GR-55 - Gumtown's GR-55 FloorBoard Editor

Started by gumtown, January 18, 2011, 02:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diogobaeder

Quote from: gumtown on August 28, 2017, 10:11:59 PM
Those are the generic libraries used under Ubuntu 15.04, I didn't really have much control over that, from using the Qt5 framework.

Hmmm... strange, I do have Qt5 installed here and even then it didn't have those versions installed...

Anyways, I got the thing working here. With a USB cable it failed miserably - I couldn't connect correctly, it notified "bad data" for every patch and popped up boxes complaining about missing the connection -, but with MIDI cables it's working flawlessly, and I'm already in love with the software! Thanks a lot! :-)

BTW, any chance the program source code gets ported to GitHub or something like this? When I have the time, I'd like to contribute to it, perhaps if there are issues to solve or whatnot...

Awesome forum, guys!
Diogo Baeder - Software developer and bass player

gumtown

The Source code has been updated, looks like the last code backup was in 2013, quite a while ago.
I hope it is all there for a clean build.

https://svn.code.sf.net/p/grfloorboard/code/ grfloorboard-code
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

diogobaeder

Diogo Baeder - Software developer and bass player

dnieper

Hi gumtown.  No, the source code isn't up to date.  First, menuPage_ez_edit.h has to have it's name changed to menuPage_EZ_Edit.h in order to compile.  Second, I get this warning on launching the app as built from source code:

Warning: QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO is deprecated. Instead use:
    QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR to enable platform plugin controlled per-screen factors.
    QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS to set per-screen factors.
    QT_SCALE_FACTOR to set the application global scale factor.

That looks like a fairly simple fix but there are probably other things that aren't up to date as well.  I'm building on Kubuntu 16.04 64 with gcc 5.4.0 and Qt 5.6.1.  Cheers.

dnieper

Here I go, answering my own post  ::)  It appears that (possibly) you are compiling with an older version of Qt than I am using.  So, the simple solution for me is to do this in main.cpp, replace

qputenv("QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO", QByteArray("2"));

with

qputenv ("QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR", QByteArray("1"));

Of course, it would be more elegant to add a check for the QT version.  There is still the issue of the name of menuPage_EZ_Edit.h.

dnieper

Hi gumtown, I find myself using the floorboard editor almost constantly now  :)  I frequently find myself modifying a number of patches in quick succession.  One thing that has caused me some problems is that I often forget to wait for the changes to get written to the GR-55 prior to changing to the next patch that I want to modify.  Many times when I do this the application crashes or gets the GR-55 into a confused state (I have to turn it off and back on to clear the problem).  To alleviate this I have added the following two lines:

qApp->setOverrideCursor(Qt::WaitCursor);
    qApp->processEvents();

to the beginning of floorBoardDisplay::writeToMemory().  In addition, I have added the following line:

qApp->restoreOverrideCursor ();

to the end of floorBoardDisplay::resetDevice(QString sysxMsg).  While this doesn't actually fix the problem (I can still double click the next patch) it does remind me, by displaying a spinning WaitCursor, that something important is going on and I should wait until it's done.  I hope this is the correct place to make suggestions for the editor.  If not, please direct me to the right place.  Cheers.

dnieper

Hello gumtown, I have yet another question  :D  I was getting tired of having to switch directories every time I read or wrote a .g5l file so I was going to mod the preferences code to save and restore the last directories used for read and write.  Here's the question - is there some reason that you are using XML to save and restore preferences instead of QSettings?  It seems like serious overhead (in terms of code) plus it's a lot less understandable/modifiable.  Just curious.  Cheers.

gumtown

Thanks for those improvements  :)
I have added those to the code.
The upper case correction has been done locally here,
as I mainly build on Windows, it does not care for case, and overwriting the file seems to leave it with the original file character case in the name.
So I have manually changed it.

QSettings is something I have not looked at, this whole FxFloorBoard project has been my first intro to Qt (started at  Qt4.1) and C++, and all self taught from there.
I have poked around with assembly language and C in the past, and a lot of BASIC in the 80's.
So I have not kept up with new Qt features much.

I will be most grateful if you can offer any improvements and suggestions.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

I just added the cursorwait to void bankTreeList::updatePatchNames too,
which will help with trying to select a patch while the tree is reading patch names and system data.

dnieper

Awesome!  I started with FORTRAN in the late 70s :D  All my C++/Qt is self taught as well.  I can post an example of how I use QSettings in some of my projects if you are interested.  I started out saving my own preferences until I stumbled on QSettings.  It was so easy I just scrapped everything I'd done and started over.

dnieper

Hi gumtown, I threw together some QSettings code based on the preferences.xml file.  It is attached below (I hope... as a text file since .cpp isn't one of the approved file types).  Please note, I use a lot of empty space for readability and I use XEmacs as an IDE so my indention is nice but different from yours ;)  Let me know if this is useful.  Cheers.

admin

Quote from: dnieper on September 06, 2017, 09:48:32 AM
Hi gumtown, I threw together some QSettings code based on the preferences.xml file.  It is attached below (I hope... as a text file since .cpp isn't one of the approved file types).  Please note, I use a lot of empty space for readability and I use XEmacs as an IDE so my indention is nice but different from yours ;)  Let me know if this is useful.  Cheers.

