Positive Grid BIAS Amp Designer (IOS)

Started by BackDAWman, November 14, 2013, 08:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixeight

Got a respons from Positive Grid today on the OSX version of Bias

QuoteThanks for the feedback!
We are still discussing about that, will share more information soon.

Let's wait and see...

whippinpost91850

That would be very cool. My iRig pro just shipped, I should have it tommorrow. I down loaded Bias to me iPad last night. Can't wait to try it.

supernicd

Sixeight - glad you got it going!

whippinpost91850 - will be interested to hear how it goes for you.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

admin

Once you get the iRig Pro connected.

1) Launch Bias.

2) Select Your desired amp

3) Inside Bias click the icon to launch Jamup Pro XT (upper right on Bias main screen)

4) After Jamup Pro XT  executes and pops up, click the configuration icon (extreme lower right) and navigate the Settings menu to Ultra Low Latency and move the slider to the right to enable this. 

BackDAWman

I too get the dreaded 'fizz' when using my irig stomp. I will try a better interface but the major problem I have is switching between Bias and JU. I have an ipad 2 and it has completely crashed Bias on one occasion but mostly the audio just gets all garbled and the latency goes through the roof (500mS or so). I have to shut Bias down and restart JU and it's okay. I can still use the amp I created in Bias.

The HD Pro is still not available in Australia from all of the searching I've done. I can get a Lexicon Lambda for $186 and that will get me 24bit audio and midi. The HD Pro from overseas will still set me back over $200.

It seems though, that the iPad 2 is not going to cope with this level of audio processing so I am keen to get an iPad Air.

supernicd

Quote from: BackDAWman on December 03, 2013, 02:30:44 PM
It seems though, that the iPad 2 is not going to cope with this level of audio processing so I am keen to get an iPad Air.

That wouldn't surprise me.  My general rule of thumb is that a computing device can withstand 1 major operating system version upgrade and still perform well with the current crop of applications.  Two major versions later, even though it may still be on the supported device list, I'm no longer happy with the way it performs with the most recent OS and apps designed for that OS.  At least that's been my general experience, not just with iPads but PCs, phones, etc.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

whippinpost91850

Thanks that will help me get started quickly

Derek Buddemeyer

I have an apogee jam which works quite well...however, I also use a Griffin StudioConnect and it has many other options...it was recently on sale for $39 as opposed to the regular $130.  Check Sweetwater to see if it's still there....it's a really good unit.  I've had mine for a couple years now and still runs top notch

sixeight

Quote from: BackDAWman on December 03, 2013, 02:30:44 PM
I too get the dreaded 'fizz' when using my irig stomp. I will try a better interface but the major problem I have is switching between Bias and JU. I have an ipad 2 and it has completely crashed Bias on one occasion but mostly the audio just gets all garbled and the latency goes through the roof (500mS or so). I have to shut Bias down and restart JU and it's okay. I can still use the amp I created in Bias.

The ipad 2 can only just about cope. A few tips:
- make sure that JamUp or Bias is the only app running
- switch off ultra low latency in JamUp.
- put the ipad in Flight Mode - no bluetooth, wifi, etc.

I am ok with just step 1. I do get the impression JamUp is switching back and forth latency wise automatically...

BackDAWman

Got my iPad Air today. Tonight I'll load it up with JU and BIAS and see how it runs... :-D

Elantric

Congrats on your new Apple iPad Air!

Post your results / opinions.

Realize due to the clarity and accuracy of Bias's Tube amp modeling, you WILL notice the quality (good or bad)  of your Guitar to iPad Audio interface.

Avoid All guitar to iPad audio interfaces that connect using the iPad's 3.5mm TRRS Headset jack as a Guitar Input - you WILL suffer poor results, and white noise, due to the non bypass-able Apple iPad Microphone preamp.

Use a Guitar Audio Input interface that connects directly to the Lightning port works much better.

Then its a short list of guitar interfaces that provide true 24 bit audio into the ipad.

