Fender / Squier Bass VI

Started by gumtown, January 05, 2014, 07:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumbo

Quote from: gumtown on August 03, 2016, 03:46:42 AM
UPDATE:
Although the combination of the GK-3 (guitar) pickup and the GK-3B (bass) body (the wart) seemed to work well initially,
it has bugged me after some use, with having to adjust the GK setup sensitivity levels on the GR-55 right down to near nothing.
I conclude that the miss match of guitar and bass pickups does not work completely.
The guitar GK-3 pickup is high output with the GK unit set to a low gain,
and the GK-3B pickup is low output with the GK unit set to a higher gain.

I swapped out the GK-3B bass wart unit for the guitar GK-3 guitar one, which matches the installed pickup,
and the Bass VI works as it should with the GK setup sensitivity levels set around 60~70.
Mainly the PCM triggering is now more reliable and stable.

Hmmm...

Spare GK-3B bass wart, eh???

...where do I start the bidding??  I already have an unused bass pickup....    :-*
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

vanceg

gumtown

Quote from: gumbo on August 03, 2016, 04:14:58 AM

Hmmm...

Spare GK-3B bass wart, eh???

...where do I start the bidding??  I already have an unused bass pickup....    :-*
An unused GK bass pickup is what I need...  ;)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vanceg

Quote from: gumtown on August 03, 2016, 10:32:13 PM
An unused GK bass pickup is what I need...  ;)

I wonder how the CycFi NU pickups would work instead of the GKs?  Just a thought.

gumbo

Quote from: vanceg on August 04, 2016, 03:58:11 PM
I wonder how the CycFi NU pickups would work instead of the GKs?  Just a thought.

Ha!  I was waiting for your email...   ;D

Cheers,
Peter

chlorinemist

Quote from: vanceg on August 04, 2016, 03:58:11 PM

I don't any roland gear but the Nu and the VI are an awesome combo. I'm currently waiting on a replacement part but i will make demos when it's up and running. I was planning to use my fishman tripleplay with it but Elantric informed me the ftp doesnt work with bass so i might end up investing in a gr-55 or vg-99 after all... ive heard only positive reports about the nu and roland midi compatibility but i'd probably be the first person to try it on bass

vanceg

Note that the VG-99 basically doesn't track pitch below 3 half-steps below standard tuning.  So, the Low E string isn't going to track any note below a C# below the normal E.   
This will be an issue for any algorithm that tracks pitch on the VG-99 such as the Harmonizer (hex or standard), the Intelligent Ring Modulator, any of the PCM type sounds, etc.   All the modeling stuff will work, the standard effects will work, panning, un-intelligent pitch shifting will work pretty well... but you'll hear more glitches on those notes 3 half steps below normal tuning on each string.

This will also be the case for MIDI tracking...though I really never use pitch to MIDI on the VG-99

The VB-99 does a great job at those lower pitches and sounds fantastic on a Fender VI.

chlorinemist

Quote from: vanceg on July 09, 2017, 02:18:25 PM
Note that the VG-99 basically doesn't track pitch below 3 half-steps below standard tuning.  So, the Low E string isn't going to track any note below a C# below the normal E.   
This will be an issue for any algorithm that tracks pitch on the VG-99 such as the Harmonizer (hex or standard), the Intelligent Ring Modulator, any of the PCM type sounds, etc.   All the modeling stuff will work, the standard effects will work, panning, un-intelligent pitch shifting will work pretty well... but you'll hear more glitches on those notes 3 half steps below normal tuning on each string.

This will also be the case for MIDI tracking...though I really never use pitch to MIDI on the VG-99

The VB-99 does a great job at those lower pitches and sounds fantastic on a Fender VI.

Ah so same problem as the FTP.
So the VB99 works fine with 6 strings? It's not limited to 4?
Shame that the VB seems to be so much more expensive on the used market

admin

Quote from: chlorinemist on July 09, 2017, 02:28:25 PM
Ah so same problem as the FTP.
So the VB99 works fine with 6 strings? It's not limited to 4?
Shame that the VB seems to be so much more expensive on the used market

You might consider a GR 55 as that has both Guitar mode and bass modes that can accommodate your desires

But locating a Roland VB-99 (given your level of gear) might be the best route certainly provides some deep Hex PU processing for bass pitched instruments with the lowest latency

vanceg

I sold my VB-99 and regret it frequently.

chlorinemist

Just completed my Cycfi Bass VI. XR Dual Actives in the neck and middle positions, Nu Multi-6 in the bridge. 19 pin out. Seperate audio outs for all 8 pickups. 7 channels of CV out for the 3 knobs and 4 switches, w/ MIDI conversion in the Nexus.

Currently I'm mixing the middle and neck pickup together with a Rane SM26B but plan to switch to using one of these: http://saturnworkspedals.com/product/summer-mixer-pedal/

Sounding amazing direct and with the 6Appeal. I strongly suspect the VB-99 would be a beautiful compliment to this rig. Here's an audio demo I recorded a couple hours after finishing the build:

https://soundcloud.com/chlorinemist/bass-vi-demo-1edit/s-xLxsv

gumbo

Love it !  ...

...even if it isn't an internal install  ...   ;D

Max Klein

Should i use the gr 55 in bass or guitar mode when using a gk3 pickup on a squier bass vi? The guitar mode settings dont go to 730mm scale length (30") 

gumtown

Quote from: Max Klein on June 21, 2020, 10:38:03 AM
Should i use the gr 55 in bass or guitar mode when using a gk3 pickup on a squier bass vi? The guitar mode settings dont go to 730mm scale length (30")

The Bass VI is a Bass and the GR-55 should be used in Bass Mode.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chlorinemist

Figured I should share my latest VI build here :)