Switch Wild I midi guitar for $299 on Ebay!

Started by Virtual Tone, February 20, 2008, 06:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virtual Tone

It came yesterday around noon and now my VG-99 and FC-300 is due to arrive today!

I'll let you know how the midi works as well... but for now... here's some pics my wife took this morning.  ;D

Here's pic #1 with the full size pic here http://stashbox.org/84308/1081209625-My-Desktop.png

Here's pic #2 with the full size pic here http://stashbox.org/84312/1081209757-My-Desktop.png

Here's pic #3 with the full size pic here http://stashbox.org/84303/10812084756-My-Desktop.png

Here's pic #4 with the full size pic here http://stashbox.org/84316/10812091610-My-Desktop.png

The guitar is all 1 piece of molded plastic and is called the "Vibracell". 

It weighs 6.5 lbs I believe (threw it on the scale yesterday).

Here's the discription.

Wild-I MIDI-
MIDI Electric Guitar

The Wild-I Midi ready delivers all the standard Wild I features combined with the Roland GK-Series Midi pickup. A three-way mini switch selects MIDI, Blend, Humbucking plus an up & down switch for MIDI and dual volume controls for the humbucking pickup. A 13 pin MIDI ready output & a ¼ inch input jack are standard.

Detailed Specifications:

Vibracell® One piece neck & body
1 Red hot humbucking bridge position
Roland GK-Series MIDI ready pickup
Wilkinson VS-50K tremolo
Chrome hardware
Grover tuners
Rosewood fingerboard
Pearl dot inlays
Dual volume controls
2-way coil tap switch
3-way mini switch for MIDI / blend / pickups
Up & down switch to control MIDI
13 pin MIDI ready output & 1/4" input jack
Scale: 25 1/2"
Neck width @ nut: 1 21/32"
22 frets

Color: Black

The only thing is it didn't come with the Wilkinson VS-50K tremolo as discribed, so... any suggestions on a Trem to put it? 

V.T.

vanceg

Wow, it's a molded plastic body and neck?  Interesting. If anyone sees a place to pick one up super cheap - post it ;-)

Elantric

Ebay - check each week - they are there all the time $200 to $500

The Innovo III is my choice - 6 on a side fender headstock and wilkinson trem - $350 typical Blue or Black

Virtual Tone

Quote from: sustainiac on February 20, 2008, 11:11:08 AM
Ebay - check each week - they are there all the time $200 to $500

The Innovo III is my choice - 6 on a side fender headstock and wilkinson trem - $350 typical Blue or Black

Yeah... I saw one NEW for $299 from the same guy I bought the Wild I from.  I offered him $400 for both but he didn't bite.

But then I found my Jay Turser JT-1000 neck through for $200 with 24 frets that I'll drop a GK-3 Kit in (if I like the way it plays and feels that is).  ;D

Just keep your eyes open like Sustainiac says.  I am every day!  :D

V.T.

BTW - Here's a J Turser JT-230 I just found NEW for $211.  Throw a GK-3 kit into this one!  ;D

Here's the link.  It's 6 rows down.  http://www.mbgmusicsupply.com/jayturser.html  They also have some other nice styles as well.

Virtual Tone

That's cool Sustainiac!

That's the same one I didn't get for $299 only with the GK-3 Kit already in it NEW (DOH!) 

But the Wild I is cool too. ;)

Just keep your eyes open boys!

s0c9

Elantric

Yes - I think I got the pick of the litter - block inlays and ebonite fingerboard

Realize you will need to be a bit handy with tools - as none of these ( from this ebay seller) include the GK Hex driver "guts"

But in my case - its matter of drilling more holes - If I hate the neck profile I can just re-sell it.

I'm not a fan of "Jem" slim profile necks - I actually prefer Danny Gatton / Jeff Beck baseball bats!

