for the best results. Well worth paying for profiles from the Amp Factory if you are a Kemper user. With the right profiles the realism from the Kemper was unmatched IME, and I've owned nearly everything under the sun except the 11r and AxeFX.

2. It is extremely intuitive once you learn it and very flexible from an effects chain perspective. However, there were missing a few key effects which I needed.

3. A small but very vocal portion of the user base on the KPA boards was one of the nit-pickiest group of guitarists I've ever had the displeasure of associating with. Hanging out there at times you would think the KPA was the crappiest piece of gear ever created. It was like being on a sports forum where fans constantly hate on a team with a winning record. And yet many of them went out of their way to troll other forums to attack users of other MFX (mostly the AxeFX).

Toby Krebs

I need a break from computer interfacing/ usb cables / menus/ sub menus/ sub samwitches / sardine cans/ boot up restart crashing etc....

so I bought this.
sounds good
works when I need it too
point and shoot
EZ PZ!

Gearhead

I always wonder why guitarists complain about the price point of a Kemper or an Axe-Fx. I have been using the Axe-Fx for the last six years and with FW 17 on the Axe-Fx II it's one serious piece of heaven.
The Axe-Fx II plus MIDI-controller is as much as a real good tube amp (and I used to have three!!). It even spared me money!
I've never looked back - as much as I like the GP-10 IMHO it's not even in the same ballpark as the Axe-Fx ( and no: I'm not your typical fanboy).

supernicd

Allow me to instead complain about the cost of tube amps.  There has got to be some serious margin on those.  :)
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

Quoteas much as I like the GP-10 IMHO it's not even in the same ballpark as the Axe-Fx ( and no: I'm not your typical fanboy).

Agreed!

Nobody here is saying or even suggesting the GP-10 sounds Better than an either Axe-FX or Kemper and replaces those  systems.

Both Fractal and Kemper would have major problems if that was true.  And everyone would have perfect right to call me an Idiot if they hear me say such a thing.

But I will say I can use a GP-10 for my current gig needs and be happy 

whippinpost91850

Hmmmmm! Except for one or two bad eggs , I find the KPA forum to be allmost as "civel" as this one. Which is a real rarity

Elantric

I want to design a line of headphones where the cable emerges on the right side - not the Left side

I'm always getting caught up in the Headphone cord on the left on all my headphones

Panthersn

I should have omitted the "VS" in my thread  :-\.  The point was how good the GP-10 is, not the KPA is Bad, I do like My Kemper.   The GP-10 is awesome if you don't want to drop $1,800 on a processor.   Attached are the Custom Patches I was talking about:

vablows

Those sound good, but still have that "soft" feel to the gain that is the difference to me why I can't part with my Kemper.
I tried to use the cosm in my GR-55, but just night and day and was never happy.
The 10 sounds better, but still nowhere close to my ears.
Trust me, I REALLY wanted to be able to go this route as it would be easier (and a lot cheaper) for me but I will wait until the next Roland rollout
and hopefully soon it will happen where we get the GR-55 with better cosm and ftp-like tracking in the all-in-one box.

Panthersn

Quote from: vablows on December 13, 2014, 10:40:37 AM
Those sound good, but still have that "soft" feel to the gain that is the difference to me why I can't part with my Kemper.
I tried to use the cosm in my GR-55, but just night and day and was never happy.
The 10 sounds better, but still nowhere close to my ears.
Trust me, I REALLY wanted to be able to go this route as it would be easier (and a lot cheaper) for me but I will wait until the next Roland rollout
and hopefully soon it will happen where we get the GR-55 with better cosm and ftp-like tracking in the all-in-one box.

I hear ya!  Hopefully they will decide to firmware update those features instead of coming out with a new platform.  That being said I would bet on a new platform, they stand to make more $$$$$.

Radley

The Kemper is a very deep platform for great guitar tones...

reingarnichts

First of all: I never played a Kemper, but I once heard a guitarist playing one. Sounded ok, but the music was crap ;)
I played the same evening, the same stage with my GP10 and didn't feel like my sound was lacking or something, but then again: it's all about the context - it really works for me and I can get a lot of nice sounds out of that tiny box.
A friend of mine loves his big, heavy marshall and would never replace it with something else. He is a great guitarist, but has a totally different style than me - it works for him, I would get crazy with all that weight to carry (and that crappy Marshall-Sound, ha ;) ).

