Livid Instruments Guitar Wing

Started by jassy, January 22, 2014, 11:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://forum.lividinstruments.com/discussion/19194/guitar-wing-ios-8-and-osx-yosemite-direct-connection-open-beta?utm_source=Livid+Instruments+News&utm_campaign=797339bbbb-CNTRL+Tour&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dbe39db20b-797339bbbb-407283437

Guitar Wing - IOS 8 and OSX Yosemite Direct Connection - Open Beta
Moon
March 9 edited March 20 in Hardware
Howdy Folks!

We have a new Firmware/Software Beta bundle for the Guitar Wing, and we think you'll love this one!

Last October, Apple announced that they had been working with the folks at the Midi Manufacturers Association (MMA) to develop a standard for sending MIDI over Bluetooth.
Since then, we have been working with the help of Apple's Engineers to get the Guitar Wing up to spec.

Now that the Guitar Wing is ready; we offer the firmware for anyone to try.
We've put this new system through some rigorous testing, and it's done great!
Still, this update will be in Beta for a little while, while we look for kinks.
Please let us know if you find any!

Devices that Support Direct Connection
You can connect to any device that supports Bluetooth LE and runs either IOS 8 or OS X Yosemite.
iPhone 4s and newer phones support Bluetooth LE.
iPads 3 and newer (as well as iPad Mini) support Bluetooth LE.
As for Apple Laptops and Desktops, it varies by device, but support for Bluetooth LE first appeared in Apple's 2012 releases of the MacBook Air and MacBook Mini.

Downloads
Firmware
Guitar Wing Firmware v1.15

Firmware Update Software
Guitar Wing Firmware Update v1.05 - OS X (10.6+)
Guitar Wing Firmware Update v1.05 - Ubuntu (12.04+)
Guitar Wing Firmware Update v1.05 - Windows (7+)

Editing Software
Guitar Wing Editor v1.03 - OS X (10.6+)
Guitar Wing Editor v1.03 - Ubuntu (12.04+)
Guitar Wing Editor v1.03 - Windows (7+)

Updating Your Firmware
1. Use Firmware Update v1.03 (linked above)
2. Follow the other instructions on the Guitar Wing Firmware Update Wiki.

Connecting without the USB-Receiver
Mac OS X Yosemite
1. Update your firmware to v105+ (see Updating Your Firmware above)

2. In Mac OS X open 'Audio MIDI Settings'
3. Open the 'MIDI Studio' window, if it is not open already.
3. Double click the 'Bluetooth' icon.
4. 'connect' to your guitar wing in the pop up window
- the guitar wing's passkey is: 000000
-- After connecting, your guitar wing will show up as an ordinary device in Audio MIDI Settings.

IOS 8
1. Update your firmware to v105+ (see Updating Your Firmware above)
2. From the App Store download 'MIDI LE'
from our friend Matthias Frick, who just might have been the first to build an app that enables this connection!  This app will help you connect your Guitar Wing to your iPhone or iPad.
3. Open 'MIDI LE'
4. Hit the Menu button in the top-left corner of MIDI LE.
5. Select "Clients"
6. Select the "Livid Guitar Wing".
- Note: If 'Livid Guitar Wing' is not showing up, cycle the power on your Guitar Wing, and wait 10 or 15 seconds for it to pop up.
7. This will put you onto the 'Connection' screen. Slide the button in the top-right to connect.
- the guitar wing's passkey is: 000000
--- After connecting, you may leave this program and you can use your guitar wing with Wing Fx.
------ (or any application that uses core-midi on IOS 8).
8. Open Wing Fx
9. In Wing Fx, Select 'Options'.
10. In Wing Fx Options, double-tap 'Livid Guitar Wing Bluetooth' in the 'Active MIDI inputs' section.
11. Enjoy!

What Else is New
- Quicker Boot-times for Editor and Firmware Update Software
- Quicker Firmware Updates
- 'connect' can now detect when multiple guitar wings (USB Receivers and/or Direct Connections)  are connected to the computer.
A pop-up is displayed, and the user can select between them.

