Line6 is unveiling "Helix"...

Started by guitarno, June 11, 2015, 12:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

germanicus

Helix has killed my GAS for anything else. So much so that when I heard about 2.0, I realize I hadn't updated to the prior few Firmware releases either.

I think I may sell my vg99 at this point.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Elantric

the mute gap on patch to patch changes and the sputtering  / crackles on USB Audio remain hurdles for me   

HecticArt

Is anybody finding a better deal than $1499 for a new Helix?
The usual places are at the same price.

Elantric

as always for best price

pick up the phone during business hours and talk verbally and ask "whats your best price?"

Often you can get $150 off Helix MSRP simply doing that.

vtgearhead

You can also negotiate down by offering to pay by cashier's check up front.  Even large operations like to save the credit card surcharge when they can.

HecticArt

I haven't found any in stock in town yet, but haven't checked all of the dealers yet.
I've found that it's easier to get a break in the price when stores have something sitting there ready to unload.

That said, I know a shop that isn't a authorized dealer, but could probably get get it. Its legit stuff, he networks with a couple of other independent shops, and they help each other out. If he can get one at a better price, it just might take a little longer.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24050856/

So I just updated from 2.12 to 2.21. Prior to updating tonight I had been been spending 15-20 minute blocks on and off throughout the last day or so experimenting with running fully direct in side by side comparisons with my favorite amp. All that backstory to say - I'm really, really clear on what what I was liking and what challenges I was having with nailing down the tone in comparison to my amp.

It could be a placebo effect but it "seems" like 2.21 firmware is a bit "friendlier" to work with. I reloaded my same preset I was working on and it just seems like it's easier to get a handle on the high end without any "brittleness". Also, it doesn't seem quite as jagged on the OD edges from what I was hearing before the update. I was able to use less of a high cut and it still sounded/felt great. Switching to a different amp model it was just quicker and easier to dial in. Again, it just sounded better with each one I tried.

So, did Line 6 do some optimization/tweaks in this update that would explain this? Whatever it was (or wasn't) - please keep it up!!

Anyone else hearing it as well? Pretty sure I'm not crazy...

jm345

Quote from: admsustainiac on May 03, 2017, 07:25:17 AM
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24050856/

So I just updated from 2.12 to 2.21. Prior to updating tonight I had been been spending 15-20 minute blocks on and off throughout the last day or so experimenting with running fully direct in side by side comparisons with my favorite amp. All that backstory to say - I'm really, really clear on what what I was liking and what challenges I was having with nailing down the tone in comparison to my amp.

It could be a placebo effect but it "seems" like 2.21 firmware is a bit "friendlier" to work with. I reloaded my same preset I was working on and it just seems like it's easier to get a handle on the high end without any "brittleness". Also, it doesn't seem quite as jagged on the OD edges from what I was hearing before the update. I was able to use less of a high cut and it still sounded/felt great. Switching to a different amp model it was just quicker and easier to dial in. Again, it just sounded better with each one I tried.

So, did Line 6 do some optimization/tweaks in this update that would explain this? Whatever it was (or wasn't) - please keep it up!!

Anyone else hearing it as well? Pretty sure I'm not crazy...

I think the 2.20 update was the most significant of the recent updates. Yes, I think there was some improved tweaking all around. Some of the effects seem to sound better/more natural also.

Frank Ritchotte

Quote from: jm345 on May 03, 2017, 12:15:19 PM
I think the 2.20 update was the most significant of the recent updates. Yes, I think there was some improved tweaking all around. Some of the effects seem to sound better/more natural also.

We optimize and improve the FW on every update. Some more than others but generally we do improve the HX engine every time we release an update. We are currently focusing on Native and the new editor and once those are out in the wild we will be doing some more very cool stuff...:)

Headless68

Well, after the shortest ownership period of anything I've owned ...the Axe FX is gone (after a day! ) as I found it uninspiring (!) nice amps horrible user interface, 'ok' effects
& bought a Helix - which I have enjoyed more in the first 30 mins of playing than the day spent on the Axe FX
Just shows you - it's all about your own perspective

Smash

There's a lot to be said for an easy GUI!

jassy

Quote from: Headless68 on June 18, 2017, 12:48:21 PM
Well, after the shortest ownership period of anything I've owned ...the Axe FX is gone (after a day! ) as I found it uninspiring (!) nice amps horrible user interface, 'ok' effects
& bought a Helix - which I have enjoyed more in the first 30 mins of playing than the day spent on the Axe FX
Just shows you - it's all about your own perspective
Wow, You are a really fast man making complex decisions! I envy you.
On the contrary I need several weeks to know a complex device like the ones you mentioned and decide about it...

Headless68

Spent 6 hours on the Axe FX
Sound quality & amp simulation were excellent
Programming presets was clunky
The effects didn't blow me away
I want flexibility and I create a lot of presets so workflow comes into my decision
But, I actually don't see or hear why the Axe FX is more than twice the cost of helix & that's even before I add 3rd party IR's
:-)

Smash

Careful - Tony McKenzie incurred the wrath of the Fractalati with careless talk of over ratedness!! :D

(I took one look at that front panel after you bought it and thought - nah!)

Headless68

It has its place - if you want the closest simulation of a valve amp it's probably got the gold star there
I personally want more than that & would compromise on that capability (but not that much really)

admin

Quote from: Smash on June 19, 2017, 01:30:50 AM
Careful - Tony McKenzie incurred the wrath of the Fractalati with careless talk of over ratedness!! :D

Truth is Tony McKenzie's motives were a bit self serving  - he only began to bash the Fractal after Cliff & company found out Tony had registered http://www.fractalaudio.co.uk/  & http://axe-fx-ii.com ( or equivalent ) as a future site for Tony to sell his future Axe FX patches and the real Fractal company was concerned with Tony misleading the public with a non authorized use of the Fractal name  :  http://www.fractalaudio.co.uk/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/interesting-review.44106/

http://www.tonymckenzie.com/axe-fx-II.htm

and Fractal has since FCC/CE certified their products

the Axe FX is deep - most spend time before the gig to create working patches using the Fractal PC Editors

Headless68

Yes, I was using the axe edit program but just found it uninspiring & clunky - preferred the Vg99 editor or even the vg99 front panel :-)
The Helix feels much better from a work flow perspective - I don't use any out of the box presets

I also tried a few of the patches online (Fractal) but the experience just left me cold - it wasn't a learning curve thing, it just wasn't for me & I realised it very quickly

Next task - integrate MG2 / iPad into the fx loop for guitar synth fun :-)

AlakaLazlo

I've had my Helix for about a month now.  I'm way beyond satisfied with the purchase. I went through the presets just to get a feel for it, and within a few hours, I was building my own very complex patches. The editor is quite good, and the capability to use IRs takes this thing to an all new level of studio functionality. I have a Variax 700 with a GK3, but I'm working on a project to replace that with a JTV with some form of improved midi capability.  Between the Helix, an FCB1010, an AX50 my guitar(s), and my analog synths, I'm really looking forward to starting my next project.
Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

Panthersn

I decided to give Helix another shot.  Firmware 2.XX is great as well as Sigma BadCat & Morgan IRs.   Has anyone had issues with running the unit direct to FOH?  Cleans sounds are great however, some of the gain patches (Scott Minch's Andy Timmons patch & Satch "always" patch sound killer at home but sound fizzy and disappear in the mix.  I have turned global eq off and cut a little of presence as well as some treble with a little mid boost.

Headless68

I spent last weekend building all the patches I need for the cover band - played through this week at medium vol & I'm really happy - Next saturday I have full band rehearsal so that will show
The initial patches I tried out were great just too much boost db thats all
I am still running into two Cube 60's in stereo (as I did with the VG99 & Bias FX ) - they sound better than ever, neutral EQ on the JC channel
I can honestly say this is the best sound I have had full stop

aliensporebomb

Line6 visits my local Guitar Center tonight to show off the Helix LT - we'll see how that goes as I plan on attending just because sometimes seeing a manufacturers demo can do a lot to show you what a device can do.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mordecai

Cool they just release the software Native version. Going to start my 15-day trial tomorrow and see how it is.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-aka-jiveturkeys-delicious-taste-of-crow.1917636/
JiveTurkey wrote>
So. A bit of crow eating is in order. I have avoided posting till now so as to give myself some time to wrap my head around things. Whether I took enough time, well; who knows
:bonk

Be forewarned that long post is, indeed; long :drown

Last week; a generous forumite saw me remarking about Native (and the possibility that I might not be getting the full current-gen Helix experience with it). They offered to loan their Helix to me. With the idea that I might like it more, given the FW updates and additions that have happened since 2.2x-whatever when I last tried it.
:beer:beer:beer:aok

I have been pretty vocally anti-Helix kool-aid. I admit that freely. It really isn't anti-Helix itself so much as just anti-mob mentality. Maybe if I was here during the great Fractal migration years; I might be more used to it or have a different (not-Digi [​IMG] )POV. Who knows? Between my contrarian mindset and a not so good first go round; I had some ground to cover to go from fairly negative to positive side of the Helix argument.

Had a few blunders and hiccups getting going (again) initially but most of those items (other than one I will momentarily harp on to follow) are all moot points for me now. I am still (as evidenced in my "How do I do this" thread) struggling with the signal chain. Not intuitive for me at all. I definitely favor the Fractal grid style where everything is linear and I am not dragging and dropping 2a, 2b, curved arrows blah blah blah. Not judging, just personal preference. Still a work in progress for me on that end. Helix is definitely the Mac in this relationship vs. Fractal Windows.

All that crap out of the way....wow. I am not sure what they did on the latest updates from 2.2ish on to 2.5; but they made some SERIOUS improvements. The first go round with the Helix was probably one of the most disappointing experiences I have ever had. Fuzzy flubby tone. Just not good. I could not get anything out of FRFR that sounded worth a d@mn. This was getting compared to tones I was getting on old Boss gear, Atomic, Kemper, heck even my SY-300 "amp" tones.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18688.0

This go round; (Helix w/ 2.50 firmware) sounded awesome. There is maybe a little less depth and clarity on the profiles that I work with (compared to the Kemper and maybe it is just my previously referenced feeble mind); but the form factor and everything really is just seriously good. Especially when ran through my Kemper power amp and guitar cab. The clincher was running it through the power amp and guitar cab combo. Just like I thought it would be. Sounded superb! My Marshall template I have been using is pretty much the equivalent of my Mercuriall Spark experience. Which was your basic pants-poop from the first note. That is saying a lot coming from me as I hold that plug in and it's PUNISHING Marshall tone in the highest regard and use it as a definite benchmark.

Took the Helix to practice last night and let my other guitar player try it as well as try through another power amp. Ran it through his solid state Orange power section. Sounded amazing there too (as well as removing any sort of lingering Kemper related bias). Ran one of the Vox variants through it and it sounded soooooooo, sooooooo good. Performed like a champ.

I am going to wrap it up but Line 6; you done good, Kid :dude I am all for admitting I was wrong. Tones are there in spades, switching and configuration is there in spades, form factor is killer. Good work dudes! Now go get that synth block upgraded :hide

Also; bonus note to Kemper. Get your f***ing sh!t together already and make an editor already! :FM:bitch:bkw :mob
After working with HX Edit for a week; it's tough going back to that browse knob :cry:

Elantric

Explains why online gear reviews for DSP Modelers are worthless without stating "what firmware revision" was used during the evaluation !