I'll probably adapt one of my old GK-2 PUs - like this
http://www.geocities.com/ashasha3/Index.htm

Virtual Tone

Quote from: sustainiac on February 20, 2008, 02:41:21 PM
Realize you will need to be a bit handy with tools - as none of these include the GK Hex driver "guts"

But in my case - its matter of drilling more holes

I'll probably adapt one of my old GK-2 PUs - like this
http://www.geocities.com/ashasha3/Index.htm

I don't have tools... just my guy at Sam Ash who has done them for real cheap!

Elantric

Video on Switch Music Vibracell Series Guitars

Virtual Tone

Hey sustainiac!

Wow... the first video makes it sound like the "Must Have" of guitars with all that cool tech they put into the plastic and all.  ;D

I notice he mentioned the fingerboard made of Ebonite.  I noticed when playing my Wild I the fingerboard felt excellent like I had just oiled it and the back of the neck was very fast and smooth as well.  The more I played it the more I liked it.   I think I might get the Wild IV midi ready down the road or the Innovo-III MIDI.   ;)

The 2nd and 3rd video are double post (hee hee).  I had to go back and make sure I didn't click on the same one twice.

Thanks for sharing!  Sounds like these guitars in a midi ready is a better value that a Roland Ready Strat.

V.T.  8)

Elantric

>I notice he mentioned the fingerboard made of Ebonite.

Hey if it works for Bowling balls , must be excellent for fretboards - I want a " Brunswick AMF" logo on my headstock

Actually at Ernie Ball - we had a prototype Musicman bass with an Ebonite fingerboard - sounded and played great!

Elantric

Wow - I'll have my new guitar today in about 2 hrs when the fedex delivery arrives  - excellent!!!

EDIT - it still has not arrived - due Friday afternoon. :(

Virtual Tone

So are you putting in the GK-3 kit yourself Sustainiac?

Elantric

YEs- I may use this as a test bed platform guitar for some custom GK configurations - like 5 way switch mod for VG-99 COSm PU selection - stay tuned

Virtual Tone

Cool!

I might throw in the same config in my Wild I so keep me posted. ;D

Virtual Tone

Switch makes the Wild and the Innovo midi guitars. 

Here's a bit about their construction that I thought would be cool to share with the forum.  ;)

QuoteSimple to radical ideas throughout time have inspired passion to develop new and better technology. It has been our vision and passion to bring to the market stringed musical instruments that are not only superior in quality but to produce these instruments in an efficient and environmentally friendly way. After more than ten years in development this vision has become a reality with the creation of Vibracell Technology.

In order to understand this exclusive patented technology one must have a basic understanding of how traditional stringed instruments are currently designed and manufactured.

Traditional wooden guitars and basses can be produced from a number of different types of woods or combinations of wood. It is the selection of the type of wood that will give the instrument its character. Not all woods are created equal nor are two pieces of wood exactly alike. Another factor to consider when selecting the wood is the cost. Good quality woods simply cost more and are no longer in abundant supply. The wood for guitar bodies is not the only consideration, woods for the necks and fingerboards are equally as important. Different types of wood used for fingerboards and necks will transfer energy at different speeds and intensity.

Now, imagine for a moment that you could give the guitar designer a piece of wood with the exact density to deliver ultimate vibration and frequency. Imagine a piece of wood that can be styled and shaped and also have a perfect balanced weight. Imagine a finger board that could deliver energy to the guitar body faster than traditional wood. And consider the cost for a guitar or bass guitar with a neck and body made as one piece. Wouldn't this be the ultimate neck-thru body? Are these ideas to far out in the future?

Vibracell is a patented process of completely molding both electric and bass guitars including the neck and headstock, from the patented Switch Vibracell material creating an instrument with precise harmonic resonance and sound frequency. Vibracell allows the entire instrument to be created as a whole with complete control of neck, body weight and density by controlling the internal cells. With the ability to control the cells we can effectively tune the body and neck to exceed the characteristics and response of those instruments made from the best available woods in the world. Additionally, Vibracell has the pure strength to withstand extreme temperature changes that affect traditional wooden bodies and necks.

The ability to control the cells density allows the neck to be formed with the body as one piece. Vibracell allows a true one piece neck-through design that eliminates the gluing of two half bodies to the neck. The one piece neck-thru body approach allows for energy to be transmitted through the entire body not only with extreme efficiency, but at a higher rate of speed ultimately delivering pure sustain and clarity.

Vibracell technology allows the instrument to be created equally, time and time again without variances in sound due to the variances in wood.

Vibracell models are offered with traditional Rosewood fingerboard and our proprietary Ebonite fingerboard. Ebonite provides the bold rich smooth warm sound of ebony along with the punch of hard rock maple. Ebonite transfers the energy from the neck to the body at an extreme high rate of speed and intensity resulting in superior crystal clear harmonics and extraordinary sustain.

Vibracell is considered one of the few, if not the only, major breakthrough in the creation of musical instruments today. Since the beginning of time change has been inevitable. However, change would never be a consideration if there were never a question of need or improvement.

Vibracell® offers that improvement and the need to Switch.

V.T.  8)

Virtual Tone

Did you get BOTH of those guitars Sustainiac?  The white and the dark one?

V.T.  8)

Elantric

No - Just the "white" one  - which is actually a silver metallic white sparkle. It was the top of the line Innovo III Signature model

Innovo-III Signature
Electric Guitar
The Innovo-III Signature features dual single coil EMG Select and a single EMG Select Humbucking pickup. An Ebonite fingerboard with faux pearl and abalone block inlays feels as smooth as glass and is lightning fast. When you play any of the Innovo models you will truly experience the extreme sustain and power within Vibracell.

List Price: $659.00

Specifications, prices, and color subject to change without prior notice.

* Vibracell® One piece neck & body
    * 2 EMG Select single coil pickups
    * 1 EMG Select humbucking bridge position
    * Wilkinson VS-50K tremolo
    * Gold hardware(Metallic white & Black firemist only)
    * Black hardware (3-tone fireburst only)
    * Grover locking tuners
    * Ebonite™ fingerboard
    * Faux mother of pearl & abalone block inlays
    * 5-way lever switch
    * Single Volume control
    * Single Tone control
    * Scale: 25 1/2"
    * Neck width @ nut: 1 21/32"
    * 22 Frets

chipstar

That looks pretty cool Sus... Nice.

later,
Chipstar

Elantric

I only posted the pic of the Blue one in my earlier post because if you look closely you can see that version has the factory installed  GK-2A Kit with 13 pin output. You can see its rather straightforward to make the GK conversion on these Switch guitars. But Switch Music never made a GK equipped  version of the upscale "Signature" model - instead they used the basic  Innovo III model with dot inlays and Rosewood fingerboard   -and just  added the GK kit and called it the "MIDI" version. I prefer the metallic white signature model with Ebonite board and block inlays. I have been eyeing this guitar for a while and grabbing  brand new one still in the box for $199  while they last seemed logical.
I like the Innovo III, because its most like the Strat - I can use known Strat  strategies for the Tremolo to keep it in tune. I like the Inline 6 tuners, straight string pull thru the Nut, and These come with locking Grover Tuners and a Wilkinson tremolo.
Of course I'm going to void the warranty after a few days after i install the GK-3. Perhaps I'll  post pics of the installation. My gut tells me me these Switch Vibrocell guitars will only be available in the used channel very soon - so voiding a useless warranty is no big loss.

BTW - Here's the MIDI version again:

* Vibracell® One piece neck & body
    * 2 Switch designed single coil pickups
    * 1 Red hot humbucking bridge position
    * Roland GK-Series MIDI ready pickup
    * Wilkinson VS-50K tremolo
    * Chrome hardware
    * Grover locking tuners
    * Rosewood fingerboard
    * Pearl dot inlays
    * Dual volume controls and single tone control
    * 5-way lever switch
    * 3-way mini switch for MIDI / blend / pickups
    * Up & down switch to control MIDI
    * 13 pin MIDI ready output & 1/4" input jack
    * Scale: 25 1/2"
    * Neck width @ nut: 1 21/32"
    * 22 frets

Elantric

Reminds me of Gibson's "ResonWood" Multiphonic Sonex guitars of 1980.  They were basically sawdust and glue - and weighed a lot! plagued by poor quality  - rampant in the low end Gibsons back then. I figure each new hired worker at the Gibson  Nashville factory probably  started on the Sonex production line first - until they could prove their luthier skills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Sonex
http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/sonex.php

Gibson Sonex guitars were a range of budget Gibsons launched in 1980. They were made from a material called Resonwood, and manufactured with Multi-phonic™ body construction. There were four models: Deluxe, Standard, Custom and Artist.

They were an entry level instrument, replacing the Marauder and S-1 guitars. Like these two instruments, the Sonex took its styling from the Les Paul guitars that had been popular for the previous decades, but using Resonwood instead of mahogany, bolt-on necks instead of set (glue-in) and far less ornamentation.

At its launch in mid 1980, the Sonex 180 Deluxe cost $299 which was Gibson's cheapest instrument. The Standard was $375, Custom $449 - all cheaper than the next model, the 335S at $499

"You've never heard this kind of sound at this kind of price."

Gibson-Sonex-180 is a totally new kind of guitar. The secret is in the exclusive, new Multi-phonic body design, featuring an incredibly durable and acoustical material colled Resonwood. Resonwood has the weight of mahogany and the density of maple. That means you get brilliant harmonic reproduction and superior sustain never before available on on electric guitar at this low price.

Gibson multi-phonic construction The Sonex Multi-phonic body is composed of Resonwood surrounding an inner tone wood core. The tone wood core not only acts as the anchor point for the neck, it also adds acoustic resonance and exceptional body resilience. The Sonex body is so resilient, that it's structural properties survived extreme testing in temperatures ranging from 40 below to 180F.

Sonex sustain. A very notable characteristic.

Gibson Sonex sustain, as compared to ash and laminateThe rock solid consistency of Resonwood gives the Sonex guitar incredible sustain capability. Gibson compared it to conventional ash/poplar laminate models and found there was no comparison. A Sonex Multi-phonic? body delivered greater sustain than many guitars priced two and three times higher. And the Sonex-180 has the welght and feel of even the most expensive guitars. Pick it up. Play it.

Experience a Sonex instrument. It's unlike any guitar you've ever played.

Famous Gibson styling. Famous Gibson quality.

There are three guitar models to choose from in the Sonex Series, all with the popular Gibson single cutaway design. The Sonex-180 Deluxe features a rosewood, dot inlayed fingerboard and adjustable exposed coil high output Humbuckers?. Other Sonex-180 features include a three-position pick-up selector switch, Tune-0-Matic Bridge', stop bar tailpiece and volume/tone control speed knobs.

In addition to all the features offered on the Deluxe guitar, the Sonex Standard and Custom models feature famous Gibson 'Dirty Fingers' pickups, plus a coil top switch for even more versatility. And to really enhance your payability, the Custom has a three-piece maple neck and ebony fingerboard. The Sonex-180 Custom is also available in a striking white finish, as well as ebony.

Unlike comparably priced guitars, the Gibson Sonex series is made in the U.S., and is backed by a one year, limited warranty on all parts and labor. What's more, Sonex is backed by the strongest service center network in the industry.

Gibson guitars have shared the stage with some of the greatest rock names on earth. But never on earth has there been a Gibson guitar like the Sonex series. Designed for the future. But priced like time stood still.

chipstar

Elantric

I'll post a review of the  Switch Innovo III Vibrocell guitar Sunday. I have a gig Saturday night and i'll use it for a few tunes.

fredo

I contacted someone at InstrumentAlley in January to try and have one of those shipped to France, but the guy told me Switch was "restructuring" and that they stopped the production. He said that Switch guitars may be available again in a few months...

Sounds bad doesn't it ?