Make a zip version makes these files more transportable

dnieper

How about a tgz?  I don't run Windows unless forced to ;)

dnieper

Hi gumtown.  Uh, oops, I forgot that QSettings (and Qt in general) uses UNIX file naming conventions internally so, the two lines that look like this:

QString ini_file = QString (getenv ("USERPROFILE")) + QString ("\\GR-55FloorBoard.ini");

need to look like this:

QString ini_file = QString (getenv ("USERPROFILE")) + QString ("/GR-55FloorBoard.ini");

Sorry about that ::)

jipegonzo

hi there ! sorry for my english
just bought a fantastic gr55..
i'm trying to "load patch" with the floorboard editor and it doesn't works.... :'(
for example i've downloaded artist patchs in a file directory in my hard disk named "c", then file named "artist patch for gr55", if i search in my computer, i'm finding "C" then artist patch for gr55" then the name of the patch downloaded, ALL is ok
with the floorboard gr 55 editor : "file" then "load patch file" then "the artist patch for gr555" and....... nothing ! the file is empty... ??? i guess it's probably a windows 10 setup but i didn't found solution
if anyone could help me... ? THANK YOU SO MUCH by advance
jp (from france)

jipegonzo

Quote from: jipegonzo on September 17, 2017, 08:00:46 AM
hi there ! sorry for my english
just bought a fantastic gr55..
i'm trying to "load patch" with the floorboard editor and it doesn't works.... :'(
for example i've downloaded artist patchs in a file directory in my hard disk named "c", then file named "artist patch for gr55", if i search in my computer, i'm finding "C" then artist patch for gr55" then the name of the patch downloaded, ALL is ok
with the floorboard gr 55 editor : "file" then "load patch file" then "the artist patch for gr555" and....... nothing ! the file is empty... ??? i guess it's probably a windows 10 setup but i didn't found solution
if anyone could help me... ? THANK YOU SO MUCH by advance
jp (from france)

it works now... with the older version of floorboard... any ideas ?
thks !
jp

gumtown

Can you post a link to where the Artist Patch Files come from ?

kenact

Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

gumtown

I see those patch files are in a compressed ZIP package, they need to be decompressed first.

I am using GR-55FloorBoard version 20170409 (9th April 2017), and I can open and load the patch set,
it will open a popup dialog to select one of the many patches in the package.

Is there anything specific about your operating system, just a standard Windows 10 install?

Gazgoldstar

Hi Gumtown and everyone else!

I'm struggling running the GR55 floorboard editor on my Mac without it crashing.  I'm running MacOS Sierra with the latest drivers but sadly it isn't stable. Is this a known issue?

Alternatively I am considering setting up a Raspberry Pi to try and run the editor on it and am currently thinking about getting a Tingbot that could live in my pedalboard case alongside my GR55. Do you think this would be possible? I realise that the graphics would be tiny on the small touchscreen but I think it would be super cool!

jipegonzo

Quote from: gumtown on September 18, 2017, 10:37:43 AM
Can you post a link to where the Artist Patch Files come from ?
it works fine, now
thank you for your work !
jp

flyingb

I need some final words on GR Floorboard.
The difficult I have is understanding the correct flow.

I have the guitar connected, the GR-Switched on and connected to my PC. Floorboard is started and running.

What exactly loads the user area into Floorboard? Connect button?

Now, I have everything loaded and I can play with the patch I just double clicked. I change something, hear the modified tone. Is that the same as I were tweaking on the GR-55?

While doing this, I change patch on the GR-55, via the phisical unit or double clicking a patch on the floorboard left tree. Do I get the new patch tone and the patch I was working on does not retain the changes?

If then I return on the previous patch (the one I was working on) via GR or double clicking on left tree of Floorboard, does Floorboard updates its view on the parameters of the unchanged patch?

My problem is, as you can understand, to manage how the unit is affected by the connection.

Hope I made myself clear.

Thank you everybody.

Cris.

schfiftyfive

Thanks for putting the link up, and thanks a lot if you are the creator of it. I just bought a gittler cable (thanks to advice on this forum) and while I was at it, I thought I'd send a few bucks to the floorboard creator.

Anyway, just sent $10 USD and again thanks. js