SY-300 played with hex and without

Started by Brak(E)man, January 30, 2017, 03:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

They did advertise the sy-300 as being polyphonic, however they were playing coy with how many notes poly it is using all virtual oscs.

Most synths will state the note poly and roland did not. I think that we all assumed that since it's a guitar synth it would have clean six note poly. After all, that's what we got with the vg's.

Have you tried spliting the v-oscs so that the note ranges that they play is spread out across the fret board?   

Brak(E)man

I have worked with Boss/Roland for a long time.
I bought the polyphony as advertised I saw no
reason to  doubt that, I've had nothing but good experience
with the other Boss/Roland products until GP-10

Can you beleive the difference the real polyphony made ?
I was blown away !

And no I haven't tried splitting the osc.
Even with only 3 strings in use it's blahh...

I guess I'm going to use the SY primarily as a mono synth
maybe I'll use this method with resynth in the studio.

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Rhcole

I have written before about the polyphony of other products in the marketplace that are also advertised as being fully polyphonic. You can try an EHX Pitchfork or HOG2 if you want to experience some ghastly glitches when chords are played. Nobody has clean 1/4 inch polyphony yet. The closest is the Mel-9, which shows that EHX is slowly improving in this area.

Chrish, you have two SYs, right? Mapping the six oscillators across the fretboard would be very interesting to try. I am going to try it with three oscillators. It isn't likely to be a great solution though, not just because it reduces the richness of having combined voices but also because many chords will  have more than one pitch per oscillator, still producing glitches.

Brak(E)man

Jamorigin and the deep fx seems to be getting close.

- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

I dunno.  I think the 99 still fits my definition of a "polyphonic nextgen" guitar product that makes my guitar sound like nearly anything I want.  The Guitar-to-Midi works well when used over USB.

The GP-10 does some cool stuff too but it's not in the league (although the factory patches on the GP10 play to the devices strengths unlike the 99's factory presets).   Some of its built in synth stuff is nice although I don't have nearly the programming control I do on a 99 and some of the acoustic and modeled sounds are obviously "newer generation" than the 99 but I expected that.

Together, I have multiple devices that fill multiple roles.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

Quote from: Rhcole on January 31, 2017, 09:04:24 AM
I have written before about the polyphony of other products in the marketplace that are also advertised as being fully polyphonic. You can try an EHX Pitchfork or HOG2 if you want to experience some ghastly glitches when chords are played. Nobody has clean 1/4 inch polyphony yet. The closest is the Mel-9, which shows that EHX is slowly improving in this area.

Chrish, you have two SYs, right? Mapping the six oscillators across the fretboard would be very interesting to try. I am going to try it with three oscillators. It isn't likely to be a great solution though, not just because it reduces the richness of having combined voices but also because many chords will  have more than one pitch per oscillator, still producing glitches.
yes, i purchased two because i wanted stereo inputs, extra virtual osc and the ability to experiment with stacking 8 delays with the output of one sy feeding the input of the other sy.

that concept of stacking the same fx was new to me until i studied one of your patches where you had 2 reverbs going into a delay plus reverbs.

i like your idea of the splits using the two units. That would yield one virtual osc per string freq range with some over lap.

the over lap may make for an interesting modulation.

Rhcole

Yeah, to get minimal overlap in your setup you might change to the next oscillator after the fifth. With one SY you are almost forced to use one oscillator per octave, which would still make it pretty mushy on many chords.

So a min 7th in a two SY setup would have the 7th in a second oscillator, and that would certainly improve clarity. The root min third fifth would produce some mush but not as much.

Maybe you could even change after the fourth, leaving only a likely two notes per oscillator for most chords.

Elantric

This is possible, although not practical - could try using a hex 13 pin guitar > 6 channel break-out box and feed six Katana 50-112 combos running the Wave Synth effect ($199/ ea = $1200 for six)

Then use the Katana Guitar to WAVE SYNTH effect

gumtown

6 x Boss GT-1's will work out at about the same price too.  ;)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Brak(E)man

The price is not the issue, I'd buy 6 SY if I could get them in a box the same size as one.

- Lydia Lunch

Rhcole

I did an experiment with the SY over lunch splitting strings. Look for a quick note under the SY Discussions section.

admin

If the SY-300 tracks three note chords OK -
you could modify a G&L Commanche for Dual outputs using a TRS output jack,

- then feed lower three Strings into SY-300 #1
- and feed upper three Strings into SY-300 #2

Brak(E)man

It can track three note chords but only some very basic ones,
the pitch algorithm should be able to update though

- Lydia Lunch

Rhcole

Root - Seventh makes it gag. Other intervals that produce beat frequencies will respond the same way. Root - Fifth, Root - Octave, etc. are great.

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on February 01, 2017, 12:49:48 PM
6 x Boss GT-1's will work out at about the same price too.  ;)
:-) did boss put output jacks on those? ;-)

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Rhcole on February 01, 2017, 02:57:54 PM
Root - Seventh makes it gag. Other intervals that produce beat frequencies will respond the same way. Root - Fifth, Root - Octave, etc. are great.

Nines and seconds doesn't work either
Nor fourths which is odd since fifths work

- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

Listening again for the first time since posting the examples, makes me
pissed off. Why won't Roland listen ?
Their products are great and have so much potential but
a lot is wasted by not hearing what the users have to say.

- Lydia Lunch

reingarnichts

Although I am a bit late:
Thank you for posting this great demonstration.
I was thinking of buying an SY300, but after listening to these files and reading some of the posts in this forum, I've decided against it.
I already own a GP10 and I love the GR300-model (mainly because of King Crimsons Discipline, I fear...) but I am quite annoyed with the 13-Pin-stuff (especially those delicate cables, which cost a fortune here in Europe, and I can't find decent jacks to solder my own...).
Polyphony is very much needed in the context I play my guitar-synth-sounds, and most of the stuff I do is rather dissonant...

admin

Need to order PrimovaSound GK cables from Sweden
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13234.0
PM member Codesmart

reingarnichts

Rhcole

I swear by these cables:
http://gittlerinstruments.com/product/d13-cable

AND, I swear AT Boss/Roland cables!!