VG-99 - cult of personality

Started by EJROCKS, August 13, 2008, 07:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EJROCKS

My take on a great song and tone.

RushFan

I can't wait to get home to try this one out.  Here's an interesting bit from an interview with Vernon Reid about the sound on that album:

"Cult of Personality" was done three different times with three different guitars. I used two ESPs -- a Strat-style and a Tele-style -- and a Fender

...we used the old analog dinosaur setup. I used a Pro Co Rat distortion, a Korg multi-effects box -- with compression, chorus, flanging, and overdrive -- and an ADA Digitizer for additional chorusing. I also used a Boss Digital Delay/Sampler and an Alesis Microverb. We miked close, in the middle, and in the corner of a really big room. We had the "great wall of amps": a Carvin, a Dean Markley, a Vox, a Marshall head, and a Fender Showman head.  It averaged two or three amps per song, pretty much."

EJROCKS

damn thats kinda scary.   My attempt may come up short but it sounds pretty good with my
set up.   Thanks for the info and the feedback rushfan,  its always appreciated and if u wanna
put your spin on it plz do.  Any improvement is welcome.   I cant nail the solo so I just play
really fast in the same key as the song.  His fingers must hurt like hell after that one.lol

RushFan

Yeah man that's totally a great tone! Love it. I don't think I could get it any closer myself.
And I'm pretty sure that Reid is the only one who can nail that solo...heh.

EJROCKS

glad u like it.   Its kinda hard to judge since we all have different
equipment.  IE guitars and amps etc.   rock on!!!!

vanceg

And I know for a fact that Vernon does have a VG-99.... Maybe he doesn't need to tote that rig around anymore now that he can get this patch ;-)

Vance

Quote from: RushFan on August 14, 2008, 06:35:01 PM
I can't wait to get home to try this one out.  Here's an interesting bit from an interview with Vernon Reid about the sound on that album:

"Cult of Personality" was done three different times with three different guitars. I used two ESPs -- a Strat-style and a Tele-style -- and a Fender

...we used the old analog dinosaur setup. I used a Pro Co Rat distortion, a Korg multi-effects box -- with compression, chorus, flanging, and overdrive -- and an ADA Digitizer for additional chorusing. I also used a Boss Digital Delay/Sampler and an Alesis Microverb. We miked close, in the middle, and in the corner of a really big room. We had the "great wall of amps": a Carvin, a Dean Markley, a Vox, a Marshall head, and a Fender Showman head.  It averaged two or three amps per song, pretty much."

EJROCKS

wow nice,  thank you.   If Vernon used my patch Id need some compensation.lol
No,  Id just be beaming if he liked it.     ;D

RushFan

For all we know, he lurks here amongst us. 8)

Elantric

EJROCKS

I haven't been on the forum for a while but came across this.  Its very cool to think Vernon Reid may have tried out my cult patch. lol  Awesome!!!   Wish I could get his take on it.

Kevin M

Patches?  Vernon Reid don't need no stinkin patches!  :-)