Intermittent USB/TB2 Connections

Started by Vaultnaemsae, December 16, 2017, 03:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaultnaemsae

I've been in contact with Fishman CS about these issues and they're always helpful but we can't really find an answer to these issues so I thought I'd just pose these Qs to the brains trust. Thanks.

1.   I had some issues with using the FTP receiver on a USB hub i.e. frequent 'Searching for receiver' messages/intermittent connection. I was informed that I should reserve a USB port for the receiver only. I took that on board but I only have two USB ports on my computer and need other devices to connect also (Audio Interface, Ext. Sample Drive, iLok, etc.). However, my laptop does have two Thunderbolt ports (Mid 2015 MacBook Pro) so I got a hold of a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adaptor. The idea was to have a dedicated port for the receiver so as to avoid reception drop outs. The receiver on the TB/USB adaptor performs much better than when it's on the USB hub (maybe 1 dropouts in the time that 10-15 would occur on the hub), but it still drops out periodically. The obvious solution is to switch devices and use the TB port for the device I usually have on the other USB port but that is a bit tricky ergonomically with my setup. I'm wondering if anybody might know of any work around for this issue.

2.   I was testing an IK Multimedia Blueboard with the FTP app. I tried to use it for sostenuto/sustain commands as described in the FTP documentation. CC66 has a curious effect. When a CC66 message is sent it causes a temporary (and short) disconnect with the receiver. It then reconnects. I tried this with the FTP receiver both on the USB ports on my laptop and also on the Thunderbolt port. Both gave the same result. I have been advised that this is not to do with wireless interference. So, again I wonder if there may be any solution to this issue. I posted about this in the bug section before and it was suggested maybe it's only a problem with my particular computer/hardware.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

admin

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on December 16, 2017, 03:40:57 AM
I've been in contact with Fishman CS about these issues and they're always helpful but we can't really find an answer to these issues so I thought I'd just pose these Qs to the brains trust. Thanks.

1.   I had some issues with using the FTP receiver on a USB hub i.e. frequent 'Searching for receiver' messages/intermittent connection. I was informed that I should reserve a USB port for the receiver only. I took that on board but I only have two USB ports on my computer and need other devices to connect also (Audio Interface, Ext. Sample Drive, iLok, etc.). However, my laptop does have two Thunderbolt ports (Mid 2015 MacBook Pro) so I got a hold of a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adaptor. The idea was to have a dedicated port for the receiver so as to avoid reception drop outs. The receiver on the TB/USB adaptor performs much better than when it's on the USB hub (maybe 1 dropouts in the time that 10-15 would occur on the hub), but it still drops out periodically. The obvious solution is to switch devices and use the TB port for the device I usually have on the other USB port but that is a bit tricky ergonomically with my setup. I'm wondering if anybody might know of any work around for this issue.

2.   I was testing an IK Multimedia Blueboard with the FTP app. I tried to use it for sostenuto/sustain commands as described in the FTP documentation. CC66 has a curious effect. When a CC66 message is sent it causes a temporary (and short) disconnect with the receiver. It then reconnects. I tried this with the FTP receiver both on the USB ports on my laptop and also on the Thunderbolt port. Both gave the same result. I have been advised that this is not to do with wireless interference. So, again I wonder if there may be any solution to this issue. I posted about this in the bug section before and it was suggested maybe it's only a problem with my particular computer/hardware.

Can you try disabling Wi-Fi ?

Also review this article for all maxOS Audio users ( not just ProTools) 
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2017/9/18/macos-1013-high-sierra-pro-audio-compatibility-update

Vaultnaemsae

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, Admsustainiac. I have tried disabling WiFi. It seems to help a little by reducing dropouts but does not solve the issue.

I also read that article well before updating to High Sierra. All software I use seems to be good to go and nothing is failing. It was an issue with Sierra too so I don't think it has anything to do with this OS specifically.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae