New "Like Posts" Feature

Started by shawnb, October 29, 2016, 12:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

All -

We have enabled a new feature enabling you to Like posts and topics.  This has been requested in the past, so here you go!  Let us know if you like it...   

Features
- Users can like posts and topics.
- A notification system, where users can see who has liked what post in real time.
- In profile section one can see the likes given and received by a user so far.

Shawn
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

HecticArt

Cool.  I've been using the applaud button like a like feature.

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

whippinpost91850

joaobraga

chrish

I did some reading on some of the latest psycology behind the use of 'likes' features on social media forums. While there are some positive aspects for their use (everyone likes to be liked), there can also be some negitive aspects to their use (every likes to be liked and that may not happen and also may curtail discussion).

And because i have been trained to question everything, what was the reasoning behind adding this feature and is there a way to disable this user funtion?

I've also questioned the use of a 'smite' button here, isn't it time to get rid of that feature? If a person doesn't agree with an opinion expressed in a post, i would encourage proper debate and not a simple flick of the finger (smite).

admin

If "Like" upsets you that much - there are alternate forums  filled with industry experts where they lack the "Like" feature
http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-130

shawnb

chrish -

The idea is to help folks zero in on posts & topics that others have found helpful as they search & browse the forum.  Folks have requested this feature over the years.  We found a way to do it, & applied the mod. 

A challenge some forums have is keeping subjects on message & keeping things from getting too personal.  In that kind of environment, "Likes" and "smites" can be used as weapons, not guidance. 

This forum focuses on gear, patches and approaches.  We rarely get folks attacking each other or posting inappropriate material.  When this does happen, it is addressed.  So I don't think we are as open to the negativity that may be encountered elsewhere in "social media". 

We're not Facebook...   We're guitar junkies. 

Shawn
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

gumtown

Quote from: shawnb on October 31, 2016, 12:14:19 PM
chrish -

The idea is to help folks zero in on posts & topics that others have found helpful as they search & browse the forum.  Folks have requested this feature over the years.  We found a way to do it, & applied the mod. 

A challenge some forums have is keeping subjects on message & keeping things from getting too personal.  In that kind of environment, "Likes" and "smites" can be used as weapons, not guidance. 

This forum focuses on gear, patches and approaches.  We rarely get folks attacking each other or posting inappropriate material.  When this does happen, it is addressed.  So I don't think we are as open to the negativity that may be encountered elsewhere in "social media". 

Shawn
I liked that too.. and here is a smiley to add to it  :)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

Quote from: admsustainiac on October 31, 2016, 09:54:01 AM
If "Like" upsets you that much - there are alternate forums  filled with industry experts where they lack the "Like" feature
http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-130
This is a 'strawman' arument.. (It is the second time you have put up a 'strawman' argument in responce to one of my posts). It appears your conclusion is the same in both instances, 'if i don't like it, leave. And that is the problem with reaching conclusions based upon using a 'strawman'. 

No where in my post did i say that likes 'upset' me. What i said is that according to research, there may be negitive aspects to the use of 'likes' that may cause harm to some individuals and therefore maybe we as a community should discuss their use as it relates to potential harm.

Does an intellegent forum really need to require their use?

Another aspect of the research suggests that 'likes' are used to stimulate the reward center of our brains. This certainly would be a good tool to use if an entity was trying to market product.

But this forum doesn't collect ad fees from companies to market product, right? Or conduct research experiments on their members or sell or use the data that is collected from members, right? That's facebook stuff.

Personally i would op out of using them, just as i op out of using the smite button and i op out of giving people the 'finger' on the street. 

Should we not discuss human ideals here and ask questions?

Or is it all about the machines that we use and that which makes all of us so beautifully human needs to like it or leave?     

shawnb

But they're not required.  They're optional.   You are free not to use them.

There is nothing incompatible with an "intelligent" forum and a Like feature.

Elantric

If you click this link below - you can still read all recent forum posts without the "Likes"
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=recent

chrish

The CBS show, 60 minutes just did a story on how internet programmers use metrics,such as likes, to keep people, addicted to using their phones in order to access the internet, which equates to ad revenue.

A former Google employee,who was interviewed on the program, lectures on the subject and says phone use is like playing a slot machine where programmed rewards are handed out that trigger a dopamine release in the brain.

Conversely, absent a reward, ie, a like or a post responce, a chemical reaction in the brain occurs that can bring about a state of aniexity.

Elantric

But they're not required.  They're optional.   Some of us are free not to use them, or worry about them

And unlike Facebook, with targeted advertising, "Likes" in regard to VGuitarforums does not generate any revenue here

we only have this volunteer method at link below
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1751.0

chrish

Quote from: Elantric on April 12, 2017, 11:24:56 PM
But they're not required.  They're optional.   Some of us are free not to use them, or worry about them
" What,me worry?"  ;D

My posts concerning the subject are

informational.

Imo,when considering the stated use at this forum, "like" is a poor word choice considering its connotation and association with how and why it is used on the internet.

"Recomend" or "helpful" would be  more accurate words to use here at this forum.

Quote from: shawnb on October 31, 2016, 12:14:19 PM
chrish -

Shawn

admin

"Recomend" or "helpful" would be a more accurate words to use here at this forum.

A bit like complaining that a light switch  is not labeled correctly

You are missing that many folks use google translate to browse our forum in their native language , so brief short descriptions often work better across  the language barriers that exist for a large proportion of our non english speaking members 

try it
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=en&tl=ja&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vguitarforums.com%2Fsmf%2Findex.php&edit-text=