Known Issues
- An app is required on IOS8 to connect the Guitar Wing. In the example, we suggested 'MIDI LE' for managing the connection.  There is no 'IOS 8' Setting that can manage this feature, currently.
- Editor: Disabling the Motion Control Enabling Button is currently not working properly.
A fix for this will be released on 3/24/15.
- Editor: MIDI Device Select Window is  not labeled properly.
A fix for this will be released on 3/24/15.
- Motion Control Enabling Button does not display LED Feedback when it does not output a message.
A fix for this will be released in the next week or two.
- WingFx: The 'connect' button on the main-screen is currently not working for direct Bluetooth Connections.
You must follow steps 9 and 10 of the 'IOS 8' instructions above to connect WingFx to the Guitar Wing.

Resolved Issues
- Firmware Update Software: Bluetooth Selection Dialog (to select between multiple devices), was not responding to selections.  Guitar Wing Firmware Update v105 Resolves the issue. Released - 3/11/15.
- Firmware Update Software: 'Reset All Connections' button would sometimes stall when closing a Bluetooth Connection.
Guitar Wing Firmware Update v105 Resolves the issue. Released - 3/11/15.
- Firmware Update Software: MIDI Device Select Window was not labeled properly.
Guitar Wing Firmware Update v105 Resolves the issue. Released - 3/11/15.

Edit: 3/10/15 - Added 'Devices that Support Direct Connection' section.
Edit: 3/10/15 - Added 'Bluetooth Selection Bug' to Known issues.
Edit: 3/11/15 - Updated Guitar Wing Firmware Update Utility to v105
Edit: 3/16/15 - Updated Expected Date for next Editor Release to 3/24/15
Edit: 3/19/15 - Added known issue for WingFx's 'connect' button.

Tagged: guitar wing beta guitar wing editor guitar wing firmware guitar wing firmware update

ffata

I recently received my Guitar Wing.
Purchased from The MIDI Store, good buying experience FWIW.

http://www.midi-store.com

Anyway, all is kinda well but when I open the editor, the UI seems to be missing something.
See example...

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

The color, etc. is not showing up.
Has this happened to anyone else?
I'm on a late 2010 MacBook Pro 10.8.5

Elantric

Not seeing that on my 2012 MBP with OSX Mountain Lion

Livid Instruments should get you a reply Monday

http://forum.lividinstruments.com/discussion/19232/gw-editor-ui-issue

atomheart411

Can anyone here confirm whether or not the wing will work with Live 8.4.1 ? Been resisting upgrading to 9. But the functionality of this w/ Ableton may be more than I can resist. Thanks

mrmobus2014

Worth noting that they've now updated the guitar wing firmware so that it no longer requires a dongle.  It's just straight bluetooth now and interfaces direct to a computer or IOS device etc.

I've had mine since launch and decided to give editing the actual parameters on the controller a miss.  Instead I map the controls to parameters in Mainstage including at times controlling 5 whammy pedals at once.  They're great units and my only criticism is the clamp to the guitar is awkward for me.  I'm considering routing my strat out for housing the battery and mounting it direct to the scratchplate and dispensing with the clamp altogether.

Elantric

QuoteWorth noting that they've now updated the guitar wing firmware so that it no longer requires a dongle.

But the dongle is valuable for those who want to integrate Guitar Wing to control old school 5 pin MIDI Gear without a computer  - just add a USB Host to MIDI converter ( Kenton, Raspberry PI, iConnectMIDI)

vanceg

Quote from: atomheart411 on April 13, 2015, 01:11:29 PM
Can anyone here confirm whether or not the wing will work with Live 8.4.1 ? Been resisting upgrading to 9. But the functionality of this w/ Ableton may be more than I can resist. Thanks

Absolutely no reason it would not as it's just sending MIDI to the host.

admin

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=ad5c901ed1edf83be158d1f35&id=1164ed33f0&e=651d89573d

Summer is here, and we are turning up the heat. We're offering the hottest deals of the season on BASE//, DS1, and Guitar Wing. Now through the end of July save 30% off these controller by using coupon code 'tooHOT30' when you checkout from our online store. So grab a towel, sunscreen, and your favorite Livid controller, and

Elantric

Livid Instruments Guitar Wing Integration Guide
http://lividinstruments.com/integration/guitar-wing-integration-guide/

Get Livid Instruments Guitar Wing for 30% off using coupon code "backtoschool2015" =  $132 + shipping
http://shop.lividinstruments.com/guitar-wing/

Chumly

I have a few questions perhaps y'all can answer:

1) from the demos I've watched, the user was mostly playing one-handed hammer-ons and pull-offs with a highly compressed distorted tone and lots of effects, so as not only to keep one hand free for the guitar wing, but to make it easy to cover up any sloppiness. How well can you use the guitar wing on clean tones, with few effects, without taking your right hand away from the guitar for very long?

