Derwentwater - acoustic piece using iOS Origin MIDI guitar 2

Started by Smash, July 08, 2016, 11:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Not sure if this should be here or in iOS examples?

Some firsts for me here: first time I've used DADGAD tuning and the first time using iOS domain for sounds and recording.

I'm on holiday in Keswick, Cumbria and staying right by the side of Derwentwater one of the larger lakes. It's very peaceful and beautiful here. Anyway, no idea why I decided to have a mess around with DADGAD but I did and this came out in the first 2 days here.

The tech stuff - Martin HD28 fitted with L R Baggs Lyric into iTrack dock with iPad Air 2 running Cubasis.

Track 1 had Bias FX inserted as inter app audio running compression and reverb.

Jam man Origin MIDI guitar 2 was running in background driving Sunrizer synth on track 2 (Alien Cave patch) and Sampletank on track 3 (String patch with longer attack and release).

All 3 tracks went down at once in a single pass.

I cut the midi tracks so the synths are introduced at specific points and a tiny bit of automation on the strings level fader.
Also tidied a couple of rogue notes that were noticeable - MG2 did pretty well all things considered, there are a lot of spurious triggers but you don't hear them due to slow attack of synthetic sounds so I left them.

Finally I only have my AKG phones up here so I have no idea what the mix is properly like!

https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups/derwentwater

sixeight

Nice.  There is nothing like a real acoustic guitar for contemplative pieces of music. So far modelling does not even come close...

Headless68

Nice - I can visualise it :-)

Got to love the portability of the rig & what it can do

Headless

Smash

Cheers guys and thanks Mr Headless for all your technical support - it's all coming together now!

Love Cubasis - I know Arturia is considered superior but as I use Cubase 5 regularly it was a breeze and so capable.

whippinpost91850

Wanted to listen to this, but here in the US track doesn't show :'(

Elantric

whippinpost91850

Yeah works on my iPhone 6+ :) And it sounds very very good, I can almost see the water

Headless68

Mrchevy

Smash, This is a great piece. I discovered a guitarist named Adrian Legg about 15 years ago. I had been on about a 10 year hiatus from guitar and my wife heard this guy somewhere and asked me if I wanted to see him play. He was doing a small coffee shop type gig here in Orlando Florida. It was a most inspiring experience. I had a chance to sit and chat with him for a bit and he is a great and humble person. His music and style inspired me in to a whole new direction of music and play as I had become somewhat bored and stuck with traditional guitar. Although in recent years, I have drifted away from this style, hearing your piece and revisiting some of his music has encouraged me to get back to this style of play. Ive been wanting to set up my acoustic again with the GR-55, so now my Sunday has a mission. Thanks for posting and take a bit to check him out, you will enjoy it.
http://adrianlegg.com/
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Smash

Yes I've heard of Adrian Legg - awesome player! I'm very flattered to hear I've had a tiny part to play in you going back to acoustic - thanks man :)

I listened for first time on my monitors today and decided to re-EQ the guitar and bring the synths up a bit so I've replaced the original soundcloud file - if you play again there's slightly less weight in the acoustic, a little more sparkle and a little more synth.

rolandvg99

Great sound, great song and great playing. The "threesome" achieved.  8) 
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner