1999 Godin Multiac SA Steel... What strings? Gauge?

Started by Sevenmodes, April 05, 2015, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevenmodes

Hi all... I just picked up a used, older (1999) Godin Multiac SA Steel with RMC saddles. It had been strung with .012 acoustics strings, but I thought this guitar was set up for more of a lighter, acoustic electric set. I've used .010-.047 extra lights before on Godin Duet steels. Is this one different? If anyone has one of these older ones, what strings are you using? What tracks the best?... I'm playing through a Boss GP-10 when I use the SA output.

Thanks

Elantric

Many Godin Multiac SA Steel players  i know use Martin Light .012-.054" Acoustic Light Strings:

Fret slap, lackluster tone results when strings are too thin. 

Be mindful that the Truss Rod will need re-adjustment when changing to a light gauge string, but IMHO 12-54 is about as light gauge string  I use on that type guitar  - its designed for Acoustic players where .013-.056 is considered typical gauge

FWIW - On my Godin LGX-SA Electric -( a very different puppy)  I use Fender Bullet .010-.052 

Sevenmodes

Hmmm... Ok. It's a little weird because the .054 that was on it when I got it didn't even sit down in the low E nut slot. It's all original as far as I know and it looks like the nut was cut for a .050 or smaller. I'll give some .011 Lights a try maybe and make adjustments. I also have an LGXT... but string mine with .09-.044. I just like a lighter gauge I suppose.

Thanks for the info

Sevenmodes

Update - I contacted Godin for some spec info and after I sent pics they informed me this is a very early 1999 ACS-SA with an early version of the slim neck profile (this one is 1.716 instead of the current, thinner 1-11/16). Reply email on the switching (I was unsure what one of the control switches was for) and factory setup info is below:

"The switch is a frequency selector. You can select the mid range frequency (700 hz or 1200 hz) that will be cut or boosted by the EQ's mid range control.

The guitar was factory fitted with .010-.047 phosphore bronze strings.
The string height set up is 5/64" at the 12th fret on the high E and between 6 and 7/64" at the 12th fret on the low E."

I think .010-.047 is a little light on this guitar at it's neck width, and I agree with Elantric on some of the comments but wanted to post for info purposes if anyone else is researching. It's sort of an oddball... But plays and sounds great.