2) I seems to me that at least a reasonable amount of the guitar wing's functionality can be duplicated with a generic floor controller thus avoiding the whole right had off the guitar issue, with the FCB1010 being one possible choice. Have you found enough proprietary functionality with the guitar wing versus a generic floor controller to justify its use on a regular basis live?

3) I know that the guitar wing is small and light compared to a generic floor controller such as the FCB1010 but if you're not playing live, and don't care about floor bulk, would you still find enough proprietary functionality with the guitar wing versus a generic floor controller to justify its use on a regular basis for practice, or for recording?

4) Have you found it to be reliable, and easy enough to use to justify its existence?

5) What have you found on the guitar wing that has most annoyed you in terms of functionality, form factor, etc?

6) What have you found on the guitar wing that has most pleased you in terms of functionality, form factor, etc?
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

mooncaine

Quote from: Chumly on September 16, 2015, 06:45:27 PM
I have a few questions perhaps y'all can answer:
I'm a happy owner who has spent a moderate amount of time with one, but I don't use it every day. I'm just a sofa and garage guitar player these days.
1) from the demos I've watched, the user was mostly playing one-handed hammer-ons and pull-offs with a highly compressed distorted tone and lots of effects, so as not only to keep one hand free for the guitar wing, but to make it easy to cover up any sloppiness. How well can you use the guitar wing on clean tones, with few effects, without taking your right hand away from the guitar for very long?
Dude, that's totally up to you. Would you rather wrap a finger or two around a vibrato arm? That's also an option that occupies your right hand and involves some compromise of its own, and all you get is pitch bending. The Wing could bend pitch, but could do something totally different that might be 'worth it' to take your hand away for a moment.

One of the many awesome things about the GW is that it's flat. It's not in your way if you don't want to bump into it. But, sure, it would take some getting used to. It might be taking up space that you're used to anchoring your hand with, maybe where you put your pinky or ring finger against the guitar to steady your hand when fingerpicking.

Oh, now that I think about it, if you play with a pick, you've gotta contend with the fact that you won't be using your index finger on this. And you'll have to reach those fingers out, so I find I like the Guitar Wing as close as possible to the strings.

The pads are sufficiently sensitive, so you won't have to press hard (unless you want it that way). The less pressure you have to apply, the more freedom your hand has for the picking stuff you want to do, but it's great to be able to experiment with such a wide range, and I have done so. The ribbons are a bit short, and the longest one is in a weird place, but they work great if you have the right gear. I use mine with a VG-99, which is perfect for it. I imagine (but don't know) that a GR-55 would be great, too. It's great with the VG's best pitch shifting effects, like the D Beam's pitch control or the Pedal Bend efffect, for example. Smooth as you could ask for. My only trouble is, I'm not very good at playing it. It works great. I use pressure pads to bend pitch. It's great, but my playing is, meh, not so great yet.
2) I seems to me that at least a reasonable amount of the guitar wing's functionality can be duplicated with a generic floor controller thus avoiding the whole right had off the guitar issue, with the FCB1010 being one possible choice. Have you found enough proprietary functionality with the guitar wing versus a generic floor controller to justify its use on a regular basis live?
I was surprised to find I really appreciated having those 5 buttons along the bottom front, because that gave me what every Roland-compatible guitar of mine has lacked till now: good pickup switching. I had all these virtual pickup choices, but no pickup switch on the guitar that was as useful and ergonomic as the real ones. Now, I have 5 options, just like my strat switch, only even better, cuz I can't miss a switch. Easy to hit. And they light up so I know which one's on. Love it.

