Line6 Sonic Port VX

Started by Elantric, September 07, 2014, 11:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippinpost91850

Just got the Sonic port VX and realized no MIDI.
Elantric how are you switching patches while using the VX. I was using an iRIG PRO

Elantric

QuoteElantric how are you switching patches while using the VX.

Yes - The Line-6 SonicPort lacks MIDI I/O

To overcome this, use the micro USB cable connection and a powered USB Hub + a separate third party USB <> MIDI Cable.

The Micro USB Cable that is included with all SonicPort VX's is poor quality - and typically does not work

Replace with a decent Micro USB Cable that is designed for Sync and charge  for Android Phones

Then you may use the SonicPort VX as a USB Class Compliant 24 bit audio Device with iPad  / iPhone + the Apple USB Camera Adapter + a Powered USB Hub.

I use a 7 port Powered USB Hub  and connect the   SonicPort VX + Fishman Tripleplay USB Receiver + Roland UM-One MK2 USB <> Cable, Arturia BeatStep  - all at once. ( Similar as I use my Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 on page #1 of this thread) 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.msg74428#msg74428

Of course in the above configuration with the Powered USB Hub , you can not charge the iPad  / iPhone during use - as you can when using the SonicPort VX with its Lightning Cable + Micro USB cable to a power source . I still use that USB Battery pack for lower Noise ( compared to using an AC Powered 2.1Amp USB Phone Charger.)   

QuoteElantric how are you switching patches while using the VX. I was using an iRIG PRO

For IOS Amp Sim  / song practice needs,  I'm using Yonac ToneStack bulk of the time these days ( has the Lowest Latency for me)  and simply change Yonac ToneStack patches / settings without MIDI  - just use the screen on my iPhone 6 Plus

Yonac just was updated this week with better live show controls and quick access to patches

whippinpost91850

Thanks, But how would you set up to use switch programs on Tonestack with MIDI in a live situation.
And do you plug the Sonicport VX into the USB camera adapter then into the iPad.
Do I have to buy a Apple USB camera adapter to plug in between the  SonicPort VX and the iPad. Somehow I feel like i'm missing something ???

Elantric

QuoteThanks, But how would you set up to use switch programs on Tonestack with MIDI in a live situation.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tonestack/id870269510?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
ON SALE! 75% OFF FOR A LIMITED TIME!
What's New in Version 1.4
• Lots of AWESOME new features for the inStudio 8 track recorder:
— You can now use up to four FX for each track as inserts!
— Use inserts to add FX during mixing, or to conveniently and non-destructively re-amp your existing tracks
— You can use any unlocked effect, amp or cabinet in ToneStack as an insert
— The user friendly UI allows you to easily add, reorder and remove inserts: and to view an effect's controls, just double tap its box on inStudio
— inStudio also introduces two sends, each with its own inserts, as well a separate master output with its own inserts group. Each track comes with variable Send 1 and Send 2 levels
— In addition, unlocking OnStage gives you two exclusive production-minded FX: Studio EQ, a high quality 5-band stereo equalizer, and Studio Compressor, a classic stereo dynamic compressor.

• OnStage is revamped: you can now create performance groups to organize your existing presets into folders for different situations. Each performance group gives you 128 pads to link your presets. In addition, you can reorder presets and more!
• You can now control OnStage via MIDI! Just go to Settings -> MIDI and specify whether you want MIDI program changes to be routed to OnStage or to the Preset Manager
• ALL distortions, fuzzes and overdrives have been gone over and fine-tuned. The lows/mids response is way more natural and the tones are even ballsier and more realistic.
• Implemented 100% silent preset switching
• Fully updated for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
• Many other improvements

QuoteDo I have to buy a Apple USB camera adapter to plug in between the  SonicPort VX and the iPad. Somehow I feel like i'm missing something

Start reading at the first post in this thread,

and re-read this post in entirety

IPad/iPhone 24 bit Audio / MIDI + FTP and more on Battery power
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.0

nervoteso

Quote from:  Elantric on February 03, 2015, 05:49:31 PM
T
Then you may use the SonicPort VX as a USB Class Compliant 24 bit audio Device with iPad  / iPhone + the Apple USB Camera Adapter + a Powered USB Hub.

hi

i've bought sonic port vx and i've some questions. i'm having some problems to use sonic port on ipad air. how to play guitar and sing in the same time? i've noticed if i set on sonic port guitar+mic, i listen to only my voice.  also guitar signal and vocals are very low.
also i've triple play + powered usb ub but if i connect sonic port + triple play usb it doesn0t work. i use a trust usb ub, which usb hub do you suggest me?
could you help me? thanks

Elantric

Quote've bought sonic port vx and i've some questions. i'm having some problems to use sonic port on ipad air. how to play guitar and sing in the same time? i've noticed if i set on sonic port guitar+mic, i listen to only my voice.  also guitar signal and vocals are very low.

