GR-55 Bass - FreeBird - Lynard Skynard

Started by gumtown, February 27, 2011, 02:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

This moment in time gives me the opportunity to learn FreeBird by Lynard Skynard, so here is the very first song based patch i have made on the GR-55.
Initial tone is PCM 1 & 2 with the keyboard intro, and the EXP Pedal Switch kicks in the modeled J-Bass tone.
The EXP pedal does the PCM tone volume, and the CTL pedal toggles the PCM tones to Orchestral and Ensemble Strings for the later verse.

I hope it's useful, it was quickly done with headphones on.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vakmere

Wont open, you have another way of me hearing this?

A2theT

Its not a sound file that you open and listen to.  Its a patch for the GR-55. 
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

gandolf

Hi Gumtown,

I really like this patch...(Freebird).

And its given me a clue on how to solve a problem i was having: that is: i have a song that uses 4 patch's, but obviously we only have 3 peddles on the floor.... and changing banks while playing is not easy....

So i was researching midi pedals, ..... but then discovered in this patch you use the CTL pedal to switch  PCM sounds!

I've looked at the structure of your patch, and see that you've got some settings in the "Assigns" for assign 1 and assign 2. and also setting for CTL control in the "peddle control" for the patch....

my sounds were loosly based on the presets: "Deep ensemble", and wanted to switch to "High Strings".

so i tried copying you setting, but my best result was that i end up adding tones to the patch sound, but not switching...

Can you point me in the right direction / provide some clues on this function?

Cheers!

gumtown

The importaint part is in the Assigns to switch PCM tones, the Target minimum and Maximum settings, and don't forget to make sure the assign is switched 'on'.

The initial patch setting for PCM synth tone is as follows

PCM Synth A***********
[Synth Tone] = 092 Grand Pipes

and the assign 1 Target minimum setting aligns with this

Assign 1***********
[Assign1: On/Off] = On
[Assign1: Target] = PCM1 Tone Number
[Assign1: Min] = 092 Grand Pipes
[Assign1: Max] = 343 Strings 1
[Assign1: Source] = CTRL PDL
[Assign1: Source Mode ] = Toggle

same with PCM 2 and assign 2

PCM Synth B***********
[Synth Tone] = 095 Church Org 3

Assign 2***********
[Assign2: On/Off] = On
[Assign2: Target] = PCM2 Tone Number
[Assign2: Min] = 095 Church Org 3
[Assign2: Max] = 354 TapeStrings1
[Assign2: Source] = CTRL PDL
[Assign2: Source Mode ] = Toggle

The composite sound (what you hear) is made from both these PCM synth tones mixed together and they are toggled with the CTL pedal.

In another patch i also toggle the PCM synth levels if one tone is of a different level
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Realize Gumtown is a Bass player, but this same patch could be modified to suit Guitar

gumtown

The same patches copy over bass mode to guitar mode (and viseversa) the only difference is the modeling tone section is not the same (but patches from both modes still contain modeliing data from both guitar and bass modes), and the PCM tones shift one octave (automatically).

gandolf

hi gumtown,

Do mean that i copy a guitar patch that uses a COSM that we don't have normally in bass mode, and the COSM comes accross ?....or am u getting overly exited again....

cheers.

Elantric

Remember the GR-55 can boot up in two operating modes

Guitar Mode

Bass Mode

Once you assign the GR-55 operating Mode type, it will remain in the currently assigned operating mode on every boot.
Out of the box, the GR-55 ships from the factory in Guitar operating Mode, and many guitarist GR-55 owners forget it has a Bass operating Mode.

What Gumtown is saying that if your GR-55 is in Guitar mode, if you load his Freebird Patch, all the careful Piano and Hammond B3 Organ tones will work as advertised, except the COSM Modeled Instrument type Tone might have to be edited to another type that suits your needs. For example If you are playing the Organ Parts using the GR-55, and also playing rhythm guitar on Freebird, you will want to change the GR-55 COSM Modeling guitar type to a Strat, and re-save the patch.

This is Gumtown's GR-55 Freebird Patch as loaded in the GR-55 Floorboard Editor - observe the "COSM Modeling" is "Electric Bass"

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3299.0;attach=3092

gandolf

Oh well. ...I was wistfully dreaming he might have found a magical way to get some more " guitar " COSM for us bass players to fool around with...

gumtown

Quote from: gandolf on March 24, 2013, 05:53:04 AM
Oh well. ...I was wistfully dreaming he might have found a magical way to get some more " guitar " COSM for us bass players to fool around with...
Sorry, It is not possible to get more than what the GR-55 firmware provides.  ;)