EHX 45000 Multi-Track Looping Recorder

Started by Now_And_Then, January 28, 2013, 07:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now_And_Then

http://www.ehx.com/products/45000_

http://www.ehx.com/products/45000_/product-photo

"Expected to Ship 02-22-2013"

This is a very interesting device. It is also a very pricey device.
MSRP: $634.94 but $476.21 at Musicians' Friend.
"Optional" but i reality very necessary foot controller:
MSRP: $159.00 but $119.25 at Musicians' Friend.

...for an actual street price of $595.46 if my arithmetic does not fail me.

The ability to have a footswitch on the floor and the knobs on the actual device somewhere within easy reach is such an obvious and long-needed improvement that one can only think that the price of doing so was what prevented other manufacturers from doing so.

The "Stereo Mixdown Track" also sounds interesting.

On the other hand, the unit only has 1/4" left and right inputs. This kind of makes an outboard mixer obligatory. And that further increases the price of an already expensive package. Note too the extremely limited output facilities as compared to the Boss RC-300.

Considering both the RC-300 and the EHX 45000, one vs the other, the choice is not at all clear-cut.

It is worth pondering...

Hopkins

Interesting.  They have addressed some of the well discussed issues on this forum:

"MIDI Clock Sync as master or slave"
"a built-in metronome to a separate Monitor Out and a Headphone Out"

Good point about the separation of the foot pedals and the unit and, as you say, using a mixdown channel is an interesting idea.  In fact, the whole stereo in thing but with full control of the pan of the four mono channels is quite a nice idea.  It certainly looks like it will fill a niche currently untouched by other loopers, although quite what that niche is I am not sure!

Threeleggedyoyo

It looks like a really good unit for people who like Multi Mode, especially if they have their hands free.

So I think it will be really popular with Beatboxers and DJ types.

I looked through the manual and can't determine for sure if it is capable of operating serially (Single Mode).

If I knew for sure and if it didn't need an expensive proprietary footswitch to operate without hands, I might be interested. But it looks like the answers are no.