I think it really depends on the player. I love my GP10 because of it's small footprint,the nice amp models, the connectivity and the GR300, I sometimes hate it for it's lack of on-stage-tweakability (this forces me to use external delay and modulation pedals for my improv projects).
I had an ME70 before and played it through a Fender Hot Rod, now I'm playing a GP10 right through the PA and it is a huge improvement (at least for me). 

I would love to try a Kemper, but well, I'm currently playing in multiple projects in different rehearsal spaces and really need to be able to carry my gear from A to B, so nope, this wouldn't work ;)

aliensporebomb

I realized that a lot of it is down to the player in question: for example: Bill Ruppert's Kemper demos he did were just as good as his VG-99, GP-10 and GR-55 demos - they weren't really "demos" because that does them a disservice but good pieces of music in general and then I realized it's just that he's a great musician and would sound good on anything he played.   Or check out Pete Thorn's demos on youtube - when he demos a product he finds a way to write a piece of music using it instead of just a wild lead tone and a bunch of fast licks or flavor of the day power chords.

I do find that there are some guys who have used the same gear for many years and know the ins and outs of say a particular Marshall "at 7.5 on the master gain it hits the sweet spot with the tone levels at just this certain position". 

I've checked out certain GP-10 presets and they seem to sound better than the box should really be able to provide.  That's called maximizing the hardware and finding the "sweet spot" for that particular piece of gear.  I created a "overdrive guitar" patch recently that is as dynamic as some of my tube gear.  I just added a few things I liked to it and I use it quite a bit.  And it works nice with both my regular pickups and my gk pickup.  Nothing wrong with that.

Do I want a Kemper?  Sure.  I just find that saving for the high dollar things takes twice as long to get as the things that are a little more reasonable and I tend to get more done with the things I have versus the things I don't have and am saving for.  I spend that time getting to know the sweet spots of the gear and next thing you know I have a little knowledge base on those things.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

DeRigueur

Hey aliensporebomb,
Would you mind posting your overdrive patch?
Thanks
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

alexmcginness

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on December 07, 2014, 06:02:52 PM
l
Well that would be best saved a general preset or better yet to store that set up as a snapshot.
Then to get to that effect set up just hit the Quick button and see your snapshots.
Thats what do so I dont have to scroll through 2000 presets to find my main working setups.
I have like 30 snapshots I use all the time.

Ive watched so many Electro Harmonix demos that Bill has produced that when I read one of his posts, Im reading it in his voice. Scary.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

admin

Quote from: DeRigueur on July 27, 2017, 09:04:54 AM
Hey aliensporebomb,
Would you mind posting your overdrive patch?
Thanks

Aliensporebomb has shared a few of his GP-10 patches recently

GP-10 - Pod's Lead Guitar
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21434.0

Best to review the GP-10 patch exchange area from time to time ( 9 pages worth )
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=151.0

carlb

Totally agree regarding the GP-10.

The GP-10 amps and overdrive/fuzz choices are definitely better than those that were in the preceding GR-55 and VG-99. They're good enough now to allow talented tweakers/players to dial-in the "sweet-spots" where patches respond great and have nearly as fun dynamics as tube amps.

Certainly capable enough to keep me from dreaming about what I could do with a Kemper or Fractal. Neither of those gives me the instrument choices that I get with the GP-10.

There's just a heck of a lot in the diminutive GP-10. For my live setup, I run one into a BBE Sonic Stomp. Really suggest trying that to any GP-10 owner.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

aliensporebomb

That patch I uploaded I've spent hours just riding the volume control going back and forth from clean to dirty and back and forth.  If you think there's too much reverb feel free to back it off.  I think it kind of sounds like an amp with the 'verb 3/4ths of the way up, just before it becomes too much.  For me anyway.

It's nice because you can play lightly and it's pretty clean then play a little harder and hear the breakup begin and then manhandle it a bit and it start to sing.

I've got two or three really nice VG-99 patches for distorted guitar that you can back off the gain on but it's not quite like this one (I think it's because the model in question doesn't exist there on the 99 but does here).  Just like the patch I created for the 99 "Jam Like Per" emulated a sound Per Haar did for the GR-55 but the humbucking only strat model doesn't exist on the 99 so I fudged it a bit since that model was using the bridge pickup after all.

Just imagine in 10 years what we will have access to (if the guitar is still "alive" then!)

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.