A dude from TGP had lunch with Yoshi Ikegami from Boss

Started by mchad, February 07, 2017, 01:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

FYI

Apparently it was a group lunch and chin wag about future products from Boss. His after meeting comments as follows:

"...What is coming for sure:

More Waza. The Dimension-C was encouraged as well as the Slow Gear.
Editors for the DD-500 and ES-8. This was interesting because what they are doing is a software platform that will work with the entire boss line (that allows editing) but each pedal will have its own GUI. They have been working on it for awhile but wanted to wait until the foundation was solid before they released. This will be soon.

A 2x12 cab for the Katana head.

Things that were brought up:

New Space Echoes both the real ones and other form factors.
New "higher end" multi-fx units like the Helix.
RV-500. Probably on its way.
RV-Multi Mod also probably coming.
Lots of discussion on buffers and TB and possibly a switch.

Lots of other things and it was a fantastic experience. What a great guy who is genuinely interested in what player have to say..."

admin

QuoteEditors for the DD-500 and ES-8. This was interesting because what they are doing is a software platform that will work with the entire boss line (that allows editing) but each pedal will have its own GUI. They have been working on it for awhile but wanted to wait until the foundation was solid before they released. This will be soon.

It will be a Boss Tone Studio version for DD-500, and ES-8

Too bad those invited to lunch were  not GK-13 users, and either have no knowledge of these Roland / Boss products  or no interest. (or both)

In 2017, among all guitarists I know,  we still cant break into the "status quo" general interest category.

Instead bulk of the  products we discuss here (13 pin guitars, VG/GR/GP, Variax, ATG-1 etc, remains the exclusive domain of the 0.001%

Sad that today, as a population, its the Drummers who will embrace high tech gear (V-Drums) more rapidly than any guitarist I know, as no guitarists I know locally desire to  "think different" in public, else face ridicule 

mchad

Quote from: admsustainiac on February 07, 2017, 02:02:27 PM
Too bad those invited to lunch were  not GK-13 users, and either have no knowledge of these Roland / Boss products  or no interest.

True.

I think Boss could probably step up their game in the effects arena. I mean a Waza Slow Gear?! Good Lord. Sure they could release a high end multi effect but I want to see ground breaking effects. Not another machine that just has the usual suspects but it sounds better! Remember when the GP8 came out? We all stood around it and gasped...you can have all those effects...at the same time! Anyways, there's plenty of other companies pushing the boundaries. It's a great time to be a guitar player.

Rhcole

It IS strange that guitar players have become traditionalists and some of the most conservative musicians you can find. The greats from 50 years ago and beyond were excited about pushing the boundaries and limitations of the instrument. Les Paul would not have been a member of this forum, he would have FOUNDED this forum.
Not so much any more.

mchad

I must say though that it's very cool that Yoshi is actively engaging with the guitar community. I moaned before about how they should be more adventurous with effects but really, they do what they do, and they do it well.

Except for ditching midi ins and outs on some things.  ???

aliensporebomb

I'd do lunch with him but my japanese is just bad enough to accidentally make a social gaffe.  Interesting though on the forthcoming products. 

The last time they released a high dollar processor "ala Helix" it was called a VG-99.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

QuoteI'd do lunch with him but my japanese is just bad enough to accidentally make a social gaffe.  Interesting though on the forthcoming products. 

I had a meeting with him at NAMM - he speaks english very well

He did indicate there will be future Vguitar and GK synth products

chrish

So maybe roland does read vguitarforum and considers the market that is represented here. And all the vguitarists that don't do forums.

HAMERMAN409

Elantric - that is too cool! Great to hear that the word is being put in. The fact that Yoshi is getting out there and meeting musicians in the first place is certainly a good sign.

mooncaine

That's great to hear, because I love, love, love my VG instruments, so much that I got an extra VG-99. I never bothered to buy a backup of such a thing before.

Having a VG is like having the history of guitar in your hands. You can play along with almost any style or time period of guitar music, and try out sims of instruments you may never have thought of, or couldn't get your hands on. You can sound like synths. Cover band heaven, & also heavenly stuff in there for King Crimson fans, Belew fans, Jeff Beck fans, Duane Allman, Ledbelly, Robt. Johnson, Jimmy Bryant, Alex Lifeson, Frank Zappa, Strummer, Buchanan, Burton, Pass, Helms, King, Tronzo, Lonzo & Oscar.

But I traded away my GR-55 for it because, ultimately, I just didn't like it as much as the VG and a chance to swap locally came up. Hated that GR-55's weird choice of effect routings that made you think about its limitations and plan around them. Way cooler to just have a line of effects you can rearrange however your like. Liked having the built-in synth, though! I miss that. They took away too much of the COSM/HARM synthish sounds to keep me hooked, reamed out 2 or 3 of my favorite sources from the VGs, like the Wave and PWM cosmodels.*

*that should be a word.