DIY Battery Power Ideas - Poweradd , BoxKing, Tourtek

Started by Elantric, February 20, 2014, 09:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReniPerez

I've tried the Intocircuit 32000 mah Power Monster power bank I purchased from Amazon.com with the Trutone 8-plug cable and polarity cable (very important to have that polarity cable!) with a series of devices in a 9-volt chain.  They were a Boss GP-10, Line 6 Pod HD500 (needs an adapter plug that comes with Intocircuit to accommodate slightly larger power input), and five Pigtronix pedals.  The Pigtronix pedals sound better with 18 volts feeding them but still work with 9 volts and were included mostly to test the Intociruit capability.

This worked right out of the gate and I was thrilled though later on I did have a bit of a hiccup with it.  I had tried this setup again and first connected the GP-10 but then, shortly after connecting the Line 6 HD500, the voltage symbol on the Intocircuit would start flashing and keep flashing while all power would cease to the units.  I tried this a number of times with the same results after which I tried just connecting the short cable that came with the power bank and saw that it read a steady 9 volts.  I then connected the combined polarity cable-into-Trutone 8-plug cable into the short cable and then connected the devices and the voltage held steady for the duration of the power banks charge.

I'm not sure what gave the unit it's flashing voltage problem but I haven't experienced it since then and I'm very pleased with its ability to supply power to multiple devices especially including a Line 6 HD500 which I feared might be too much for it.  I even added a USB To DC 9v or 12v Adjustable Step-up Voltage Regulator Converter to the USB port that someone on the forum had recommended.  It was able to power a 12 volt input (no reverse polarity cable needed here) to a VOX MIni3 G2 amp from the USB port while powering all the other devices from the DC power out port using the Trutone cable setup.

Thank you to Elantric and all the other helpful posters that helped put me on this track.  Outdoor summer playing is now happening.

admin

Powering  both a HD500 and GP-10 may present a hurdle -

the HD500 requires a lot more DC current than the GP-10   

ReniPerez

Yes, I agree that the HD500 is a big power draw relatively speaking.  The GP-10 power supply states 9v at .5 amps while the HD 500 states 9v at 3 amps.  The power bank lists its output as 4.5 amps at 9 volts.  Nonetheless, it's working with an HD500, GP-10 and VOX mini amp though, in reality, I will most likely use it to power a GP-10, a MIDX-20 which powers a Softstep foot controller via its USB connector, and a TC-Helicon Voicelive 2 which the power bank has plenty of juice for.  I also have another power bank of 20000 mah with 12-16-19 volt DC out that I can put to use if I need separate 12 volts or greater power for the Voicelive 2 or a VOX mini amp.

chrish

Quote from: ReniPerez on May 03, 2017, 09:31:02 AM
I ordered a couple of reverse polarity cables from Musician's Friend for $2.99 each.  With no tax and free shipping, it seemed like a no brainer.  It seems I fried a Pigronix pedal by not paying attention to the polarity so this time I'll check the polarity of the power out on the battery pack using a voltmeter before sticking a cable in.  If it's a rebrand of the Poweradd Pilot Pro, then I would think it'll be the same situation which means you'll need the reverse polarity cable.  Why take a chance?
man sorry to hear that you bricked  your pedal.

When I purchased a spicetone 6appeal pedal recently, it didn't come with a power supply. Right now it's attached to one of those multi-voltage and selectable polarity switch AC to DC wall warts. In order to ensure that I didn't accidentally flip the polarity switch, I wedged a piece of a putty like substance in the switch (propolis collected by my honey bees). And even though I have the switch set to the correct polarity, I still checked it with a voltage meter.

Your story is a good reminder to use caution when connecting non-standard power supplies.

admin

The Power supply capacity stated on the wal wart has zero bearing on the actual Hardware DC Current draw

Tests reveal the HD500 requires 9VDC  @ 2.1Amps (2100mA)
http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/46741/

ReniPerez

"Tests reveal the HD500 requires 9VDC  @ 2.1Amps (2100mA)"

Thanks.  Even better for me!

chrish

Quote from: admsustainiac on June 12, 2017, 09:38:13 AM
The Power supply capacity stated on the wal wart has zero bearing on the actual Hardware DC Current draw

Tests reveal the HD500 requires 9VDC  @ 2.1Amps (2100mA)
http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/46741/
what happens if you connect a power supply that is underrated in milliamps for the device you're connecting it to? For example connecting a 200 milliamp wall wart to a pedal that requires 300 milliamps.

admin

Quotewhat happens if you connect a power supply that is underrated in milliamps for the device you're connecting it to? For example connecting a 200 milliamp wall wart to a pedal that requires 300 milliamps.