Be sure you have set the proper recording channels in your DAW, and adjusted the built in Mic Gain Pot

* Be sure the Input Switch is set to the "Mono Microphone + Guitar in" position ( closest to Mic Gain pot)   
* In your Software:
       Input 1/L = Mic 
       Input 2/R = Guitar

Quotealso i've triple play + powered usb ub but if i connect sonic port + triple play usb it doesn0t work. i use a trust usb ub, which usb hub do you suggest me?

The Micro USB Cable that is included with all SonicPort VX's is poor quality - and typically does not work

Replace with a decent Micro USB Cable that is designed for Sync and charge  for Android Phones

A list of working USB Hubs us here:

Survey of USB Hubs
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10326.0

I use this one:

eForCity 7-Port USB Hub with Switches

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-7-Port-USB-Switch-Black/dp/B007S642BW/ref=pd_sim_e_1

7 port high speed USB 2.0 HUB
Data transfer rate: 1.5Mbps/12Mbps/up to 480Mbps

Bus-power limit current protection: 500mA
Interface: USB 2.0 Compatible with USB 1.1
Brand & Model:  eForCity 7-Port USB Hub with ON / OFF Switches

+

DC Coax plug to USB adapter cable to Power the eForcity 7 Port USB Hub
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Male-to-3-5mm-Barrel-Connector-Jack-5V-DC-Power-Cable-15-inch-Black-US-/360658147811

+
RAVPower® Element 10400mAh External Battery USB Portable Charger
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009V5X1CE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nervoteso

thanks for the info. is it possibile these sonic port recordings are lower then the recordings made with the built in mic of the iphone?

Elantric

Quotethanks for the info. is it possibile these sonic port recordings are lower then the recordings made with the built in mic of the iphone?

they should be similar  - provided you set the SonicPort VX Gain correctly and use an IOS app that provides controls for each channel ( Meteor Multitrack, Auria DAW, Cubasis, N-Track Studio, Yonac Tone Stack, etc

Remember the SonicPort VX also works with Macs and Windows PCs ( use the Line6 Sonicport VX ASIO Driver)  - which lets you use even  more advanced DAWs.

utensil

Hey Elantric, I've read your post on using a powered hub etc, but I've gotten pretty goo results using an UNpowered hub with my Irig HD and FTP at the same time. Any idea if the Sonic port VX would work with an unpowered hub or if I would have to go the powered and hence preferably battery way.

Elantric

I'll try, but I doubt the SonicPort VX will operate with FTP  using a non powered USB Hub.

utensil

I feared that but if you can confirm it would be much appreciated. The first unpowered hub (oddly a pricey one) disnt work but the second belkin on works very well, ive used an irig hd and fishman tripleplay with an ipad and iphone 6 plus for sessions well over an hour with no drop outs glitches etc , was planning to get the sonic port vx to replace the irig hd to incorporate the built in mic.

Elantric

I'll try to find time this week and report back

But I have iRig Pro (not HD), and i assume the iRig Pro draws more supply current (vs iRig HD) due to its included MIDI Input Interface 

utensil

I have a pro as well, I will test if it works the same as the Irig HD a little later today and let you know if both work the same for me.

whippinpost91850

Sadly,unless so one has a compelling argument, I'm returning my unopened Sonic Port vX because it has noMIDI and apparently offers nothing sonically better then my iRig pro
I have reviewed and reread all the posts concerning using an iPAd on stage and now can not find, other then the mics a reason to keep both. I just want to be able to have a quick and easy iPad , Bias-Jamup Pro or Tonestack, setup with a small MIDI pedal as a quick setup and backup for my Kemper.. Am I wrong???

