N.I. Guitar Rig 5

Started by supernicd, January 08, 2014, 04:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

szilard

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 08, 2014, 04:49:50 AM
I've had NI Guitar Rig since version 2 or 3...  It has always been one of those "bonus" products that's rolled in with Komplete for me.  Starting with version 4, I really started using it a lot for effects, particularly Reflektor on vocal tracks, but admittedly never used it much for its intended purpose of, well, being a guitar rig.  It always seemed a little extra CPU hungry and a little lackluster in some way that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

I finally had some time to really explore version 5 as a guitar amp and effects modeler over the past few days.  And I was blown away by how good this version is!  There are really two new components that make it for me.

Control Room Pro, which has all of those super high quality, extremely realistic cabinet IRs from RedWirez, and lets you easily mix and match up to 8 of those and control their levels and pans.  You can get so much tonal variety in here without ever touching your amp settings or FX chain.

And Vintage Verb.  While it's limited to 4 plate and 4 spring reverbs, each of them sound SO good.  They are just exactly what I want to hear.  And to my ear, reverb units are a very common place for guitar processors to fall short of the mark.

This product's been out for a while, so I guess this isn't news to anyone.  But I guess after spending some time with it, I'm surprised it doesn't come up more often 'round here.  Anyone else using this on a regular basis?

I got a lite version with Sonar years ago and upgraded over the holidays - for the price it seemed like a steal, even if all I use are the effects. I was a bit surprised when I tried it out to find that there were a number of patches I liked. I agree with you, I think it's improved a lot. I realized I tried it with a Godin LGXT. The next day I tried it with a Fender Am Std Strat with Joe Barden PUps and couldn't find a patch I liked. I think GR5 has problems with higher frequencies.

The amps I have work with humbuckers as well as single coils and so do TH2 and Scuffham. I think TH2 and Scuffham are better SW modelers, but I'm sure GR5 will find some use with some of my guitars.

Headless68

...I know its almost 2 years on, but, I too have had GR5 kicking around for ages and not really used it, primarily because I hated Rig Kontrol 3 so much I just reverted to hardware solutions.....however for those of you in the same boat and are testing JamOrigin Midi Guitar 2 its well worth using GR5 to effect the synths &/or run parallel guitar in the MG2 front end - the results will make you smile I guarantee it.

Headless68

Anyone run GR5 on Win 10 yet ?   

supernicd

I have a Win 10 machine with Komplete loaded on it.  Can't remember if I tried GR5.  I can try it and report back.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

myksara

Hi

I recently purchased apple macbook pro md101 with 4gb ram and 500gb hdd.
Guitar rig runs good but  to my critical ears theres a slight latency that one can probably live with but not me.
To make it usable live i plan to upgrade either the ram to 8gb or ibstall a SSD.
General statement would be to upgrade both but I want to upgrade to SSD only if it matters in this application..would just a RAM upgrade suffice?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

GuitarBuilder

Based on your description I'm assuming this is the 2.5GHZ i5 model.

What interface are you using?

How did you configure your audio device and Guitar Rig?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

admin

QuoteGuitar rig runs good but  to my critical ears theres a slight latency that one can probably live with but not me.

What are you using for an audio interface?

myksara

Yes that is a 2.5ghz i5.
I am using apogee jam
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

admin

QuoteI am using apogee jam

i do not have a Apogee JAM, but you should be able to Lower the buffer to 128 and get under 10 millseconds  round trip latency

cplm

2016 01 14  --> Version 5.2.1 is out now and it seems to address few issues.

Previous version was out in 2013.

Headless68

Thanks for this - I thought I had screwed up the patch data base on the 'Info' data not showing in the live view - this fixed it

slightly shocked how long the patch was to come out (2 years!)

Loving GR5 though - did first full volume band rehearsal with it this week and I hardly had to tweek anything - it sounded really good!

Headless

Elantric

In 2012, I had predicted that  N.I would have new updated Guitar RigKontrol hardware by now -  and have a major update to Guitar Rig

But it shows that their focus on the DJ market (with N.I.  Traktor and N.I. Maschine) is far more dominant and profitable than the guitar market at this time.

Much of this has to do with the fact that  guitar based music seldom is listed here
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

acousticglue

That Top100 list made me want to take my guitar and off myself with it.

The real thing is this: many guitar based bands/music is broken down and dissected into millions of artists now. People play, they can listen to whoever everywhere. The big labels buy into Bieber and the likes. Dance beats are sex erotica for TV shows/TV hype as back in the day having bikinis and no strong language was at forefront. In the backend everyone was doing what they now see on TV. My grandson mezmerized by first site of Joe Satrianai video and also loving to watch any dancing and music on TV. Loves the guitar to be broken out. We are all interested in music technology. But it has busted the spokes off the wheel.

acousticglue

They need add Replika into GR5 so it can be used standalone and in the box. I still love this plugin among best I have. Headcase is very good sounds as well even if bridged mode. Sgear works great and Bias although a CPU hog at times is nice sounding. A4 is pushed back at times now by myself. I love the 4000 preset collection of NI GR5. Rated most of them and use it that way/

admin

Native Instruments pulls the plug on legacy products
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Native Instruments pulls the plug on legacy products
Native Instruments pulls the plug on legacy products ·  Source: Native Instruments

Native Instruments announces a hard cut in its product line. And that certainly affects a lot of musicians and producers more or less hard. The manufacturer is now publishing a list of "old" plug-ins, which it will remove from its portfolio from May 31, 2020. And that means: You can neither install nor activate these sample libraries, VSTs and VSTi. Then what happens to our older songs?

Native Instruments discontinues legacy products
If your hard drive is overflowing with old songs that were (in most cases) produced with Native Instruments plug-ins or sounds, now is the time to act. Because the manufacturer posted a large list of old products that should no longer be part of the inventory from May 31, 2020 . This list includes many NI synthesizers and other virtual instruments . There are also some third-party sample libraries .

Of course, the plug-ins and libraries should continue to "run". But reinstalling and the associated authorization supposedly should no longer work. This is related to the old " Service Center " software, which will also no longer run. The new and current products only trust the NI Access app .

We don't know if this is due to the company's restructuring . Most of these products are more than ten years old. Some even have a good 15 years under their belt. And an infinitely long support time is more of a utopia anyway for all products on the market. On the other hand, NI has shaped the market with its plug-ins and some instruments are still popular today. In any case, this means that almost all musicians from the years 2000-2010 will soon no longer have 100 percent access to their music projects.

These NI plug-ins and libraries are affected
VST instruments: Battery and Battery 2, Absynth 2 and 3, B4, B4 II, Guitar Rig, Guitar Rig 2, FM7, Pro-52/53, Reaktor up to version 5, older versions of Traktor and some more.

Sample Libraries: East West (EWQLSO Silver and Gold, Boesendorfer 290, SO Brass / Percussion / Strings / Woodwinds, Stormdrum, Symphonic Choirs and others), Best Service (Chris Hein Horns, Galaxy Steinway and more), Zero-G, Big Fish Audio, Garritan and a few others.

What's your opinion about ...? Or have you already finished with the old NI plug-ins?

More info
List of affected products
More from the manufacturer

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006053397
https://www.gearnews.de/native-instruments-zieht-bei-legacy-produkten-den-stecker-plugin-vst-au-aax/