Recorded Plugin Instrument Not Playing Audio Back

Started by jgsb2001, December 25, 2013, 01:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgsb2001

Hello:

I'm a new FTP user and very inexperienced with digital recording. My recording setup is Ibanez 260QM w/FTP->MBox2 interface->Pro Tools LE 8 (Mac v.10.6.8).

I am currently trying to use the Reaktor instrument plugin "RELIGEON" within Pro Tools LE 8. The problem is that when I try to play back the recording I only get quiet pops where the full note(s) should be played. While recording everything seems fine, including the level on the fader. But when I go to play back the pops occur and the fader level drops off dramatically - maybe five of the bars.

Is this an issue with how I'm recording, the plugin, or something else? Maybe I need to update to Maverick OS (which I really don't want to do)? This issue occurs with a few, but not all, of the Reaktor plugins.

Thank you for any help.
Computer: iMac 2010 OSx10.6.8 4GB RAM 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo
Laptop: MacBookPro 2012 OSx10.9 Maverick 8GB RAM
Software: Pro Tools LE 8, GarageBand 11, Fishman Triple Play
Interface: Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini

shawnb

Are you running the ftp vst?    Is it hosting Reaktor?

One simple diagnostic with ftp is to see if you can substitute a midi keyboard to trigger sounds.   If the keyboard works, you likely have an issue with your ftp config.   If the keyboard doesn't, you need to look at how your vst is installed & configured.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

jgsb2001

Hello shawnb,

I tested the same Reaktor patch within the Studio One DAW and was able to hear the notes upon playback. So I either need to reconfig Pro Tools to work with FTP or Pro Tools LE 8 is just incapable of playing many of the Reaktor patches.

Thank you very much for helping shawnb.

jgsb2001

This information is for those that are like me, new to v-guitar and recording.

Here's what I found in trying to make FTP work with the MBox2 mini and Pro Tools LE 8 using an iMac running OS 10.6.8:
1. FTP's interface (VST?) is unable to be opened within Pro Tools LE 8, but I can use FTP to control notes. Just not record them.
2. While I can play audio in Pro Tools using the FTP's pickup, the audio is not recorded.

I downloaded everything to my Mac Book Pro, which I upgraded to OS Maverick (10.9) which rendered the Mbox2 Mini completely useless.

Conclusions - I can either upgrade from the included Studio One 2 Artist to Professional ($300 upgrade fee) so I can use the Pro Tool and other plugins or I can purchase a new MBox with the updated Pro Tools Express software ($200).

Has anyone tried using FTP within a newer version of Pro Tools? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

shawnb

I do not use ProTools.  Two thoughts:

1) Take a peek at the notes for the new Beta release of FTP software that explicitly mentions using ProTools with Mac:
http://www.fishman.com/tripleplay/update

2) Try the "two track" method, described elsewhere here.  It's much simpler and has a lot of benefits over attempting to run the FTP VST as a synth host within your DAW.   (This technique was introduced to us by the FTP app's developer in the early days of the FTP app.)

In the "Two track" technique, your first track runs the FTP VST.  You do NOT use it to host a VSTi/synth - you set it up to run a "Hardware Synth" patch.  This instance of the FTP app is used to set the FTP parameters as desired. 

The second track is a normal synth track within your DAW, as if you were using a keyboard.  Only instead of setting the synth's MIDI input to be from your keyboard, set it to be from the Fishman TriplePlay MIDI port. 

Benefits are:
  -  It's simpler
  -  Your DAW deals with any 32/64 bit conversion - no complexity or JBridge
  -  Any proprietary synths in your DAW will work (SONAR users take note...)
  -  Continuous controllers, Program Changes, etc., can be fed to your synth; this is a current limitation of the FTP app, it does not pass MIDI data to the hosted synth
  -  Tempo management is controlled by your DAW (e.g., to coordinate delays, FX tails, etc); this is a current limitation of the FTP app, it does not pass MIDI clock to the hosted synth

The only drawback I can find to the "two track" method is that if you have multiple synths and want different FTP settings for each, you need to setup multiple 'Hardware Synth' configs and choose the right one before using/recording the different instruments.

Hope this makes sense...

Shawn
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

jgsb2001

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to explain the two track method. I am going to try the beta download and then attempt the two track method. I will report back in this same message to hopefully help others.

Again, thank you so much for your guidance and patience Shawn.

Update - 12/29/13:
The major mistake I made is that I had both the FTP controller and guitar set as midi inputs in my Pro Tools setup (setup->midi->midi devices).

I am now able to hear notes, record those notes, and get the playback audio using my MBox 2 Mini, Pro Tools LE 8, and the FTP controller. I ended up using three tracks (instrument, midi, and audio). Ultimately it was my fault that things didn't work in the first place because of my midi ignorance.

I also tested this setup using my macbook pro with maverick but can't use this setup because of hardware (driver) issues with the Mbox 2 mini and the maverick os. Any Mbox owners with Pro Tools 9 and above can go to avid.com and download the Maverick OS compatibility drivers.