I have quested after various pitch-bending gadgetry on guitars for years, experimenting with pitch wheels and ribbon controllers before. Ultimately, I got a good pitch-bending system set up with a couple ribbons, but it needs 2 or 3 unwieldy wires and a lot of flat area on the face of the guitar. The GW does it in less space, *wirelessly* (which I didn't think I'd have been able to afford, wouldn't have dreamed of), so I'm well pleased. It's solidlly built and much tougher than my 2-ribbon contraption.
3) I know that the guitar wing is small and light compared to a generic floor controller such as the FCB1010 but if you're not playing live, and don't care about floor bulk, would you still find enough proprietary functionality with the guitar wing versus a generic floor controller to justify its use on a regular basis for practice, or for recording?
Probably not. It's for you if you feel like trying new things and making new sounds, possibly very awful sounds, but the point is, if you want to know if it's worth having for ordinary, generic show band use... I doubt you'd want it. Unless switching virtual pickups on your virtual guitar is worth $300, cuz that's about what it'll cost to use the GW, adding up everything you need to use it with outboard gear: the GW, a MIDI host like the iConnectMIDI4+, a MIDI cable, a usb cable, a socket on your power outlet bar for the MIDI host's AC adaptor, and the most important link in the chain, the instruments or effects you want to control with it. Sure, you can use it to control stuff in your DAW or effects software, but it sounded to me like you're asking if you can use it like you'd use a pedal board, to control MIDI gear or amp channels. The MIDI part's doable for about US$300.
4) Have you found it to be reliable, and easy enough to use to justify its existence?
Reliable? Yes. Also, the editor's good on my Mac and it works every time. Setting it up involved installing the software editor and fiddling with it for an hour or two, but I like that kinda stuff. I made a setup I liked, and now when I create a patch on my VG, I know which MIDI CC # to use for which pad, or slider, or button. I made a template i can write on.
5) What have you found on the guitar wing that has most annoyed you in terms of functionality, form factor, etc?
If I turn it off, or unplug it, I must restart the iConnectMIDI4+ to get the GW connected again. It's not the iConnect's fault, it's the Guitar Wing's. What I mean is that you can't simply plug it in and turn it on; you have to go turn the MIDI thingy off and on again, too, which is just an extra step that 's annoying because the thing's wireless. Ironic.
Quote from: Chumly on September 16, 2015, 06:45:27 PM6) What have you found on the guitar wing that has most pleased you in terms of functionality, form factor, etc?
It's so flat, feels solid, actually works well when adjusted to be be either very sensitive or not, and it has programmable lights, so that *you* get to decide what the lights do, and when, or whether they come on at all. It works on my Mac with their editor, and did I say it's wireless often enough? It's so great that it makes me really want a standard 13-pin wireless system so my guitar & I could be completely untethered.

I love how the pads react. I can just sort of lean on the edge of the pad with my finger and roll back and forth, and it responds naturally. Again, this is when bending pitch on a VG-99, which can do it amazingly smoothly.

That said, if all you're gonna want is patch switching, a wah and volume pedal, some on/offs for reverb and delay, then you could do better and keep both hands free. I'd be interested in a SoftStep; never tried one of those.

Chumly

Thank you kindly mooncaine for your most thorough reply! At you suggestion I'm also going to look into the SoftStep 2, because it seems to provide a good amount of the controllability of the GW, without having to remove one hand from the guitar.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Bethy1234

hello everyone,

i have just bought a used Wing. My problem is that the livid site links are broken. Does anyone know where i can find at least the firmware update v1.05?

Thank you very much everyone.

admin

http://lividinstruments.com/support/
http://lividinstruments.com/integration/guitar-wing-integration-guide/
https://web.archive.org/web/20150330053144/http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Guitar_Wing_Editor
Guitar Wing Forum  / Firmware
http://forum.lividinstruments.com/discussion/23851/any-future-guitar-wing-editor-updates-or-firmware-updates

May 1
Hi Everyone,

Today's builds have passed testing.
We are working on documentation for the new features.
I will list the new features below, but more detailed information will come later.

---------------------------------------------------
Guitar Wing Firmware v143 Download

Guitar Wing Editor v111 Downloads
Mac
Ubuntu
Windows
---------------------------------------------------
Description of Updates:

- Added 'Send Bank' checkbox to 'Program Change' Messages.
-- This allows a program select message to also send the bank as defined by the 'msb/lsb' entry fields.

- Added Program Change Up and Down to the 'Special' 'Key' messages.
--- These items have a 'wrap' checkbox that allows the program to wrap-around back to after it hits it's limits, if desired.
--- Added a 'Send Current Bank' checkbox to this feature that allows the program to send the last selected MIDI bank, if desired.

- Added Bank Select to the 'Special' 'Key' messages. That allows sending the 14-bit MIDI Bank value.
-- Added a 'Send Current Program' checkbox to this feature that allows the program to send the last selected MIDI program, if desired.

- Added Bank Up and Down to the 'Special' 'Key' messages.
-- Added a 'Send Current Program' checkbox to this feature that allows the program to send the last selected MIDI program, if desired.

