Can cell phones cause digital noise in a recording interface?

Started by DreamTheory, February 25, 2017, 04:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

This week I was getting some clic-clic-clicking from my USB recording interface (Behringer FC1010). When my friend turned of his cell phone it stopped. Coincidence or cause?
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

HecticArt

Cause for sure.

If my phone is a foot or so from my interface or cables, I'll get some interference. I have it set to check for mail every 15 minutes, and like clockwork I'll get a little noise. Sometimes the phone will chime right after with a mail notification. If I move it a couple of feet away, I don't get any noise.

gumtown

A lot of places like recording studios won't let you bring your cell phone in unless it is switched 'off'
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

FreeTime

Cause. Its especially bad if you're in a fringe area and your phone goes into high power mode. I haven't heard '10-4 good buddy' come out of my amp or a wireless mic for a good long while, from someone with a CB driving a linear amplifier. (Some used to do that back in the day to boost signal to reach further).

Good shielding/grounding and filtering should take care of most RF interference. On a side-note, I try to lay my power/instrument cables perpendicular to minimise induced interference.

sixeight

My brother was in a band where they recorded the clicking noise and used it in the track.

at 1:05...

chrish

Quote from: sixeight on February 26, 2017, 10:01:55 AM
My brother was in a band where they recorded the clicking noise and used it in the track.

at 1:05...
i remember hearing a radio station review about an artist recording his music in a new york apartment.

since he couldn't cancell out the ambient noises, such a fans and street sounds, he used them in his recordings.