In Your Eyes

Started by Smash, March 23, 2016, 03:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

This is actually just a demo to show how, when you're using the classic bass on bottom two strings trick, that shifting the A down an octave can produce very nice results.

COSM A is Jazz bass on bottom two strings with A shifted down an octave, COSM B is a strat. Guitar to midi output is going to Roland Sound Canvas triggering a slow attack synth pad.

It's a live sound - that's exactly how it sounds when you just pick up guitar and play. I love the low resonance of that A.

Percussion programmed obviously

And you won't believe who popped in to do guest vocals....

https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups/your-eyes-vg99

ratbastid

Gorgeous.

Is that you doing an uncanny Peter Gabriel vox impression, or are you playing with a vocal solo track?

Smash

Haha! No it's his vocal track, I built the percussion round it. Sometimes 5.1 centre channels can be a gold mine ;)

papabuss

Well done, Scott!

Can you post the patch?
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Smash

Will do - the monster box isn't here at my but will be back late tomorrow so check back Friday :)

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Smash

Don't get too excited - it's only a bass and strat patch!

What's interesting to me about the VG guitar to midi is it's absolutely hopeless at guessing the note in initial stages but once it's there it's relatively rock solid. In the demo above i was getting away with soft thumb strums at the neck and hard finger picking at the bridge but only because I'd take the attack off the synth sound so you only get to hear it essentially after the VG has made up it's mind what note I'm playing. the other thing on this demo is theres quite a long release time on the synth pad sound so it covers and smooths (hides) things quite nicely

Smash

There you go - but remember a large part of the sound is the midi synth.

Smash

Easy to play...

! No longer available

Interesting tip: On the Sound Canvas I reduce the velocity sensitivity down to about 35 and then up the velocity offset to about 80-90. it's kinda like a midi compression effect. it allows me to thumb strum the chords in the verse without to much guitar coming through and then pick up the guitar sound in the bridges/chorus through heavier picking. I have the VG99 midi feel set on 3.