- Added CC34 Value Up and Down to 'Special' 'Key' messages.
--- These items have a 'wrap' checkbox that allows the value to wrap-around back to after it hits it's limits, if desired.

- Special Control Mapping 'Pitchbend-Full' now snaps back to center value upon release.

- Numerous GUI Updates to make the settings more readable and look better on Windows, macOS, and Ubuntu.

We plan on adding a few presets to the 'presets' menu before releasing this from Beta,
so if you come up with a great preset for your device or app, feel free to share your presets here.
If you have any questions about how to integrate these features with your device, feel free to ask us here as well!

alexmcginness

They never make it easy to find things.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

alexmcginness

Now that was easy. Thanks.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

admin

Quote from: admin on June 28, 2019, 04:38:55 AM
find what you need here
https://lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/
https://lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/utilities/

latest Guitar Wing FW 1.43
https://lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/gwing_controller_143_OTA_BETA.zip

Guitar Wing WIKI is still alive
http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Guitar_Wing_Firmware_Update

But the File downloads have been dead for a while
Quote"Error 404 - Hmm, we can't seem to find that page."

Seems Livid Instruments Server has been dead for months now - and no longer provides access to
Guitar Wing Firmware or Guitar Wing Controller app (Win/Mac)

Here are alt sources
Guitar Wing Connect App
GuitarWingConnect_067_win.zip
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11gj3HgQvKJVPhAdAesTlD1m9Z0WTo6lq/view?usp=sharing

GuitarWingConnect_067B_osx.zip
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d1JGBhkH2ZmnHql36IsRGFA60kJqYhtA/view?usp=sharing

FIRMWARE: 

gwing_controller_143_OTA_BETA
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ornD1bGdoaXuSbAa-2f9ztkkUffQJYZj/view?usp=sharing

gwing_controller_140_OTA
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rKx-83OjdXioPJMhp_HIsN8lzK0_PpwX/view?usp=sharing

Its a changing world - but sadly the founder of Livid Instruments was diagnosed with ALS in 2017
http://forum.lividinstruments.com/discussion/comment/36244/#Comment_36244
Jay Smith, Livid Instruments Founder wrote>
QuoteJay
September 2017
three years ago I was diagnosed with ALS. I worked as long as I could until I became too disabled to come into the office . After a few attempts to replace my position we had to close our manufacturing facility and focus on supporting our current product line. We are currently working with new partners to bring back the products you love like the ds1 and continue to innovate with new products. We have a small staff that is still developing products and improving our existing line. Thank you for your patience and loyalty during this transition. We are still dedicated to being the innovative company you have all grown to love.

you can follow my story about life with ALS at facebook.com/every90minutes
https://www.facebook.com/Every90Minutes/

seantrow

Thanks for posting those.
I am still missing some of the required software - the Guitar Wing editor and the the firmware update utility.  Does anybody have a copy stashed somewhere they can share? (Windows please.)
Thanks!
Sean

seantrow

Thanks, but that is exactly what's posted in the previous message. Although I can "connect" with the app to the dongle, I don't see an option to update the firmware (and the firmware files seem to be just data files). 

And looking at the wiki there is also http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Guitar_Wing_Editor.

admin

The Windows and macOS control apps are the 1st and 2nd link

Guitar Wing Connect App
GuitarWingConnect_067_win.zip
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11gj3HgQvKJVPhAdAesTlD1m9Z0WTo6lq/view?usp=sharing

GuitarWingConnect_067B_osx.zip
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d1JGBhkH2ZmnHql36IsRGFA60kJqYhtA/view?usp=sharing

http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Guitar_Wing_Firmware_Update

Apparently there is a separate Firmware Update Utility - that remains missing

If I find it Ill link it here

Vaultnaemsae

There was a 'final' beta released via the Livid forum only about a year ago IIRC. They never really picked up where they left off though.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

admin

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on July 09, 2020, 12:30:03 PM
There was a 'final' beta released via the Livid forum only about a year ago IIRC. They never really picked up where they left off though.

Thier main developer became ill with ALS- and its sad many important URL links are now dead

Vaultnaemsae

I saved most of the Livid Guitar Wing software for macOS that I downloaded. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i8ineisytywlofl/AAAw03_avHNdeTHr07iy1RhAa?dl=0.
No WIN10 sorry. There is a copy of the firmware updater but I'm not sure if it's the latest version. Hope it's helpful to anybody who can't source this stuff.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae