When will 3rd party synths be loadable to an all singing "VG1000" Floor FX?

Started by Smash, May 25, 2017, 05:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

It seems the way floor FX's are going is starting to allow 3rd party access for additional content - so far it's only cab IRs for the mainstream producers but the independents are paving the way for 3rd party FX (like the Mod Duo for example).

So it seems to me the next logical step would be a combined Floor FX/Synth pedal which allowed not only 3rd party Amps/FX to be loaded but also 3rd party synth engines! Imagine a COSM guitar>COSM AMP>3rd party cab IR>3rd Party Boutique FX combined with Boutique synth (Omnisphere lite?)_or multi sample player such as Sampletank.

All in one box the size of a Helix - certainly multi display.

I've said it before on EHX 9 series pedal threads but this really could generate some nice additional revenue streams from 3rd party licensing. Mesa/Bognor/Cornell/Two rock amps and cab IRs. Strymon/Lexicon verbs. Access Virus/Oberheim/U-He synths.

Never pre-ordered anything in my life but that...that would change things :D

chlorinemist

Companies have tried bringing hardware VST hosts to market a few times. It seems like every single one has gone out of business though...

http://sonicstate.com/news/2008/03/13/messe08-vst-and-vsti-without-a-computer/

SMPRO V-Pedal (RIP)

On further research, I did find this: https://www.modemachines.com/vped-vped-pro

Looks COOL

They are currently in business for sure. This product in particular doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere that I can see though...
Except here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mode-Machines-vPED-VST-Pedalboard-VST-Host-standalone-Case-PlugIns-V-Machine-/292102676256?hash=item4402ad1f20:g:9OYAAOSwuTxV9u-x

Smash

That does look cool!

I was thinking more hybrid firmware based with maybe one or two loadable slots for 3rd party stuff. So you'd have something like Tonestudio with signature patches but also downloadable licensed plug in's (which actually could be signature stuff) - I guess I'm thinking like a empty "kemper" style slot for amps and VSTi type empty slot for the synth. Judging by the Kemper model guitarist are happy to pay and download specific model packs.

alexmcginness

Definitely do not want a floor based VG 1000. One of the strengths of the VG 99 is that is not a floor unit so that when youre using it and making on the fly adjustments you dont look like an army calisthenics instructor on stage constantly bending over to tweak knobs or punch thru menus. Thank God the 99 put us past that. Why go backwards? What needs to be on the floor are expression pedals and patch change functions. The VG 99/fc 300 are the perfect combo. Now a VG 1000 with the ability to add third party stuff and at least one external FX loop without stripping any of the functionality currently in the 99 would be great, but floor only? Nah.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Smash

I hate the VG99 form factor! But OK yes - floor or rack, wherever it's at, just as long as it covers PCM, COSM and 3rd party plug ins lol!

chlorinemist

I highly doubt Roland would release a hardware unit that can load 3rd party softsynths. That would require a level of openness that they have never displayed before. Also I dont think I would trust Roland to keep up on the support for something like that... It would require constant updates. I think this is probably a big reason all the VST pedals failed. Especially since they were all released close to the years where the big transition from 32 to 64 bit plugins took place, probably rendering a lot of these boxes obsolete.
Keeping an OS up to date, compatible with all software and fully operational requires a major effort, and that's why you mostly only see huge companies like Microsoft and Apple successfully achieving this. And those companies release major upgrades every year, which forces all the vst makers to release upgrades every year too, and the pedal would have to be able to keep up with these changes and upgrades.
The more I think about it, the more it really makes sense to me that a laptop and DAW is really the best vst host you're going to find. I'm no dsp engineer though so I could be wrong

Antonuzzo

What would be welcome - and actually achievable - would be a floor unit with the option to buy and download models of Boss pedals. I loved the inclusion of the OD-1, MT-2, SG-1 etc on the VG-99, but it would be great to be able to play around with emulations of the SP-1, SYB-5, DC-2, PS-2 etc.