The connected FX  will not power up

gtlist

One question?

Can I leave it charged(plugged on wall outlet)? when it's used for live situation? Or do I need it unplugged when its being used? Is there any noise level difference?
Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe hss with gk3.Tom Anderson Atom wraparound bridge.
Tom Anderson Crowdster plus+ with gk3.
Steinberger GTPro hsh with sustainer pu and Gk3
Taylor 814CE,   Taylor GS Mini, Epiphone masterbilt dr500mce, martin xt1
Roland Gp-10, voicelive 3, Boss Sy-1000

Elantric

You should unplug it from AC power during the gig
yes it will make a noise if you connect to the AC charger while performing

Hurricane

Quote from: Elantric on July 08, 2017, 10:30:53 PM

;D
C'mon man heh heh heh .

Some of the places I go to to play are really
away from all power  :o .

Here in the Mojave desert & The Big Island of Hawaii's
Puna district - thought one like this might have a power
storage for a week end away from AC to power a tube amp .

On Lanai we ( my partner ) stayed camped on the beach with
a big honken sport's boat generator powering the P.A. from
the dock , it was one of the coolest gigs you can imagine .

My partner on his acoustic 12 String Epi & myself on acoustic
harps with my friend singing everything from R&R - CW & nasty
English/Irish/Scottish drinking songs .   ;)

EZ :

HR

gtlist

thanks Elantric.

I play the guitar in just one place 7times a week. so I left my pedalboard on stage. Right before the playing I plug pedalboard into the wall and after the 2hours of play unplugged it from wall.

So, If I use Pliot Pro 32000nh I need to do it very opposite way right ? It's interesting.
Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe hss with gk3.Tom Anderson Atom wraparound bridge.
Tom Anderson Crowdster plus+ with gk3.
Steinberger GTPro hsh with sustainer pu and Gk3
Taylor 814CE,   Taylor GS Mini, Epiphone masterbilt dr500mce, martin xt1
Roland Gp-10, voicelive 3, Boss Sy-1000

admin

Depending on the pedal board total D.C. Current , you may only have to recharge the PowerAdd Pilot  Pro once a month

Dunny Daw

I've only just stumbled on this post, and wondering if any can help me.

I bought one of these generic Poweradd battery banks years ago, and have put it aside.  I would have it powering my multi-FX (either a GP-10 or a GT-1) and all would be going well.  Then after about 10 minutes or so, the Poweradd would shut-down.  It would be indicating that it still had 90% or more storage power, so I don't think that was the issue.  It just seemed like it would not be detecting a load, and then would time-out and auto shut-down.

Even if I was strumming to ensure there was sound being generated by the pedal, the Poweradd would still shut down.

I have tried any number of settings, but found nothing that seemed to keep it going.

Any suggestions?

I've kept an eye on other power banks to purchase something else, but being from Australia, most don't post over here.

admin

the 2012 and later PowerAdd PilotPro 32000 mAH power pack ( or newer) can power one at a time

You must limit the current draw - by not connecting too many effects. I use multiple battery packs if I need to power several effects

the GR-55 draws a lot more current than a GP-10

And some effects to not play well ( JamMan Solo XT, Digitech Whammy DT), yielding noise / hiss if not placed on their own dedicated power source.

Dunny Daw

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 16, 2017, 08:03:26 AM
the 2012 and later PowerAdd PilotPro 32000 mAH power pack ( or newer) can power one at a time

You must limit the current draw - by not connecting too many effects. I use multiple battery packs if I need to power several effects

the GR-55 draws a lot more current than a GP-10

And some effects to not play well ( JamMan Solo XT, Digitech Whammy DT), yielding noise / hiss if not placed on their own dedicated power source.

Hey, Elantric,

Thanks for this tip.  Since this, I've been playing around with my different FX boxes and the PowerAdd battery supply.

