SampleTank 3 VST n FTP issues (n more questions)

Started by FrankG, September 08, 2014, 06:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankG

Anyone having issues with ST3 (full version) as a VST in the FTP stand alone?

I've tried numerous scan's within the FTP standalone and it either gives C+ errors or doesn't recognize the DLL.

Ultimately I want to replace my GR55 with the FTP... Slowly I'm getting up to speed on the whole VST/Softsynth learning curve...

After wasting many GigaRams of DataCap on iffy Synth voices, I broke the bank and have bought SampleTank 3 with 4000 plus Voice Library (it will do what I need :)

in an ideal world I'd like to completely control the FTP via a Native instruments Rig Kontrol3 for true hands free control while playing live. With an emphasis on fast patch changes.

It looks like the Stand Alone FTP with ST3 (if it worked as a VST) n Guitar Rig would be ideal, but I m not sure where to start with the Rig Kontrol config and the VST issues.

The FTP is running on a dedicated laptop with an i3 2.5ghz processor 8Gig ram n 1TB HD... The Rig Control is working great as the Audio interface as well.

I've given Guitar Rig a fair look and it looks like it will work great to handle the analog guitar processing side while Amplitube looks like a hassle after a quick once over though both entail yet another purchase to get full functionality.

I'm able to make one more cash outlay to make this happen, but after the cost of the FTP, Laptop, Rig Kontrol and most recently ST3 I want to step carefully to ensure that I ultimately will have a functional system.

If I could get the ST3 vst to work in the FTP standalone, can the Set/Song/Patch switches be handled by the RigKontrol3???

After playing with the ST3 Standalone, I've defined the 15 or so standard voices that are my bread n butter as Multi's and have created a single "Song" in the "Live" section that allows patch changes that are just barely fast enough... I've tried the "Learn" function to map the FTP Volume Control ok, but can't get the RK3 to be recognized by the ST3 Software...

I've un installed and re-installed both the FTP n ST3 apps...

At this point I'm quite frustrated by being able to see the potential of the FTP coupled with ST3 as a stand alone and Guitar Rig n the RigKontrol as a Stand Alone, but have hit a wall trying to get them all to work together...

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Frank
the power to do nothing is tremendous, but it must not be abused...

FrankG

Kudos to IK MMedia support for such fast response...

ST3 is a 64Bit VST so has to run in the 64bit FTP standalone...

Eventually this won't all seem so confusing... I hope :)

vablows

FrankG

Hey VABlows...

I really like ST3, and now that I have the VST issue resolved even more!!!

I blew off so much time dicking about with various synths n samples off Pirate Bay, download sites and freebie demos only to wipe my setup completely and resolve to just have one registered library and be done with it...

The selection is pretty diverse with over 3000 Sampled voices and various articulations of voices ie Trumpet n Mute Trumpet etc...

Though in all fairness I'm after largely organic sounding clean instruments ie a Baby Grand, B3 Organ Upright fretless bass, etc...

So I have virtually no interest in the NI Reaktor type sounds or even much of the 100's of Synth Lead/Pad sounds that come with ST3.

As mentioned above, I hardly need more than 15 to 20 patches total to do my Schtick which is "Live Looping" on the street as a Busker.

Now that I have ST3 and Guitar rig working together nicely inside the FTP stand Alone app I'm aiming to create the minimum number of Patches, dump them into a single Song (hopefully to pre-fetch/load the patches for fast loading) and start the process of configuring the Rig Kontrol to handle Patch changes...

Although the FTP and ST3 combo are just stunning in terms of tracking and Voice quality over the GR-55 I'm even more impressed with the amount of engineering that must have gone into the GR-55 back in 2011 when I first started using mine...

...fg

Elantric

QuoteIf I could get the ST3 vst to work in the FTP standalone, can the Set/Song/Patch switches be handled by the RigKontrol3???

Need to configure the NI RigKontrol3 to transmit MIDI  - use the NI Controller Editor to set that up

more here:
Native Instruments Rig Kontrol 3
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8574.0

FrankG

FrankG

After several hours of testing n config I have a handful of ST3 based patches created, and a couple of patches that mix with "Modest" Guitar Rig patches to get a fuller sounds.

After using just the ST3 standalone, I really like the additional functionality the FTP host offers for tweaking how bends behave... The FTP-64 host also switches between patches very very fast as compared to the 32bit host and older SampleTank 2.5 that came as part of the FTP bundle.

I reviewed the NI RigKontrol pdf to get a better idea on assigning Midi messages... unfortunately I'm in the zone of unknown unknowns... I get the CC, NC n PC distinction in Midi, but I need to determine the message path for the messages to ensure they are sent on the USB interface to the Laptop and not the ext 5 pin DIN... and I'm somewhat unsure of assigning "Patch UP" vs "Patch DN" as that seems like an Increment or Decrement operator relative to the current patch selected.

After watching the series of Video's on the second page of the Link Elantric Posted above, I may be able to live with a Psuedo Bank/Patch navigation system to avoid smacking the Patch Select 14 times to get from one end of the list to the other...

And completely un-related would be to have at least one patch that Does Allow the Midi NC messages to pass thru the RigKontrol via it's external 5-Pin DIN to an Alesis SR-18 Drum Machine... (I'd worked it out with a Korg PadKontrol 3 years ago, but never found a good performance use for it beyond expanding the size n number of triggers)... My motivation would be to finally have super responsive Perc n Drum samples that are better than even ST3 (Which are ok but still not "Super Fast")...

Frank

Elantric

Read
MIDI controller Setup / Debug
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

That explain the tools used to verify MIDI communication on your system

Headless68

question in relation to this thread -
Im currently running 32bit version of win 7  - If I want to upgrade to ST3 presumably I have to take Win7 to 64 bit first but then are 32bit apps still compatible?

Cheers
Phil

FrankG

Hey Phil,

I don't think so... I think it's the FTP standalone that has to be 64-bit, though I'm using Win 8.1...

...Frank

Elantric

My 2 cents - IN 2014 and the future  I suggest avoid all 32 bit versions of Windows OS, and buy the machine with the 64 bit OS. 

Its not 2005 when most of us ran Win XP and all music apps were compatible.

Today i have several computers of different types - and the one that gives me the most grief is my Dell running Win7 32 bit OS - I had assumed this would yield better support for my older apps - yet in practice its quite the opposite.

Todays 64 bit OS run all 64 bit and 32 bit programs just fine and a 64 bit OS provides a path for more addressable RAM ( I typically have 16GB RAM on my machines) - you have more options for running older OS's in Virtual Machines ( VM)  - I use VMWare player(Win)  or VM Fusion (OSX)  so I can have a time machine back to 2005 and  have a virtual WinXP environment to run important apps on all my platforms ( OSX, Win7)

Only exception I know is some CAD applications ( SolidWorks) that use the specific designated 32 or 64 bit version of Windows