Elantric

QuoteI'm returning my unopened Sonic Port vX because it has noMIDI and apparently offers nothing sonically better then my iRig pro

I've mocked up attempting to use iPad as a Guitar rig - or  an emergency live guitar rig - but for various reasons it fails ( Too much Latency (BIAS), too much lag  / gaps on patch change (Yonac ToneStack), not Stereo (Jamup Pro), etc)

With our Group buy the Boss GP-10 is a far more cost effective and far more capable  "emergency backup rig" ( I own two Boss GP-10's) compared to iPad+Low Latency guitar interface. I always carry a spare GP-10 and Godin with me if I'm playing a gig that night

But here is where the SonicPort VX shines over many competing systems

* Sonic Port VX has a very clean Stereo preamps, and very clean instrument Pre-amp  (iRig Pro is Mono only)

* Sonic Port VX  includes Multiple built in stereo / mono mics  - means Sonic Port VX + iPad +guitar is all I need for minimal grab and go rig for song writing or record acoustic guitars  / vocals at remote locations     (iRig Pro is Mono only , no built in mics)

* Sonic Port VX  has very clean Stereo Line TRS Input  -  - allows my iPad to record  Stereo Audio from the headphone jack of my iPhone at a remote location when cover tunes i need to learn for that week's gig are on YouTube , or record from other Stereo Line level sources. (iRig Pro is Mono only)

* Sonic Port VX  works well as a  Mac/Win low latency Core Audio/ASIO Audio interface too  (iRig Pro does not support Windows) )

* Sonic Port VX,  besides having a very clean Stereo A/D, it also includes a very capable D/A with both TRS Stereo Headphone Amp, and a pair of  balanced 1/4" TRS Output jacks that can drive powered Stereo speakers directly ( no need to use the iPhone/iPad Headphone jack )  (iRig Pro has no D/A - must use IPad Headphone out)

* Sonic Port VX  can be used with  iPad  / iPhone / iPod Touch  - even older 30 pin dock iPads, using optional 30 pin dock cable (buy it at FullCompass)
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/457008.html

* Sonic Port VX can charge the connected iPad/iPhone during use   (iRig Pro requires the separate purchase of the IK "PowerBridge )
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpowerbridge/

* Sonic Port VX  can be used as a USB Class Compliant Stereo  Audio Interface, and works with  Ipad + Powered USB Hub,  to support simultaneous use of Stereo Audio ( Sonic Port VX), Roland UM-One MKII USB <> MIDI Adapter, Fishman Tripleplay, Korg NanoKontrol)      - - (iRig Pro is Mono only)

whippinpost91850

Elantric, those are all very compelling arguements. Have you tried recording your band on an iPad using the stereo mics? And if so what recording App did you use. Thanks

Elantric

QuoteHave you tried recording your band on an iPad using the stereo mics?

Only rehearsal demos with my array of Stereo Audio Interfaces

Actually the Line6 Sonic Port VX Stereo mics yield lower noise recordings than my 24 bit Rode iXY Lightning Mic
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13273.msg96993#msg96993

QuoteAnd if so what recording App did you use.

Meteor MultiTrack

n-Track

Rode Rec

White REC

Auria DAW

Yonac ToneStack

whippinpost91850

Cool I just may keep it. It would be nice if Line6  would include a little more complete manual for us people that don't have a ton of exploratory time!

Elantric

whippinpost91850

thanks, I'm off tommorrow for 1st time in 2 weeks. And will watch these. I got an RA but Sweetwaters gonna give me a couple of days to make sure. Paul

whippinpost91850

I just got my replacement Sonic PortVX from Sweetwater . i plugged it into my iPad Air and tried Tonestack & Bias and still can't get a nice full guitar sound . I was even using my new  AT MT50x headphones. I must be doing something wrong but can't figure out what!
I could have swore I remember getting a great tone similar to my Kemper through headphones with my old iPad befor a update hurt it.
Question am I supposed to allow the  iPad mic to be used by Bias and Tonestack. I'm truly frustrated

bbob

Per Yonac Support FAQ's

http://www.yonac.com/support/

Please ensure that you allow that app to access the microphone on your device. To do this, go to the SETTINGS app, select PRIVACY, and then MICROPHONE. You should see the option to allow or deny the app access to the microphone.

whippinpost91850

Thanks bbob, I have allways given the microphone permissions, but was wondering if this was wrong. Gotta figure out why I cant get full rich sound out of Bias/Jamup pro and Tonestack

Elantric

On the Sonic Port VX, be sure the Direct  monitor  switch is Off,

and that the Sonic Port VX's Input Select Switch is in Guitar Mode.

On Sonic Port VX,  Feed the 1/4" Electric Guitar Input and monitor via headphones using the Sonic Port VX's 3.5mm TRS Headphone jack

FWIW - I'm still on I'm still on IOS 8.1.3  - and suggest skip  / avoid the IOS 8.2 update

whippinpost91850

Elantric , Ihave not done the latest update on my iPad Air.
I have been running all the switches and input and output just as you have noted, but niether Bias or Tonestack sound like full real amps. I gotta think I'm doing something wrong but for the life of me can not figure out what. It's the same with my iRig Pro. The only thing I have not done is try plugging ouput into my CLR. Hope to try that tommorrow. ???