1.  The GP-10 on its own can run for hours with no issues
2.  The GR-55 on its own can run for hours with no issues
3.  The GP-10 plus GR-55 daisy-chained off the battery supply can run for ages with no problems
4.  The GT-1 on its own will shut down after maybe 5 minutes, even if I am playing continuously (so the battery pack should be sensing a load the whole time)
5.  The GT-1 plus GR-55 daisy-chained off the battery supply will shut down after maybe 5 minutes, even if I am playing continuously (so the battery pack should be sensing a load the whole time)
6.  The GT-1 plus GP-10 daisy-chained off the battery supply will shut down after maybe 5 minutes, even if I am playing continuously (so the battery pack should be sensing a load the whole time)

So it looks like the GT-1 is having some impact on the PowerAdd battery pack and it then shuts down.  According to the various manuals, the GT-1 should be the least load (I think it is 200 mA, vs 350 mA and maybe 700 mA for the GP-10 and GR-55).

Which is all a shame, because the GT-1 was the pedal I am most likely to take out and use where I play (very poorly) outside the bedroom.

I'll keep looking for other options ....

Elantric

QuoteI'll keep looking for other options ....

with the Roland / Boss gear that uses AA batteries ( GT-1, FC-300, Cube Street EX)  I use Powerex NiMH 2700 mAh rechargeable batteries 
https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-Capacity-Rechargeable-Batteries-2700mAh/dp/B06XDHM839/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505317954&sr=8-1&keywords=maha+AA+rechargeable

bbob

On the XT Power MP10000 what is the difference between the Samsung devices and Apple devices USP outputs ?  Both are 5 volts. Is the amp output different?  Thanks.

chappi

Quote from: Elantric on February 20, 2014, 09:57:50 AM

I'm going to try one of these  - and see if it can power my FX pedal Board and USB Hub for iPad.

What DC powered USB hubs are people using in this situation? I've had a look through the thread and couldn't find any mentioned.

Thanks

Chris

admin

Quote from: chappi on January 08, 2018, 12:56:25 PM
What DC powered USB hubs are people using in this situation? I've had a look through the thread and couldn't find any mentioned.

Thanks

Chris

I use the ones listed on this thread below

IOS: Connecting USB Class Compliant MIDI / Audio (Battery Power)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9581.0

admin

http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/BATPACK-4000-Rechargeable-Pedalboard-Power-Supply-4000mAh-PBATPACK4000.htm

Model name: PBATPACK4000
Rechargeable Pedalboard Power Supply, 4000mAh
The Palmer BATPACK is purpose-designed for guitar and bass players to provide ultra-quiet power to pedalboards and high current draw stompboxes. Utilizing advantageous lithium polymer battery technology and specially designed active filtering circuitry, they are absolutely free from buzz, hiss or whine unlike lesser power bank designs. The BATPACK comes in a rugged low-profile aluminium enclosure and delivers 500 mA each from electrically separated and regulated 9 volt DC centre negative barrel outputs. It features short circuit protection, 5-segment battery status indication and a convenient type A USB port for charging smartphones or tablets. A charger is included.

Product type:   Stromversorgungen
Type:   Akku-Stromversorgung
Mains connector:   externes Netzteil
Input voltage:   12 V DC / 2 A
Outputs:   3
Output connectors:   2,1 x 5,5 mm, USB-A
Output voltage:   5, 9 V
Max. output current:   9-V-Ausgänge: 500 mA, 5-V-Ausgang: 1 A
Isolated outputs:   Nein
Polarity:   Innenstift minus
Indicators:   Akku
Controls:   Netzschalter (On/Off)
Battery capacity:   4000 mAh
Battery type:   Lithium
Charging time:   4 Std.
Battery operation time at maximum load:   4 Std.
Width:   195 mm
Depth:   83 mm
Height:   25 mm
Weight:   0,001 kg

https://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/1542967/Palmer-Audio----BATPACK-4000

mchad

These must be common yes? How you get the juice from the powerbank to the pedal? I'm interested because I will have a small pedalboard with only one or two high current pedals and the rest just analog stomps. So a regular small DC brick and a powerbank with USB outs (with this cord) for the hungry stomps.

https://www.songbirdfx.com/products/birdcord/