FTP - Can someone send me an FTP MIDI recording, please ....

Started by Macciza, February 23, 2015, 04:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macciza

Hi All,
Could someone please do a quick MIDI recording from the FTP and send me the file, thanks...

What I need is (for example)
some hammer ons from open (and 5th) to 7th fret - legato'ish and distinct attack
Some pull offs from 7 to open (and 5th) - likewise
Some slides from 12 to 5th fret - fast and slow
Some slides from 5 to 12 th fret - fast and slow
Some tapping - legato'ish, distinct attack, and some trills - fast and slow for each

Just send me the file, including guitar audio if possible
Thanks in advance...
Cheers
MM
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

Elantric

Macciza

Seriously?
I have seen all that promo stuff and it tells me NOTHING!
I have asked a number of times for specific answers re MIDI response and got nothing ....
So I decided to ask for a simple recording so I can work it out myself, and get nothing....

This is getting bloody frustrating as I don't consider it that difficult a question ...
If an FTP user asked me similar questions about the VGs response I'd answer ....

So please, either answer this request with a MIDI file, or nothing ...
Or just answer one of my other detailed questioned directly ...

Sorry Elantric, nothing personal....
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

Elantric

Yet the attached video includes FTP demonstrations of all you seek below

What I need is (for example)
some hammer ons from open (and 5th) to 7th fret - legato'ish and distinct attack
Some pull offs from 7 to open (and 5th) - likewise
Some slides from 12 to 5th fret - fast and slow
Some slides from 5 to 12 th fret - fast and slow
Some tapping - legato'ish, distinct attack, and some trills - fast and slow for each

Macciza

But it tells me nothing about the MIDI data being sent ....
Which is what I am interested in, I want to know how it reacts ....
Hopefully I can find an Aussie with one and have it sorted in not time .....

Elantric

QuoteBut it tells me nothing about the MIDI data being sent ....

Hopefully you can locate an FTP in Oz to try for yourself

Here is the Aussie Fishman site
http://fishmanaus.com.au/fishman/tripleplay

Macciza

Hopefully someone can just answer my questions or send me a MIDI file ....

BackDAWman

I'm in Oz and have an FTP. I have done MIDI recordings with it. I could try and get one and post but I'm at work atm and can't get to it.

I have used the GR-55 and the FTP for MIDI recording and the FTP is superior. You still have to do a little editing with FTP but WAY less than I had to with the GR-55.

All the techniques you ask about are no problem for the FTP it is very transparent.

Give me a day or two and I'll dig out the MIDI file I did for Blondie's "Call Me". I did the synth solo and all keys in it with the FTP.

Macciza

You're not in Sydney though so i guess a visit is out of the question...
MIDI does not need to be whole song, just the few things I have asked about
A bunch of stuff I do is tailored to certain responses from the VG or GR
Without them the FTP is less appealing asI will lose expressiveness
For example, hammering on to 7th fret (from open)  in a legato fashion should give pitch bend from the open note, unless 2nd note is distinctly attacked
I can then map pitch bend to a parameter in my synth and vary tone depending on playing technique, providing different timbres depending on my playing
if the FTP is so 'good' that it just always sends the hammered note, not the pitchbend  then i lose a lot of sound quality making it 'bad'... Same for slides, tapping etc
Depending on a number of things i can get either pitchbend or the hammered note which helps give an 'organic' feel to what i am playing, not always reacting the same
But with some degree of 'hit&miss' control similar to an acoustic instrument, and i don't want to lose this ability

If you can just do a quick recording at some point of just the few things i asked for, that would be absolutely great, thanks....
Ive asked about this several times previously and never gotten any real answer....

BackDAWman

Yeah, I'm on the North Coast NSW.

I'll try and record something tonight with those parameters.

Macciza

BackDAWman

So this isn't very musical but you may find the data you need in the attached files.

It was done in Poly mode and in chromatic mode. There are a few different pitch bend modes so if you need another midi file with those settings I can do that.

Just import the midi and the audio file straight into a DAW to see the relationship between the guitar signal and the midi result.

One other thing to keep in mind is that my old strat has a LOT of fret wear and intonation is not good. I'm in the middle of a project atm to put the FTP on one of my ZT3s.

EDIT: The audio file was in .wav format and was too big. I'll try and convert it to mp3.

Spider

BackDAWman

Quote from: BackDAWman on February 25, 2015, 12:36:56 PM
It was done in Poly mode and in chromatic mode. There are a few different pitch bend modes so if you need another midi file with those settings I can do that.

Yep. Poly mode and chromatic.

Macciza

Aaah sorry i should have made it explicit
I want to see what pitch bend info it sends

thanks

shawnb

This is a quick dump of me noodling around.  Yes, there are some 5 & 7 fret pulloffs in there.   I even threw in some slide at the end to give you some more wheel info to look at!

Yes, you will notice that, as expected, wheel events are used for legato whenever there is an existing note playing.  The big 7-fret pulloff causes a wheel event with a value of ~-2388.   Thus, since I do a LOT of hammerons, the ratio of notes 'heard' to MIDI notes is high.

I filtered out all the gunk on channel 8.   

Mono/Auto
PBR=24
Sampletank 3 custom voice I created in an attempt to emulate a GR300, using the ST3 "Open Raw Saw" instrument
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb

And yes, the 'glitch' in the middle was me hitting it a bit too hard...   But I didn't want to do another take...

I didn't want to edit it, so you'd get the real raw data. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Macciza

Thank you
It's primarily the wheel events with legato hammers that I am interested in and had never before been able to get an answer to or confirmation of, until now ...
Hopefully one day I will get to try one out withmy gear ....