VG-99 - Metallica - Battery

Started by RushFan, July 13, 2008, 10:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RushFan

This patch is kind of weird and experimental. Weird because it's a nylon guitar through the whole thing. Even the parts of the song with distortion. It seems to work okay, oddly enough. You might get a better electric guitar sound if you just use this patch for the acoustic parts, and a separate patch for the rest of the song. But I was experimenting and got a bit carried away.  8)

There are four layered acoustic guitars in the intro of the song, and this tries to do three of them...the harmonized 3rd parts. Play the lowest part of the hamorny the whole time. You just have to listen to the song to see where you'd turn them on.  It requires a bit of dancing to turn off both harmonies in time for the main riff, but it's do-able.

FC-300 CTL 1 - turns on the first harmony for the acoustic part
FC-300 CTL 2 - turns on the second harmony. Keep the first one on as well.
FC-300 EXP 1 Switch - turns on the amp (or CTRL 1 on the VG-99)
FC-300 EXP 2 Switch - turns on the wah
FC-300 EXP 2 - wah pedal
GK-3 Volume - volume

Hope this makes sense and is worthy!

A2theT

Hey Rushfan!
This is really cool and works perfectly.  I'm gonna play with it and tweak it a bit tonight.
What I like about this is the fact that it exploits the VG-99s flexable programming.
The guitar sound is a little off for me but maybe thats just the difference between our setups.
What is your rig config?   Mine is an Ibanez with the GK-3 into the VG-99 and out to a Crate Powerblock + Marshall 4x12

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

RushFan

Glad you like it. As I said it's kind of experimental. The guitar sound itself isn't ideal to me yet either. Please do upload your tweak to this thread if you can improve on it.
I made it on my Jackson with a GK-3 through VG-99 and headphones. Living in an apartment sucks as a guitarist. I tend to spend more time on guitar after midnight due to working nights. So it's usually headphones for me.

A2theT

Ok, I took your patch and played it through a spectrum analyzer and EQ'd it as close to the album version as I could..
I had to use all three EQ's (guitar, FXa, + Mixer EQ) to get the right sound and notch certain frequencies.  :-[Sadly this took me all friggin night to do and its still a little bit off but its the string tone thats difficult to replicate.
What the VG needs is the ability to creat a variable guitar where you can set string guages and choose wound/steel/nylon/flat/silk and steel etc and then EQ the sound of each individual strings. 

Please keep in mind that I recorded this direct and it was monitored through Yamaha NS-10Ms.
I also panned the two guitars left and right respectively and put a tight doubling effect delay on each guitar.

The high parts were played on the 5th and 6th strings around the 10th fret.  I had no choice but to do this as the 1st 3 strings have a tight non-sustaining sound that didnt sound at all like the album.

I also made a heavy guitar patch for Battery that I will post tomorrow.  I put it through the spectrum analyzer too.

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

RushFan

Cool, I should have thought of doing the panning since that's how it sounds on the recording. This does sound better but as you said the string tone is hard to replicate. I don't believe the VG is actually capable of recreating an authentic steel string acoustic guitar sound. And unless I'm mistaken the song is actually recorded with primarly a steel string guitar and a nylon string overdubbed; but honestly I have a hard time hearing much difference in the two models on the VG-99 unless the EQ is very extreme.