Odd Vg 99 behavior

Started by ktat, January 03, 2014, 08:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktat

Well here is a weird one for you guys.

I will preface this by saying I bought my VG 99 right when it came out and have never seen this happen before.

I was crafting some tones with the unit USB'd to the editor running Mountain lion.  I walked away to feed my dogs and pay some bills, and when I came back to work some more I stepped on the FC 300.  The screen flashed offline, then went back to displaying the patch I had previously selected.  I tried changing the mode of the pedal and nothing would happen.

So then I turned to the editor running on my Mac and nothing was happening there either. 

Thinking I exhausted everything I figured I would just reboot the unit.  The final and weirdest thing was that I pressed the power button and it did nothing.  Did not turn the unit off.  I pressed it about five more times before pulling the power cord out of the wall.  Upon plugging it in again it worked just fine.

Anyone out there seen any behavior like this before?

Elantric

QuoteI was crafting some tones with the unit USB'd to the editor running Mountain lion.  I walked away to feed my dogs and pay some bills, and when I came back to work some more I stepped on the FC 300.  The screen flashed offline, then went back to displaying the patch I had previously selected.  I tried changing the mode of the pedal and nothing would happen.

So then I turned to the editor running on my Mac and nothing was happening there either. 
Thinking I exhausted everything I figured I would just reboot the unit.  The final and weirdest thing was that I pressed the power button and it did nothing.  Did not turn the unit off.  I pressed it about five more times before pulling the power cord out of the wall.  Upon plugging it in again it worked just fine.

What you describe is the typical expected VG-99 / FC-300 behavior anytime your VG-99 is connected to your PC/Mac via USB and your computer enters sleep mode.

Disable all power Save modes on your PC/Mac to prevent the VG-99 locking up when the computer enters sleep mode.

From Roland VG-99 FAQ
Could you have entered Sleep mode during playback or recording?
If the VG-99 does not work correctly after resuming from Sleep mode, you should exit all applications that use the VG-99, and then turn the power of the VG-99 off and on again.

concordal

You can prevent a Mac from entering sleep mode with a free app called Caffeine  (http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/).  Convenient because Caffeine sits in the menu bar and can be set for specific time periods - no need to go into Mac preferences to set and then re-set energy saver settings.

ktat

Thanks guys. I can't believe I haven't came across this in all the years I've been a vg99 user. And thanks for the tip on caffeine.