I would say these are the top runners

* Apogee Jam
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php?gclid=CLza6ZWEmLsCFRHZQgodDToANg

* Peavey Ampkit Link HD
http://www.peavey.com/products/ampkitlink/

* IK Multimedia iRig Pro
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpro/

* IK Multimedia iRig HD
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irighd/

* Line-6 SonicPort
http://line6.com/sonicport/

Other options are use Apple USB Camera connection adapter and a 24bit@ 44.1kHz USB Class Compliant Audio Interface.

many are listed here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8291.0

whippinpost91850

Congrats on the new Air, I hope to have mine this week too. Please post your experiences.

BackDAWman

I had a little play with the air today. Still haven't had the chance to plug the guitar in yet. I used Sampletank into Loopy HD. Great fun but I did notice, on occasion, that I would get glitches in the audio from sampletank. I'm guessing that sampletank is fairly heavy on resources, even for the iPad Air...

Elantric

QuoteI did notice, on occasion, that I would get glitches in the audio from sampletank. I'm guessing that sampletank is fairly heavy on resources, even for the iPad Air...

Free up resources by closing / shutting down non used apps that might still be running in the background

How to close background apps in IOS7
a-few-tricks-all-the-new-ios-7-users-should-know
http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/18/a-few-tricks-all-the-new-ios-7-users-should-know/

BackDAWman

Yep. Did that. With absolutely nothing else running I get glitching with the sampletank audio into Loopy HD with audiobus. None at all when it runs by itself.

Just tested with Cubasis. Perfect!

I maybe doing something wrong with Loopy...

Elantric

Matches my own experience actually

I read about folks running 4 separate IOS apps at once using audiobus and loopy HD - maybe they live with the distortion, stutters, dropouts and are deaf?

Wonder if they are paid schills?

Myself - I'm happy to run multiple ipads at once and run cables from iPad headphone outs to a battery small mixer, then to a final iPad running loopy HD 

as I wrote here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7653.msg71157#msg71157

------

QuoteSo can I now assume i should be able to realize my dream of using the air+Behringer IS202+Jamup pro+bias+sampletank+loopy simultaneously for live performances? ?

I would not get too carried away with that concept, until real world trials can be performed. IOS7 has new Inter app Audio and the iPad Air is powerful - but managing 4 CPU / memory intensive apps simultaneously  - and more importantly -  having screen real estate for real time User Control to make minor course corrections mid song (without page flipping or multiple app minimize/expand)   - and playing guitar and singing is not my idea of a good time. 

I'm a believer in having plenty spare margin of horsepower at live gigs. But lately I'm playing lots of low volume "open mic"  / 6 acts per night / 30 minute set/ 5 minutes setup time gigs.  So I intend to run Irig Pro interface to iPad Air for Guitar BIAS  / Jamup Pro XT ( possibly with Auria too) and  iPad mini running FTP and Sampletank - both iPad headphone outputs  feed a battery powered,
ROLLS MX44s Mini-Mix IV

Then to a stereo volume pedal

and output of stereo volume pedal  feeds a ROLLS DB24 Stereo Direct Interface - to PA

and i will use an IK Blueboard to control Jamup Pro.

I'm still trying out which "rig" suits my needs best - its helps I'm playing many live gigs again with a "normal band" where I want to use these toys  (as opposed the pure vintage surf band for past 7 years where all I required was my '62 Fender Tube Reverb unit.)

Derek Buddemeyer

Inter App Audio is the way to go right now.  Sampletank with cubasis is pretty slick.  Once you've completed a track...go to the routing and disconnect IAA and turn it back to a stereo track.  This frees up Sampletank to be used in IAA in another track...do this as many times as you want.  Alchemy is another heavyweight on CPU that I do this with....no problems and I'm running a 3rd gen iPad.

