Roar Vangen plays his own tunes on VG-99

Started by Roar Vangen, March 04, 2010, 06:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roar Vangen

I have uploaded two videos where I play my own tunes inspired by norwegian folkmusic on VG-99 and electric guitar. The third video (Gi fan i tullen) is live from 2002 where I use VG-88 with an acoustic guitar (A Lowden with RMC pickupsystem). Celio de Carvalho from Brazil plays percussion.
Link:

sixeight

A2theT

Hey Roar,
Evening Solitude is a FANTASTIC tune!  Great work and very inspiring so I thank you for this.  The sound is excellent to.  What patch are you using and could you please post it?

Thanks for your contributions to our forum!

Andrew.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

paults

These are great!  What kind of settings did you use for Eagle High? I love the ambient harmonies that sustain behind the guitar. 

bob e

I also enjoyed your tasteful playing and synth effects.  Please, post your patches so we can try to fly as high as you.

Bob E.

Roar Vangen

Thank you for respons, will answer in a couple of days!

Roar Vangen

I have uploaded the patches for "Eagle high" & "Evening solitude"
You will find them under VG-99 Patches/Alternate tunings
I have used an open tuning for my acoustic guitar-tunes the last 10-12 years. It is (from bottom) C-G-C-G-C-E or C-G-C-G-C-Eb.
One these two electric tunes my Fender Stratocaster (with Roland GK-KIT-GT3 inside) is tuned normal and then retuned to C-G-C-G-C-Eb inside the VG-99

Eagle high:Here I have one chord-sound for the 5 bottom strings and a solo sound for the top-string. The bottom string is tuned one octave (or -16 from E..) down and the 4 other chord-strings is tuned one octave up. I play with a pick, but the most important technique (which you dont see) is to use the EXP-PEDAL-2 as a volume/swell pedal every time a chord is played, to take away the attack in the chord. In the second half of the tune I also press CTL-1 to add "octave-down-sound" to the solo string and switch on the "Fernades Sustainer system" in my guitar. This gives a shimmering feedback-like sound to both the chord and solo sound. I also control the gain/distortion for the solo string with EXP-PEDAL-2 and this is toe-down (full) through the tune.

Evening Solitude: Here I play with a ususal fingerpick style. The 3 bottom strings have a bass-guitar sound and is tuned one octave down. The 3 upper strings is the electric guitar. On the second half of the tune I add more gain to small parts with the EXP-PEDAL-2 which controls the gain for the guitar sound.

Please ask if you want to know more.

Paresh

Why am I not hearing any sound? I remember a post about that recently but can't find it now...Thanks.
paresh

A2theT

check foot volume levels in the fx section of the vg. probably at zero
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Paresh

paresh

audiotrax

Hello Roar,

I LOVE your song;Evening Solitude!  Just great stuff.  It's really refreshing hearing people use the Roland V things to take the guitar into different places.  I just subscribed to you on You Tube.
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

synthfrets

Those are very nice songs. Thanks for sharing.
G-202, 505, 707, 77, GR-1, 100, 30, 33, 33B, 300, 55, 500, 700, 77B, GM-70, GP-10, SY-300, VG-88, 99, WP-20...