Morning Improvisation

Started by Cricket, October 03, 2011, 05:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cricket

Just a little something I was fooling around with which, despite its faults, still makes intriguing listening, I think.  Every morning I record a short improvisation, usually using the internal looper on the GR 55.  This particular morning, I did something a little different from my usual free jazz/post-rock/ambient stuff.

Except for a few chords at the end, spliced in from another experiment, this is all improvised straight into the looper.  The patch is Mellow Cello, as is, with the voice/octave changed to viola and violin on the fly.

I can hear more pick noise on the intro than I would like, and perhaps it is a bit longer than it deserves to be, but overall I'm happy with the sound and think the experiment was a success. 

And I never ever listened to the Bartok string quartets.   ;D

Hope you enjoy.

http://www.box.net/shared/co47txzukkx5a9j796ya

Maudibe

Wow - that is disturbing!

Really nice use of the instrument - you have got the feel of the Cello... which makes it sound very authentic. Also I believe you have stayed well within the range of what could be achieved with a real Cello (any experts comment on this?).

I didn't hear the picking sound you refered to... I have played around with the string sounds and tend to use fingerstyle for the softer attack... mind, I am not travelling the same path as you and rather use the 55 to augment my guitar sounds rather than replace them or attempt to replicate a real instrument.

But nice ... very nice...

Rob Hermans

Yeah! I agree, great use of the instrument, but I'm no cello aficionado either...the harmonies are really beautiful; like Bach pondering Wagner ::)  I'd love to hear a "Scherzo" movement next!

I did heard the picking sounds you refer to, and especially a low frequency bang (something hitting a microphone, perhaps?) at time index 1m37s. I imagine you're recording using a microphone, which would pick up the sound of the pick acoustically at low volume.

Very cool playing, really innovative. Thanks for sharing  :)

Cricket

Thank you both.  I'm glad you liked it.  I usually record these and don't listen back 'til the next morning, and there was just something about this one I liked more than most.

Maudibe - I'm still not sure exactly what path I'm on.  I was pretty happy with my guitar sound.  I bought a GR 55 'cos I really missed the voice of the GR 300, and it seemed the cheapest way to get that.  I didn't expect the instruments to interest me as much as they do, but they do... far more realistic than I thought they'd be.

Rob - Yeah, it's just the internal mic on my computer, and crappy software too, heh, heh.  The mic really seems to "hear" the pick, even when the room volume seems as though it would drown it out.  Maybe someday I'll improve my recording capability to something decent.

The low frequency bang is one of my sons taking down the other on the floor above me.  Whgat can ya do?