BackDAWman

Quote from: Derek Buddemeyer on December 05, 2013, 07:35:24 PM
Inter App Audio is the way to go right now.  Sampletank with cubasis is pretty slick.  Once you've completed a track...go to the routing and disconnect IAA and turn it back to a stereo track.  This frees up Sampletank to be used in IAA in another track...do this as many times as you want.  Alchemy is another heavyweight on CPU that I do this with....no problems and I'm running a 3rd gen iPad.

I just tried this and whoo hoo! It works beautifully. Audiobus was problematic with some apps like Voicesynth for example. Inter App Audio is much lighter on resources.

Elantric

Thanks Derek! You have the answers I need!

Things I would like to learn:

* Make a list of popular IOS music apps and each app's CPU Hit and Memory space requirements 

* Make a list of IOS Music apps that work together (including routing topology [i.e. Interapp Audio, AudioBus, MIDI Bridge, etc) 
   i.e - which ones play nice with each other

and more importantly (the proverbial "map to the potential minefields")
* Make a list of IOS Music apps that DO NOT work together (including routing topology [i.e. Interapp Audio, AudioBus, MIDI Bridge, etc) 
   i.e - which ones wreak havok with each other

Derek Buddemeyer

I literally spend hours each day configuring the best workflow that has the smallest footprint for my compositions, so if you guys have questions just email me or I'll try and list results here.  First and foremost, I'm a guitarist so naturally, I focus on that....but I also work with a lot of synth apps and DAWs as well.  I mainly use Beatmaker 2 as a launching pad and then progress to Auria, although cubasis is also helpful in some respects.  If you're not much for midi controller keyboards or hardware...I would really suggest looking into Sonuus G2M for using your guitar as a midi controller.  It's super fast tracking, although only monophonic.  Also, midi guitar is great for polyphonic control (although not as quick on the tracking) I'll try and post some workflow videos in the next couple weeks.  I've devoted the last few years to iOS production so there's not a whole lot that I don't know and am always happy to share my thoughts and help troubleshoot with you. Also, my album "Afterthoughts" (done completely in iOS) is available as a free download for a limited time.  Here's a link.  (Not a whole lot of guitar, but there's some...this was all pre-audiobus) https://derekbuddemeyer.bandcamp.com/album/afterthoughts-remastered just enter a cost of "0" where it says buy or name your price and you can download for free.

Elantric

Derek,

I appreciate your input and shared experiences with IOS apps !

QuoteI would really suggest looking into Sonuus G2M for using your guitar as a midi controller.  It's super fast tracking, although only monophonic.

Agreed - i love my similar Sonuus I2M -(the most under-rated  / least understood accessory for guitarists IMHO.) that not only works as a high speed mono Guitar to MIDI interface  - but also happens to work rather well as a 16 bit Guitar Audio Interface for iPad+CCK too.

Review here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7347.0

But many of us are integrating the Fishman Tripleplay - which also works really well with iPads+CCKs
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8427.msg60207#msg60207

and I plan on using a IK BlueBoard for control - but i might use my KMI Softsep  - if i can ever tame its dreadful EMI noise it emits into my single coil PU's!

Derek Buddemeyer

Ah yes...the i2m.  Sonuus is sending me one.  Should have it shortly.  I really want to check out their G2M v2 interface (because it has a midi out that I think would connect through my griffin StudioConnect). Their app is only $10 and works pretty well with most apps. 

whippinpost91850

Thanks Derek, I'm just getting into working with IOS and find your "nuggets of knowledge" very helpful indeed. Paul

whippinpost91850

I just got home from rehearsal, and "lo and behold" my iRig pro is here. I'm super excited to plug it in and try out Bias ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

whippinpost91850

Well didn't have much time to fool with Bias. The iRig pro seemed to work very well. I'll have to reread the little manual I could not get Jamup pro to get input. It's gotta be somethin simple I'm just missin
Sound wise I liked some of the factory presets in Bias and thay did seem pretty reactive to both pick and guitar volume controll. I'll get more time with it tommorrow and will hook it up to my Atomic CLR. In my headphones everything sounded a little bassy.