Why so many Windows users here?

Started by MusicOverGear, October 27, 2014, 05:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

I use both.  And, just to be clear I also am an MCP, have my MCSE, MCSA and CompTIA Security+ certifications.

For music production and much of what I do I'm using MacOS based machines but my day gig is a systems administrator for windows machines.  My i7 5k iMac has a boot camped main partition and I mainly use it to run some apps that just don't exist on the MacOS side of things. 

In the past I've had various MacOS, Windows and Linux (Red Hat, Xandros, Ubuntu etc) machines.  Phone wise I'm in the IOS camp due to all of the softsynths available.   

In the most distant past I was using two Amiga 1000 machines with AmigaDOS for my music productions (my first solo records were recorded on Amiga systems!) - that was an interesting operating system for the time.  Prior to that I was using Commodore 64 and 128 machine and prior to that I was using teletypes and CRTS to access local timesharing systems!  I've even spun up BeOS systems and played around with those to see how they would work for music production.

I've used iTunes as a music sorting/database program for my own productions for years - I have used it on both the MacOS and Windows sides and most of the problems seem to occur on the Windows side.  Not sure if that's intentional or not.

I have other sorting methods and even still have a copy of WinAmp that works great still. 

I'm thinking that as far as Windows goes even though I'm running Windows 10 on the boot camp partition I prefer Windows 7 but the setup nightmare for a modern mac machine is considerable for the older versions.  I'll just eventually build my own machine again of which I've built several.

Why do I use all these different platforms?  How can I have a comprehensive knowledge of what I need to function in the modern business environment if I don't have that knowledge and experience. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Brak(E)man

I started on Atari to and went straight to Mac , there was a compabilty between the Atari and mac and the conservatory where I went had them so... I've never managed to wrap my head around the pc system. My brother who works in radio had pc at work and also at home for 20 y or so but switch over to the dark side a year ago and got a iMac.
During all that time since 95 I used macs for recording, mixing mastering I've had one crash
a HD , my brother had to reinstall everything three four times a year and he's very computer savvy.

Also the fact tat I've only worked with music made my choice very easy.

When I have to look at a pc or an android I get the shingles
but I guess we're all different

A refurbished Mac isn't very expensive though
to get the same performance on a pc you pay about the same.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

I started using a punch card terminal and handed the cards to the folks behind the locked door where some sort of large  , room size IBM machine existed.

then i took a  code writing course, wasn't to excited about it and wrote off computers. That was mid to late 70's

Flash forward to the turn of the century, and i purchased a windows me system in order to run calkwalk pro audio 9 with and ardvark card interface.

Now I use a windows 7 laptop with Reaper. I'd still use the me system except it causes severe eye strain, similar to using my flip phone .

So the reason for using windows over mac and having no smart phone, is because i don't want to spend to money on that type of computer stuff ;-)

alexmcginness

Quote from: chrish on February 25, 2017, 07:40:32 AM
I started using a punch card terminal and handed the cards to the folks behind the locked door where some sort of large  , room size IBM machine existed.

then i took a  code writing course, wasn't to excited about it and wrote off computers. That was mid to late 70's

Flash forward to the turn of the century, and i purchased a windows me system in order to run calkwalk pro audio 9 with and ardvark card interface.

Now I use a windows 7 laptop with Reaper. I'd still use the me system except it causes severe eye strain, similar to using my flip phone .

So the reason for using windows over mac and having no smart phone, is because i don't want to spend to money on that type of computer stuff ;-)

I started with Fortran IV in school. Loads of fun.

Im like you, no smart phone. I do have a phone... its hardwired to the wall in my kitchen and it has one useful function.... IT MAKES AND RECEIVES PHONE CALLS!!! Try to get a mobile that does just that. ;-)

Ive thought about an Iphone but only for the camera. If it makes calls...bonus. But the problem is... Its Apple. I have a mac that I use primarily as a paperweight now. If the Iphone is anything like an Ipad Ill need one with a more high impact screen as Ive almost poked a hole in my wifes Ipad screen attempting to get it to do something "simple" 
   W7 is the easiest OS for music Ive come across. Hopefully by the time they no longer support it W10 will be fully supported for all my software and hardware.

Which OS is the "best" The one that works for you IMO. If youre having problems with yours and youre thinking of going over to the other side, from my experience in trying to change, I can tell you its time consuming, expensive and not worth it it. Theres a steep learning curve either way, and niggles in both camps OS. Learn how to fix and adapt to the issues youre facing on your current OS. Time and money are what youll save and the changeover is only gonna be exchanging one set of issues for another.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

chrish

Quote from: alexmcginness on February 25, 2017, 07:57:30 AM
I started with Fortran IV in school. Loads of fun.

Im like you, no smart phone. I do have a phone... its hardwired to the wall in my kitchen and it has one useful function.... IT MAKES AND RECEIVES PHONE CALLS!!! Try to get a mobile that does just that. ;-)

Ive thought about an Iphone but only for the camera. If it makes calls...bonus. But the problem is... Its Apple. I have a mac that I use primarily as a paperweight now. If the Iphone is anything like an Ipad Ill need one with a more high impact screen as Ive almost poked a hole in my wifes Ipad screen attempting to get it to do something "simple" 
   W7 is the easiest OS for music Ive come across. Hopefully by the time they no longer support it W10 will be fully supported for all my software and hardware.

Which OS is the "best" The one that works for you IMO. If youre having problems with yours and youre thinking of going over to the other side, from my experience in trying to change, I can tell you its time consuming, expensive and not worth it it. Theres a steep learning curve either way, and niggles in both camps OS. Learn how to fix and adapt to the issues youre facing on your current OS. Time and money are what youll save and the changeover is only gonna be exchanging one set of issues for another.
well stated. I think the learning curve is why people stay with what they have.

I also think that the computer-human interface is still in it's dark age. That may be the  reason why windows 10 is set up to spy on it's users, ie, to give some insight into how humans interact with the machine.

Using a mouse or a finger touchscreen to turn a virtual knob is not a useful interface, imo. However it does create a market for control surfaces.

if i had to do it all over again, i would have purchased the purpose built digital recorder over the me-calkwalk system.

At least i printed out the over 400 page calkwalk manuel. 400 pages just to learn how turn a knob, push a button or move a slider.

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Hurricane

In my case , bad luck .

Used to have mac , burglars wanted it more though I guess , left this one I'm using behind ,
what a burn besides the burglary .

I am stuck with a O.K HP touch screen , it's a 64 bit touch screen Windows ,
I'm not happy with it but , I'm making due with what I have for now till ....

EZ :

HR