FTP - Plan to install graphtech piezo on Fender FTP

Started by phals2002, April 25, 2017, 04:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phals2002

I am new to the club. Just received my Fender FTP yesterday. It was not brand new but previous owner kept it like baby and never use it. It even still had the fender tag hanging  at headstock.

What Im going to do now is installing graphtech ghost piezo. But I realize this will sacrifice the volume button for the headphone out in the guitar.

A question for Fender FTP user here, what do you think about the headphone volume button ?  Is it useful? Im asking this because I havent make use of it. I even dont know how to use it :)

Has anyone ever tried this mod before? Pls share your experience.  Thank you so much

Elantric

I would point you to Vade's Fender  / Fishman Strat thread - where he used the Fishman hex Mag PU to feed both the Tripleplay circuitry, and Roland internal GK kit circuitry   

Graphtech Piezos have known high adjacent string crosstalk and not ideal for use with Gk modeling systems ( VG-99, GR-5, GP-10 )

FTP - Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat - install an internal GK Kit
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15974.msg114112#msg114112

QuoteA question for Fender FTP user here, what do you think about the headphone volume button ?  Is it useful? Im asking this because I havent make use of it. I even dont know how to use it :)
Might as well remove the built in 24 bit Class Coompliant USB audio interface

But I use all the stock controls on my Fender Fishman Strat,

All I need is  Fender Fishman Strat,  and an iPad with music apps and Apple USB Camera adapter and a USB cable and headphones and I can compose and record 24 bit audio tracks anywhere. 

This has become an essential tool for me, and the USB Audio return Volume knob is crucial for that endeavor.

phals2002

Thanks for that fast response Elantric....

So you suggest I dont do the mod on the headphone jack output?
Im planned to parallel the graphtech volume and headphone jack volume wiring (if possible), depends on my friend's -the guitar techguy- skill haha.. perhaps thats a stupid idea anyway...

Tell me something Elantric, how do you control the preset in ipad using your D-pad controller?
Is D-pad works with ipad? if yes, what app?

I've been struggled with Garageband, Music Studio and Yamaha Synth with no success....

Need your advice..... thanks

Elantric

Whatever path you pursue, you need to make room for the new GK 13 pin preamp and output jack

Most remove the USB Audio board and side mounted USB jack and use those locations for the new 13 pin bits.

QuoteTell me something Elantric, how do you control the preset in ipad using your D-pad controller? Is D-pad works with ipad? if yes, what app?

The built in D-PAD Up and down buttons change patches up / down in most MIDI apps I use ( bismark bs-16i )

Never had a struggle with that aspect of any of FTP systems

But I don't know what firmware I have on my Fender FTP Strat 
- I use mostly the non MIDI features. and the USB audio 99% of the time , as my work requires I be a several different sites and I'm on the road a lot , stuck in hotel rooms FTP Strat + iPhone and headphones is all I need

phals2002

Really Elantric? I still cant function D pad in any of my ipad apps: tried Korg Gadget, garageband, music studio, yamaha synth. All cannot work.

I have tried in setting on each app, and no success. Is bismark16 as you mention a VST or MIDI setting app?

Really need to make this work on my live gig :(

admin

Read the Manual

https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/tripleplay-user-guide-oem.pdf

Be sure you are working D-PAD correctly

in playing position

"Up" is Switch closest to neck PU
"down" is switch closest to your knee

From view above , DPad switch at 12:00 o'clock is UP,
DPad switch at 6:00 o'clock is Down

Bismark BS16i is an IOS App that works on iPhone or iPad
http://www.bismark.jp/bs-16i/
Use a third party MIDI MONITOR app to watch /verify the MIDI Messages sent by the

Explained on the Tripleplay FAQ thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8427.0