Godin XTSA

Started by kennisrussell, May 17, 2011, 02:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dporto

Ah...will do - Thanks for the info! - done... hopefully I'll at least hear back from these guys since the "info@" didn't do anything for me ::)

dporto

One more thing while I'm thinking about it... While I had the guitar apart to repair the cracks in the neck, I figured I'd open the control cavity just to check out the condition of things. It didn't look like it had ever been opened up and everything was very tidy in there - though there are  many wires/connections it's not a mess and it's fairly easy to see what's going on in there. One question I have: There are two leads (gray covers) coming from the two humbuckers (I think/fairly sure) that have two thin wires (1 green 1 white) that are unconnected and shrink wrapped (to avoid shorting I assume). Are these coil taps, just not connected to switches from factory? If not, what are they? Anyone...anyone...Bueller?

Elantric

Post pics?

My 2011 xTsa control cavity looks like this and I don't have such cables.

But with any xTSA, realize early 1999 era Godins used LR Baggs electronics, then a few different versions of RMC Polydrive PC boards
Pay attention to the date code on the RMC PC board,
110818 = 2011 August 18
as these latest RMC Polydrive Preamp boards for current production Godin xTsa and LGXT/SA don't require the GR55 OPT01 low frequency blocking filter

dporto

I'll post some pix later on - don't have access now. FWIW my guitar is a '09 green pc board, so earlier than yours. That being said, the gray wire in the photo is one of the ones I'm talking about - I'm pretty sure it comes from one of the humbuckers. If you look closely just under/at the bottom of the zip tie that's bundling a bunch of your wires together, I think you can just see a glimpse of a green and a white wire - they're very thin gauge and they're contained within the larger gray pickup wire. On mine they were sitting down below that whole buch of wires, but one of the ends was sticking out - which piqued my interest...

Elantric

I suspect they are coil taps for the humbuckers.

dporto

Yeah, that was my first thought as well - was sort of wondering whether anyone had bothered hooking them up...

dporto

Also, as you can see, it's an older board...

dporto

I got to use the xtSA in a live situation with the outputs split  - electric to pedal board/tube amp, acoustic to P.A./monitors. Wow, really nice..easy to blend, great sound. Can't wait to get a synth module for this thing... Also found the whammy bar in a "secret" pocket on the gig bag... :o ;D

dporto

FWIW Godin (Patrick and Michel) did get back to me today with info for the bar, and said one could be ordered through their service dept. by sending them my serial #, address and $11.00 (wow, how reasonable is that?)... Thanks again Elantric for pointing me to the proper contacts.

motetito

At last

Elantric, yesterday i installed the Graph Tech Black Tusq XL Slotted 1 23/32 in my godin lgxt but i had to cut off a few millimeters couse it was really high so now i have 1/64 inch from the top of the first fret to the first string and 2/64 inch from the top of the fisrt fret and the six string. Do you made the same or my guitar have a problem? now i feel more confortable.  :D
Menos es más...Tocá con el corazón.

Elantric

QuoteElantric, yesterday i installed the Graph Tech Black Tusq XL Slotted 1 23/32 in my godin lgxt but i had to cut off a few millimeters couse it was really high so now i have 1/64 inch from the top of the first fret to the first string and 2/64 inch from the top of the fisrt fret and the six string. Do you made the same or my guitar have a problem? now i feel more confortable.

Thats typical

The Graphtech Nuts  ( Graph Tech Black Tusq XL Slotted (1 23/32" inch width) # PT-6114-00 Tremolo Nut) is perfect width for Godin xTSA but the height requires work and effort to get it just right for your specific instrument . - I typically employ a sanding block first to remove a bit of height from the bottom of the Graphtech Nut, then super glue it in place, then  employ Warmoth Nut Files ( which BTW are identical to 1977 Ibanez Nut Files I used daily at Valley Arts for final setup ) to do the final nut height  / action setup adjustment for the specific instrument and string gauge. I currently use Fender Bullet Pure Nickel .010-.52"

I admit I take for granted that I worked full time for 8 years setting up guitars for nearly every major LA session player - so many aspects of guitars mods / Nut setups  / strobe intonation I take as trivial may easily appear to be better identified as skilled luthier type work.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0

Buy this "bible" below and learn to set up your own guitars to your liking

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Electric-Guitar-Great/dp/0879309989/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394079908&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=make+your+guitar+play+greayt+dan
How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great - Second Edition Paperback
by Dan Erlewine (Author)

motetito

ok thanx a lot. I was learning with John LeVan's Guitar Care, Setup & Maintenance book. but i will try this book too.
Menos es más...Tocá con el corazón.

Dan1948

Hello all,
I have a Godin XTsa with a bad Hi E RMC Piezo/saddle that needs to be replaced. I'm wondering what a fair price would be to get it replaced. Any ideas out there?
Thanks,
Dan
You ain't to old if you can Rock & Roll!

nervoteso

i like godin sa guitars cos for their 3way mode(electric, acoustic, sinth), which is better for gr-55? are there tracking issues with lgxsa or xtsa?
thanks

Elantric

Set up your Godin LGXSA , xTSA using the suggested RMC settings here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7527.msg53452#msg53452

read
Jim Williams Roland GR-55 RMC / Graphtech Piezo setup suggestions
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3965.msg53317#msg53317

and

GR-55 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

dporto

This is probably your best bet... info@rmcmusic.com  Good luck

Elantric

More details on setting up the GR-55 to track best with a Godin xTSA is here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7527.0

MrEd

Hello all

I am considering a Godin xtSA guitar and I would like comments or opinions from those who own one. I would be using it with the GR-55. I really like the acoustic sound I've heard on demos along with the other capabilities but there isn't one in my area that I can try out. I currently have a GC-1 that works very well with the GR-55 and I must say exceeds my expectations but I did like what I heard from the Godin demos.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Elantric

MrEd

Elantric

Uploaded on Sep 13, 2011
This is a review of the Godin XTSA 3-Voice Guitar. I've owned it for about 10 months and wanted to show y'all how great of an instrument it is and how incredibly versatile it is. It is an electric, acoustic, and synth guitar all in one. Also, check out my review of the Roland GR-55 that is a great companion to the Godin XTSA.

jazzkid74

I have a question for Elantric. Why did you choose the Graph Tech PT-6114-00 (1 23/32" inch width) , when the nut width of the XTSA is listed as 1 11/16" in the manual? My guess would be that the PT-6116-00 (1 11/16 inch width) would fit better.

Elantric

QuoteWhy did you choose the Graph Tech PT-6114-00 (1 23/32" inch width)

This was based upon actual real world measurements of my genuine 2012 Godin xtSA - not a published spec which is often not the case with the real production guitar.

nelcatjar

Regarding Godin XTA board... I have a 2003 board (blue) in my guitar.

Does anyone know if the 2003 board can be replaced with the latest version so the RMC filter would not be needed?
Q: What's the difference between a musician and a large pizza?
A:  A large pizza can feed a family of 4.

Brian Moore i88.13, Godin xtSA, GR-55, Boss ME-70.

Elantric

Contact Godin - but I figure it will be cost prohibitive.